Rebecca Mayes Muses: Love Song for Yahtzee

Lovesfool

Jan 28, 2009
Did I miss something? Did Rebecca and Yahtzee have a fight about something?

That said, hoping that this is not part of a personal quarrel, I really liked it. I think it is one of the best ones Rebecca has done so far. I watch Zero Punctuation and like it a lot and she is right in most of her "accusations" about it.

It is about time that someone did a "trashing review" about the master trasher, Yahtzee.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Lovesfool said:
Did I miss something? Did Rebecca and Yahtzee have a fight about something?

That said, hoping that this is not part of a personal quarrel, I really liked it. I think it is one of the best ones Rebecca has done so far. I watch Zero Punctuation and like it a lot and she is right in most of her "accusations" about it.

It is about time that someone did a "trashing review" about the master trasher, Yahtzee.
No, you didn't miss anything. I doubt they have ever met either to be honest. Truthfully the only surprising bit about this for me was that it was supposed to be a "love song" and instead as it said we got a "hate filled love song".

As I've said before, the sentiments don't surprise me, from everything I've seen this is pretty much what I'd expect Rebecca to think of Yahtzee, but at the same time it seemed like she was comissioned to produce something specific, advertised it as such, and this was produced which I believe surprised the fan base.

Personally, it doesn't bother me, but I admit I did do a double take when I actually saw the results.

The biggest disappointment inherant in the entire thing to me was that I was kind of hoping Rebecca would actually produce a love song for Yahtzee, since to be honest I think it's a sign of talent when someone can actually produce something artistic like a song that is contrary to their actual feelings on the subject.

As far as the criticism goes, as I've also said before, Yahtzee is a big boy, he can take it.

Rebecca also makes a solid point that Yahtzee is becoming mainstream, and by "destroying" games he also props them up. But then again this whole take on things is nothing new. Some people might remember "Evil Scorpia" who was a (text based) slice and dice reviewer from long before gaming became this mainstream. Yahtzee has a differant format, and is a bit more crude at times, but is fundementally doing the same schtick.

It's ironic because while I don't do it non-stop, I have been known to criticize games and such in a similar fashion to Yahtzee, but with differant tastes (I'm an RPG fan). In my case though my inspiration has always come from Scorpia. Ironic because while not the most creative person in the world, once in a while (albiet not here) I've been accused of being a "Yahtzee Poseur", when while a fan, I'm actually a poseur of/inspired by what is most likely the source he also drew from.

Lovesfool

Jan 28, 2009
Even better then. I would love to see a follow up from Yahtzee, reviewing Rebecca's column (it's not like this period is filled with new AAA release titles)...

This could be the start of something trully funny and entertaining.

Luke Cartner

May 6, 2010
DarkPanda XIII said:
Huh, I actually don't know what to say, other than I'm curious to what Yahtzee's reaction was....which was a repost to the video...curious to see any other reaction >.>
The only other reaction seems to be a twitter where he says he finds it offensive to be called a misogynist, thats incorrect he is an misanthrope.
And when asked if he would write a reply song indicates that limericks are about his limit.
To be honest I think criticism like this is pretty easy for him to ignore.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
ColdStorage said:
What? your using a harsh word such as "bullshit" and using Cracked to back up your point?.

Just because that reporter came across 20 other girls and wrote about it doesn't mean its actually peer reviewed empirical data or evidence, its just a girl writing about the time she met other girls online. I could write an article about the girls I met in real life in one bar and how they acted, wouldn't mean thats a blanket statement to how all women act, its just one place.
Yeah, see had you actually read the link you'd have seen the article isn't just some girl stating that she's met women online. It actually links to this government study [http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d01345.pdf] which shows that there have been equal numbers of men and women online since 2001.

You'd also have seen that she doesn't make the point about girls sticking up for other girls just because they happen to be female too. I did. Sure, it's not empirical, it's based upon anecdotally sourced first hand accounts of human behaviour in which self-perceived minorities tend to stick together. If you'd like some actual science on this matter then I suggest you read the studies of Kelman or Moscovici. But please don't just say 'empirical' as if it means 'I win', because if we're really going to debate scientific methodology here then we'd have to accept that no matter how peer-reviewed any study on gender might be it can never be science because the independent variable cannot be randomized between conditions and sample bias cannot be eliminated as a confounding variable.

And please don't try and rag on my use of the word bullshit when you can't even tell the difference between 'you're' and 'your'. I swear, it doesn't invalidate my point; just as your tenuous grasp of grammar doesn't invalidate yours, it's illogicality does.

ColdStorage said:
I don't know how to reply to this comment, I'll be honest.

