Re-Imagine a Game

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
Re-imagine any game as a different genre. It can be as plausible or ridiculous as you want.

For example:

Diablo (the first one) as a survival horror game. You're already wandering around dark crypts, catacombs, caves and the earthly manifestation of Hell, fighting off terrible monsters, and the story [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Diablo] itself is plenty sad and gloomy, so it's not like you'd have to re-work the setting. Even the soundtrack is suitably eerie for the most part, so at the very least you'd have a strong foundation to work from.

[small]Listen to around 2:06-3:58[/small]​

I'm picturing something a bit like Silent Hill, only preferably less clunky (especially combat-wise, given that your character is a warrior and all.) You'd still be able to buy gear and items in town, but money would be fairly scarce since monsters wouldn't just cough up gold and equipment when killed.

Damn, now I really want this game. I can just imagine how terrifying encountering the butcher would be.

darthmason0719

Dec 28, 2010
hm... how about... COD as a rpg.
You already have the levels and the unlockables. Why not have a skill assigned to each gun. The more you use a particular gun you get higher damage, less recoil, ect.
CALL INFINITY WARD RIGHT NOW

rt052192

Feb 24, 2010
Oblivion, the exact same game...but with a Lord of the Rings setting/storyline! That would be my form of Heaven! Also, I believe this is my 1000th post...

VileTerror

Dec 22, 2010
How about City of Heroes / City of Villains as a "The Sims" style game?

Keep the character creation process the same as City of Heroes / City of Villains (or "CoX" as the fans call it . . . ), but add a customizable personality menu, similar to the Sims 2 (only Sims game I have personal experience with).
Would your heroes have a sunny disposition and be altruistic, or be dark and brooding and only a "hero" in so much as they pursue criminals? Would your metas* have a secret identity, or would they just be who they are? Would your villains have some grand lofty goal driving them forward, or are they just in it for the anarchy?
You'd also get to build your city, or just load a pre-fab one, populate it with hundreds of thousands of ultra-simple civilians, and then seed in the heroes and villains. Watch them evolve, and when one strikes your fancy, dive in to their brain (Dungeon Keeper style) and do a little first-person adventuring/scheming! Possibly as an expansion they could also add the feature of building a Fortress of Solitude / Diabolical Lair of Evil!

The biggest dilemna would be theme, I think. As comic book fans refer to them: The Ages. Golden Age, Silver Age, etc. Would the game's overall tone be campy and brightly coloured? Would it be grimdark? "90s Style"? Noir? Ideally this would be an option which players could select, but that would likely add some substancial development costs.
I personally lost interest in CoX when the current Lead Dev officially called it a "comic book MMO." Previous team leads had been very careful not to overty refer to the game as such, since it was crafted in such a way that you could actually call it a post-modern metahuman setting, without bringing in comic book tropes. As such, if the game which I am essentially pitching here would ever be made, I personally would prefer to see it kept relatively close to realistic, with the obvious break from reality being the metahuman super-powers.

I also like the Diablo Survival Horror game idea, although I think it might work better if you play as one of the Tristram civilians who were part of the militia formed before the game begins. You'd wake up at the edge of hell, and try to escape upward as the hellish denizens begin to rise up behind you, snapping at your heels! The game would conclude with you arriving at the surface . . . just in time to be run-through by some anxious hero on his way down in to the catacombs to slay the undead!

* Meta: A colloquial term for any super-powered being, without infringing on the Marvel/DC copyright.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
Zelda as an FPS, oops... too late.
<youtube=j55ujwFW2dw>
I guess I'll say Persona 4 as a hack 'n slash action game would be interesting

Corjha

Mar 14, 2008
Street Fighter 4 as a visual novel/dating sim. I am now unable to remove the image of a tsundere Zangief from my head.

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
Super Metroid as a first-per-AH! Almost got ya there! Nah, but seriously, who could've guesssed that would've worked so well.

Actually, Metroid: Prime as a horror game. It's definitely got the frame work. Actually, the original game plan on Echoes was basically that, you get trapped on this dark abandoned space station, and plays as Metroid/Horror game.

'twould be very cool.

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
rt052192 said:
Oblivion, the exact same game...but with a Lord of the Rings setting/storyline! That would be my form of Heaven! Also, I believe this is my 1000th post...
Isn't that what they already did?

I imagine Oblivion, but actually set in Tamriel.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
rt052192 said:
Yup. And I believe this is my 1885th.

Sir Boss

Mar 24, 2011
Just Cause 2 with Giant Mecha.
an Elder Scrolls/Falloutish game set during the age of exploration
a Total War game with Lord Of The Rings setting

rt052192

Feb 24, 2010
maturin said:
rt052192 said:
Isn't that what they already did?

I imagine Oblivion, but actually set in Tamriel.
kinda...but I want Middle Earth and Orcs and all the Tolkien lore

GRYPHOM

Jul 30, 2010
Hmm.. I kinda want to see Gordon Freeman Teaches Typing. That would make me giggle.
But seriously, Half Life as a Legend of Zelda-type adventure.

Scarecrow

Jun 27, 2010
KennardKId5 said:
Mario as a shooter.
Already being done buddy:
OT: Maybe something in the way Saints Row 2 as a RTS. Taking control of the other gangs, running drugs and what not. That would be cool. It would be even cooler if you could deiced what gang you controlled.