Rebecca Mayes Muses: Love Song for Yahtzee

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
I have mixed feelings about this song. First the lyrics in the first verse are just awkward. I really don't know how to put it correctly but awkward is a decent word for it. The second verse was much better. Granted it could be I really love irony but it is probably that the second verse just fit more. The bridge was okay and that is really all I am going to say. Now the chorus which counts for 60% since it should be what sticks in people's minds and it is 45% of the song. The chorus is awesome. It was catchy and makes me want to listen to the song repeatedly. All things considered 3.5 or 4 out of 5.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
It was fine I spose. Forgive my apathy for this song, I tend to listen to music that is normally upwards from 130BPM :D

Nevertheless, keep up the good work!

Thick

Feb 10, 2009
Let's get one thing straight: I am not a fan. I saw your (Rebecca's) first song on the escapist-The Sims, I think it was- and remember thinking it was so awful that you should get the axe to clear space for a better skit. When I saw you at the end of my beloved ZP talking about a related song you were doing I was all, "Noooooo!"

So imagine my surprise when I effing loved this song. Seriously, it was really great; surprisingly deep and filled with the sort of caustic love that I think does honor to Yahtzee. The fact that I honestly can't tell if you would take him out for that drink to flirt or to stab him in the throat with a screwdriver is a good thing for a song like this.

It leaves me divided. Part of me wants to go back to your other videos and give you another chance, but I'm afraid that they will make me hate you again, which I don't want to do because I loved this song so much.

I'll probably just let this high note be the memory I keep of you after a terrible debut.

Oskamunda

Dec 26, 2008
So...I'm confused.

Are you actually trying to excite Yahtzee by being passive aggressive and dangerous while simultaneously paying homage to his style of work?

Or are you really a feminist who is overreacting to some perceived slight by an Editorialist on the Interweb by writing a song that includes genuine depictions of how much you hate him?

Is the title "Bloodhound" supposed to be complimentary, or insulting? By love song, are you being sarcastic or serious? I dunna geddit.

Ba5

Jun 30, 2010
I love reading my own posts, I had this page bookmarked obviously. Oh yes.

Scrumpmonkey said:
People seem to forget that she writes a song in a week every week. that's something pretty hard to work under and even if you don't like it you must at least respect the effort. But then again asking the nebulous bunch of semi-misogynist dickbags that make up the internet this is a big ask. Seriously guys, there are new accounts here just to personally tear into someone who writes songs and lets people veiw them for free?

There is some real irrational hate here, is rebecca mayes such a ubiquitous presense in your every day life she manages to annoy you that much? I can understand people hating on something if its' EVERYWHERE and an ultra-fad ala Twilight or Lady GaGa but this an obscure games reveiw song writer which is only acessible through you clicking on the escapist link? I just don't get why people go through the effort.

Persionally i liked the song, thought it picked up nicely towards the end.

That said the post-ending it's self was horrible, made me cringe a little. > . <
I know it's not your fault, and you're not responsible for her actions in the slightest, but come on. I'm not an expert at songwriting, but there's a reason good artists take ages to make a good album: writing good songs takes time. Instead of making crap music every week (just assuming that it's all crap if this song was her at standard quality), she could make one slightly better song every 2 weeks, or every month.

Her lyrics are just terrible, with her reaching for rhymes, it's got nothing to do with her being a woman, or the Internet being filled with misogynists.
And how can Yahtzee "prop up the man for sure", while not being a corporate whore? If she means he's being nice to all videogame developers and publishers, did she ever watch his videos? If she means he's being negative to them, propping up means supporting something or someone. Her lyrics make no sense.

Also, I laughed at the bloodhound comment, and Googling "wit of a bloodhound" leaves you with two results, both on this website's forum. Yeah, she's a lyrical genius.

And no, she is not a presence in my life, but just like just about every visitor of this site, I only watch ZP. I've heard of this woman before, but it didn't appeal to me, so never watched her videos (just like everything else on this site except ZP). Now she's suddenly a part of ZP, so I had no choice but to watch. Obviously, I did have the choice to turn off the clip the entire time, but I watched it as Yahtzee, with his extremely high standards, pasted it in his video, so I expected it to be on par with his stuff. It wasn't. By a long shot.