Are you saying its better to be a bastard to women?
No, and it's pretty obvious I neither said nor implied that. Reductio ad absurdum.

One should treat women as one treats men. To consistently (note consistently, because it's not sexist to court a given woman just as it's not sexist to befriend a given man) treat them any differently is to be a sexist. It's not relevant whether one treats women consistently worse than one treats men, or better, both are predicated on a difference in gender and can only be supported by the belief that there is either an inherent strength or weakness in a given gender which supports a difference in treatment.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
BGH122 said:
And please don't try and rag on my use of the word bullshit when you can't even tell the difference between 'you're' and 'your'. I swear, it doesn't invalidate my point; just as your tenuous grasp of grammar doesn't invalidate yours, it's illogicality does.
I find it funny that we need Cracked to tell us about goverment studies showing women using the internet.

As for my problems with grammar, yeah I have problems in the written language, but English isn't my first language, I could take a photo of my passport as empirical data to prove that fact, Haha, I totally win!.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
ColdStorage said:
BGH122 said:
I find it funny that we need Cracked to tell us about goverment studies showing women using the internet.

As for my problems with grammar, yeah I have problems in the written language, but English isn't my first language, I could take a photo of my passport as empirical data to prove that fact, Haha, I totally win!.
Why do you find it funny that I get info from cracked?

I also read the British Medical Journal, New Scientist, Scientific American, Medscape and the British Psychological Society Digest but it just so happens that I heard about this study from Cracked. Should I just ignore it and never mention it because it came from a less reputable and austere source than others that I read? Obviously not, because this would just be an application of the logical fallacy 'Appeal to authority'.

Were I to ignore everything from less publicly respected sources then that would say far more about a deficiency of character than any incorrect assessment others might make of my intelligence or standing should I stick only to respected sources.

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
BGH122 said:
ColdStorage said:
BGH122 said:

Why do you find it funny that I get info from cracked?

I also read the British Medical Journal, New Scientist, Scientific American, Medscape and the British Psychological Society Digest but it just so happens that I heard about this study from Cracked. Should I just ignore it and never mention it because it came from a less reputable and austere source than others that I read? Obviously not, because this would just be an application of the logical fallacy 'Appeal to authority'.

Were I to ignore everything from less publicly respected sources then that would say far more about a deficiency of character than any incorrect assessment others might make of my intelligence or standing should I stick only to respected sources.
Its the combination that its from Cracked and we are technically arguing about whether women use the internet or not.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
ColdStorage said:
Its the combination that its from Cracked and we are technically arguing about whether women use the internet or not.
Which the Cracked article solved. It quite clearly linked to the study I linked to directly above which shows that equal numbers of men and women have been using the internet for the past 9 years.

The original link to Cracked was valid.

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
BGH122 said:
ColdStorage said:
Which the Cracked article solved. It quite clearly linked to the study I linked to directly above which shows that equal numbers of men and women have been using the internet for the past 9 years.

Its still funny that we are arguing about women using the internet, validity or not, its still funny we are arguing that point.

Its like arguing why chocolate is nice and then linking to a goverment funded taste test.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
ColdStorage said:
BGH122 said:
ColdStorage said:

Its still funny that we are arguing about women using the internet, validity or not, its still funny we are arguing that point.

Its like arguing why chocolate is nice and then linking to a goverment funded taste test.
Well not really, we're not arguing why women use the net, we're arguing if women use the net. The first would be invalid because no single reason can account for all women's browsing uses so it'd necessarily be a supposition, the second can be shown to be true with reference to facts.

But I actually can link you to articles explaining why chocolate tastes good, the Mayo Clinic has a whole load of articles on food and why various things taste nice (I've always found that humorous, given their name). I do kind of see what you're saying, "Why would anyone, let alone the government (whom we fund), even bother to commission such a study?" but finding out if women use the internet is worthwhile since internet fluency is fairly necessary for work and communication.

Chronologist

Feb 28, 2010
Personally, I didn't really like the song. Generally "Yahtzee" is constructively critical, he never just bashes games for no reason. His personal tastes in gaming and flavor of humor are his own, and if you dislike his opinion, you don't have to watch his videos. For this reason, the line "when you desecrate every game" feels very offensive.

I also find the audio balance of voice and music to be off, and generally very fuzzy. The very beginning and the chorus are also very bland, and could have been significantly improved.

I guess, overall I really don't like it because it's hurtful without explaining how his behavior/personality could be improved, besides "don't do thins anymore".

Febronia

Jul 7, 2010
Zzzzzz <--- about all I have to say on the topic.

So what if someone hates games more than they like them? Generally, if I hate a certain aspects of a game but like other aspects, I continue to play it. If I really wanted to, I'm sure I could voice my opinions and get a couple thousand fans simply because I have a vagina and claim to play the games that I'm reviewing.

