Ready Your Wallets For the "Not On Steam Sale " - UPDATED

Apr 25, 2009
Damn, I wish I had been able to get in on this... That's really disappointing. Oh well.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
Ed130 said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Covarr said:
More like the "couldn't get through Greenlight" sale. Mousecraft looks pretty decent, but other than that I'm having a hard time falling in love with any of these games.

P.S. Thanks
More like the "Valve we choose games that aren't done over these completed games" sale.
FIFY

Looks like some got through the popularity contest that is Greenlight after all so good for them.
I'd still have to say that Valve chose to put incomplete games over completed games. Yes, we voted for the games, but Valve can choose to not Greenlight games that probably won't see the light of day.

"We" voted for Death Inc. The company went out of business. Valve choose to Greenlight the game anyways.

"We" voted for Shadow of the Immortals. The game's Kickstarter failed twice, badly and is currently on hold with no means of funding. Valve chose to Greenlight it still.

That's my problem with Greenlight. In the end Valve still curates the Steam library with Greenlight and Valve can choose to not Greenlight games that, frankly, won't see a release. Period. They could instead Greenlight a game that is at least close to done or done. The current Greenlight proccess isn't that good and open for indie devs if they are constantly being slighted due to simple votes. There seems to be a lack of critical thinking when it comes to Greenlighting games.

Why bother Greenlighting a game that has no chance of being made at all over a game that's also popular with voter, but actually done or close to done.
So your complaining that Valve doesn't arbitrarily say no to games that thousands of Steam users had voted for?

You can't have it both ways, the Greenlight system was created due to people complaining that Valve could just (and in several cases did) say no to a game and that was it. Now you Valve to just say no to games again in-spite of several thousand users voting for it? Even when excited devs post on their Greenlight pages that they are now in the top ten/twenty/one-hundred?

So what if some games are not coming out now (if ever?) There isn't a limited number of slots to Steam, in fact there are several games/mods from the first wave that have yet to come out and that hasn't stopped Valve confirming over one-hundred and fifty Greenlight projects in the past few months.

Finally who says those games won't eventually come out? A confirmed place on Steam is a good selling point for potential investors and the devs have paid the fee donation and put in the work to get the votes. If anyone does have the right to veto the Greenlight it should be the ones who stuck it up there in the first place.

Greenlight is a messed up system, its essentially a popularity contest but if you are going to to complain about it, make sure you remember that in the end of the day the majority of people voted in Yogscast Adventures.

Ahhh, the joys of democracy at work.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Not on steam games sale- awesome - oh wait its unfinished games indies bunch - and back to the regular routine of being cynical and hating everything.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
These look like a bunch of subpar alpha-state indie games...

A few look nice and even promising, but I far prefer the curation that steam offers for these kinds of games. Thanks for reporting on it though! I like the idea of a few of these and look forward to seeing what they turn out to be post-alpha.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
I'd rather wait and see if they get Greenlighted on Steam. So far, it seems like a pretty good way to do some basic, community-based quality control.
Interesting idea though.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I feel a having a description for each game would be very helpful as clicking through the videos to get an idea of the games is time consuming and annoying.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Neat, I've been following a bunch of the games from this sale. Might as well buy them all now.

Has anyone played Richard and Alice? It's the only one I'm on the fence about.

Strazdas said:
Not on steam games sale- awesome - oh wait its unfinished games indies bunch - and back to the regular routine of being cynical and hating everything.
Lightknight said:
These look like a bunch of subpar alpha-state indie games...
Only a fraction is unfinished (indicated by the hourglass icon), most of the games are complete.

rofltehcat said:
Ok, can someone who knows more about those titles help me out here?
1. WTF is The Yawhg supposed to be?
Basically it's a co-optional choose-your-own-adventure kind of game (although you can just as well play alone of course) with 2-4 characters.
Each week every character can choose a location in town to visit and one of the corresponding occupations (e.g. go to tavern and either have a drink or be a barkeeper) which raises certain stats (charisma, strength, mind, etc). Each location has a number of random events with multiple choices (partly mundane, partly very weird), the outcome of which depends on stats (e.g. you can break up a fight in the tavern with enough charisma, otherwise you fail. Or you can join the fight.). Some events have lasting effects or can be witnessed by other characters.
This goes on for six or seven weeks until the Yahwg, which is a sort of catastrophe, and depending on each character's actions there's an ending wrapping everything up.

There're quite a lot of events for the game to last a bunch of playthroughs but a single playthrough is very short (15-25 min maybe, depending on how fast you read). The music is very nice, though. I wouldn't recommend the game for $10 but for half the price it's worth a try if you're into this sort of stuff.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Smertnik said:
Only a fraction is unfinished (indicated by the hourglass icon), most of the games are complete.
Only a fraction? Like 9/10ths?

Joking aside, I think it was the listing I saw yesterday that made me think that. Revisiting the site today showed a lot more innovative and finished games.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
ccdohl said:
Covarr said:
More like the "couldn't get through Greenlight" sale.
haha

The Escapist needs a like button for posts do that I don't have to quote and respond to say "I agree"

I agree.
Sort of like... a comment rating system? :p

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I might buy something, if they had a damn tag system. You'd think with the aim of increasing accessibility to these games, they make them a bit, well, accessible. I am NOT going to rifle through several dozen youtube videos in the hopes of finding my kind of RPG or simulator. I do enough of that crap when voting on Greenlight.

Kuala BangoDango

Mar 19, 2009
So what happens to a game on NotOnSteam if the game ends up on Steam (gets Greenlit)? Does the game get removed from the NotOnSteam service? And if so what happens for all those people who bought the game? Do they lose access? And if NotOnSteam keeps a game that ends up on Steam then won't that make their name a lie?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Kuala BangoDango said:
So what happens to a game on NotOnSteam if the game ends up on Steam (gets Greenlit)? Does the game get removed from the NotOnSteam service? And if so what happens for all those people who bought the game? Do they lose access? And if NotOnSteam keeps a game that ends up on Steam then won't that make their name a lie?
Not On Steam isn't a service, it's just a list of games that are currently available for purchase on other platforms or directly from the developers that aren't on Steam. Nothing happens if and when they make it on Steam, except that they're on Steam. (And I read somewhere that at least some devs have promised to provide to provide Steam keys to everyone who purchases the game pre-Steam if they get through Greenlight.)

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
More than half of those have a Greenlight campaign going.

This isn't "Not On Steam", it's "Not On Steam, yet".

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
To me, it just seems like I shouldn't have to pay for most of these games because it seems like most of these games belong on a flash game website.