THOUGHT EXPERIMENT:

Imagine if Yahtzee was a woman and the singer a man. Her videogame review videos would be as entertaining as ever, exactly the same, except with a female UK accent. His music video would be exactly the same, but with a male voice and singer near the end. Would everyone still like the song as much? Or laugh at him threatening to stab her with a screwdriver? Would that be funny? Or just stupid and creepy?

Or is it okay to post bad music because the singer has a vagina?

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
sigh... everyone on this site eventually uses a Yahtzee parody or reference to bolster their fame, oh well, at least it was decent

Nikajo

Feb 6, 2009
That was actually quite funny!

I'm a little confused though...yes it's called "lovesong for yahtzee" but I wasn't sure if it was a come-on or a threat...? If yahtzee does go out for a drink with you he would be well advised to keep a tazer in arms reach just incase! Good stuff :)

Spamoo

Dec 3, 2009
It was an okay song...

but at what point has Yahtzee been misogynistic? If I recall correctly he thinks "people are shit" in general.

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
CaseySmith said:
MasochisticMuse said:
Plus Rebecca... underarm hair, ew. If I have to shave my shit, so do you, lady.
That made my day.

Yes, conform to our expectations... Now get in the kitchen and make me a sandwich! :D
I used to think the "make me a sandwich" thing was funny, but now it's just getting tired. Can't you switch it up with other female stereotypes once in awhile, like "Go do my laundry" or "Go pop out a baby" or something? Maybe even "Go get sexually repressed by the Church for hundreds of years"? Gotta keep it fresh.

CaseySmith

Mar 5, 2010
MasochisticMuse said:
CaseySmith said:
MasochisticMuse said:
That made my day.

Yes, conform to our expectations... Now get in the kitchen and make me a sandwich! :D
I used to think the "make me a sandwich" thing was funny, but now it's just getting tired. Can't you switch it up with other female stereotypes once in awhile...
No. :>

stormyfs

Sep 15, 2008
To be perfectly honest, *I* have done more outwardly psychopathic women, so I'm sure Yahtzee could handle himself. Win her over with his natural wit and charm... Well, wit...

Personally, I liked the song, and I have enjoyed the majority of the ones that she has posted here for the lovely public. I can only assume from the deluge of vitriol that is due to my own musical taste, which obviously differs from that of a lot of angry people.
It would be 'nice' if Yahtzee decided to throw caution to the wind and recorded a response, but I doubt it will happen.

I'd just like to mention that nothing brings the heart-rate up, or brings the body in close proximity to another quite like wrestling a screwdriver off someone. It's a blatant come-on. :p

GamerPhate

Aug 22, 2008
So I am still not sure.. did he knock her up and not call her?

Or is there a reason he likes that pickle spread so well?

(seriously though - was entertaining, but I have seen the jilted girl thing before, we just like to know why? Is it his personality? Cause that is kinda what makes him special)

GamerPhate

Aug 22, 2008
CaseySmith said:
MasochisticMuse said:
CaseySmith said:
MasochisticMuse said:
That made my day.

I used to think the "make me a sandwich" thing was funny, but now it's just getting tired. Can't you switch it up with other female stereotypes once in awhile...
No. :>
There is the new one thats similar to the get me a sammich, it's

"Hey can you get me a drink"

(See the video called cute asian girl breaks PS3) its all over youtube

Pro DELBOY

Jun 26, 2010
Khomatose said:
I freaking LOVE Branston Pickle!
You and me both! Its the only thing in my fridge right now lol

Not so sure about this song now. its starting to pickle my brain.

boradis

Nov 18, 2009
I think this song is totally about getting his attention. The criticism and implied threats are there to mimic his style and show how hot she is for him. If Yahtzee is single (not something I follow) they'd probably end up in the sack on the first date. He'd be a fool not to.