To be completely honest, I have no idea (and really could care less) what this whole flame war between Rebecca and Yahtzee is, or how it started. I just feel really bad for Rebecca because...well, there are lots of reasons. Let's start, shall we?

You chose to fuck with someone who has a larger fan base then probably the amount of views you'll ever get on your pathetic little channel. Now that you've drawn so much attention to yourself, you're going to get a lot of people like me asking you, "And you are....?" Granted, most of the people asking you this probably aren't hostile, and those who are unfortunately have to type callow threats and continuing dreaming that they could punch you in the face, but maybe one day it will happen. Like the cure for cancer or something. At any rate, I feel bad for the people like me who treat Yahtzee like a biblical prophet and listen to all of his lectures and actually took the time to google "who is Rebecca Mayes". I feel even more sorry for the people who actually like this garbage that she calls "music" or those who can count these as "reviews" of the game. Please stop. You're making we rare female gamers look even more incompetent and trophy girl-esqe. It's great if you want to write a review in the form of a song and post it on the internet. You might even find people who actually like you for your "music" rather than just watching that shit you call a review to start at your tits and below average facial features. But for the love of God, do you have to insult the big shots JUST to collect more views and suck we unsuspecting people who didn't ever want to discover you into it? That just isn't fair.

Supposedly you're a saint compared to Yahtzee, or a martyr, or whatever the claim was in that symphony of dying cats in a trash compactor that you call a song is. If you are as you make yourself out to be (which is possible, as you seem like the stereotypical "LOL I AM FEMALE GAMER HAVE TITS PLZ TEACH HOW TO PLAY GAME--OWAIT I'LL REVIEW IT EVEN THOUGH I DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT THE MECHANICS") then please, do me a favor, apologize to yahtzee, and stop being a gossipy little 12 year old girl on your twitter. I can't tell how old you are given your face looks like a squished troll, but I would expect you would have a little more maturity given you look older than I do. It's really pathetic. This was like an elementary school girl throwing a love note at the boy she likes and she keeps following him around, saying aloud as loudly as fucking possible with her ANNOYINGLY GIRLISH VOICE, "Ohh, I wonder when he'll read it, I wonder what he'll say, will he respond, will he love me? WILL I GET THE REACTION THAT I WANT?"

Much lover and prayers to Yahtzee, to make it through this difficult time of tossers and women setting feminism and humor back a good six decades.

Estelindis

Jan 25, 2008
Mostly good - sharp and quite funny - but the chorus was one of the dullest I've heard in any song.

Regarding the general message of the song... Personally, I take everything Yahtzee says with a grain of salt. Even his most misogynistic remarks don't offend me. Either he is serious when he makes them, in which case believing such ridiculous things is its own punishment, or he's not, in which case... well... the problem disappears. But to feel angry or offended at them just doesn't make sense to me. As modern women, aren't we secure enough in our femininity to simply dismiss misogynistic comments if we cannot laugh at them?

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
I think Rebecca's right on about that whole misogynist crack: it's very misogynist of Yahtzee to point out sexism on the part of game developers and their audience, as well as to discuss sexual exploitation of men and women portrayed in video games. Clearly her feminism is much more advanced because she either mentions briefly how it sucks that ladies get exploited in games or simply does not deal with particular games because they are too sexual.

Sarcasm aside, yes, Yahtzee is a straight white man. That does not prevent him from being a feminist unless you define feminist as 'person with boobs and a vagina'. And seriously here Rebecca, are you about to tell us that you are not getting exploited with every video you make as a pretty blond video game playing girl? If anything, Yahtzee would be quite justified to criticize your whole project as misogynist, as opposed to his dick jokes.

Erkiengillinn

Jun 10, 2009
"because you put 'her' down"

"her" who???

somebody needs to fill me in on this "joke" and seriously, a screwdriver at the end?
really? what are we, nine? eleven and a half?

its fine to express yourself lady, Yahtzee does it every week
(with rude vulgar gestures to be sure)

TheSorrow1145

Jun 27, 2010
daltonlaffs said:
Ohhhhh, that was so close to being great...

Rebecca, I'm going to be honest: I've never been a fan of your songs. They're too repetitive, mainly, repeating the same chorus line about thirty times in a row at least three times on most occasions. They're not usually clever, either.

This one *almost* made me change my mind... it started out so damn strong, and it was hilarious, clever words and rhyming on par with Yahtzee himself. BUT THEN, you started into the chorus. "Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?..." (repeat)

Please, please, stop doing that to your songs. You would be a pleasure to listen to if it weren't for the repetition.
Concur. Absolute nadir of the song.