Rebecca Mayes Muses: Christmas Song

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
Good to see one last one before Rebecca Mayes leaves, didn't know what had happened. Wasn't really announced widely just noticed that her feature had dropped off the side bar.

Randomspike

Pinball Wizard
Oct 12, 2010
Irridium said:
The Random Paradox said:
Impluse_101 said:
I'd be sad if you left the escapist...but I'd be ok in the end..
I'm sorry to break the bad news to you but... http://www.gamepeople.co.uk/audioblog_rebeccamayes_29.htm
My internets being screwy and not letting me view the page. I got that she's leaving, but would you be able to give me some more detail? Possibly just copy/paste whats there to hear so I can read it?
"I will no longer be making songs and videos for the escapist. My Christmas eve edition will be the next and final episode in the series of Rebecca Mayes Muses."

That's the main part of it, the rest is just saying to keep an eye on her blog for future updates and the announcement of her new album.

Frankfurter4444

Aug 11, 2009
Loved the video, Becks. The "blow my mind...up" was just great.

Shame you'll be leaving since I enjoyed your mixed-metaphorical songwriting. I hope maybe if the mood strikes you one day, you can drop a special video on the site as a nice little wink to us.

Good luck with everything and I'll be rooting for you (and by that I most likely mean "buying the CD")

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
Brace yourselves:

But maybe I'm too late for the party, but what the seven shades of hell is this?
X-Factor-eqse noise, a vaguely videogame-based feel, lots of 'hi-jinks' ripped directly from cartoons and then a lavish oral session from a gaggle of dateless nerds in the comments.

Music is music. Games are games. Musical games are button mashing spam-parties and this is droning boring, christmasy shit. With a girl.
Apparently video game music commentary is the last resort for tone-deaf, X-Factor rejects who couldn't sing their way out of a drunk karaoke with a football team. (And no, American 'Football' is not football, you addled Americans, its rugby for pansies).

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
Awesome song. Keep up the good work, Rebecca, be it with the Escapist or elsewhere.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
Oh, thank Bog. RM was gone for so long, I was afraid some World Court judge had issued a restraining order demanding that she not only remain on the other side of the planet from You Know Who, but that she could not even in habit the same web site as he. I really really was afraid she was gone. I mean, that would have been half of my reason for coming to the site, gone like a puff of smoke. I feel safer now. I'm not hyperventilating any more. Whew.

And then I read the blog linked up above. I'm hyperventilating again. I must believe that our little caterpillar is about to shed her pupae in favor of the glorious wings of fame and fortune. Sing, petite papillon. Sing to the drumming of our tears of sorrow and of joy.

nick2150

Dec 17, 2008
Huh?

feel you may not have a complete grasp on music and how much effort something like this takes...

composing, recording and performing a piece of music in a specific theme is in no way related to what happens on x-factor.

X-factor is glorified karaoke with sub standard singers auto tuned to the nth degree. (see "when we collide" vs "many of horror")

what Rebecca Mayes does produce a song on her own (not take another song from another composer and present it as their own. see Cheryl Cole "parachutes" vs Ingrid Michealson "parachutes").

To do this she has to make a song in a specific style and theme which is infinitely harder than just making any old song. Then she plays and records it herself in her house, not a studio, which is an insanely hard thing to do well. To top it all off she doesn?t use an ounce of auto tune on her voice which I prefer to the flat automated sound of autotune.

oh yea and then she films and edits a video to go with the music....

not everyone gets the opportunity to get backing from one of the four big record companies. Some people do it all on their own.

Also comparing rugby to American football is like comparing football to Gaelic football. Both have similar shaped balls, but the rules and tactics differ somewhat.

:)

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Sad to see you go even if your lasts videos weren't my favorites.

I hope you do great. Have a great life Becca.

DSQ

Jun 30, 2009
wow, I wonder what happened to this series?

edit: Nevermind, I have read above.