Rebecca Mayes Muses: The Sims 3

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Rebecca Mayes, where have you been all my life? I thought this was a great idea and I'm definitely looking forward to future videos, whether it be every two weeks as Virgil said, or weekly, or whatever. As a fan of the older and more established videos on the Escapist (mainly Doomsday Arcade, Unskippable and Zero Punctuation) I was a bit wary about the newer ones, i.e. Apocalypse Lane and Rebecca Mayes Muses, but they've both gained instant happy points with me. Keep it up, well done :)

EDIT: Captain, I thought we got rid of that body ages ago?

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
Baby Tea said:
I don't get it.
Was it meant to be funny?
Meaningful?
Silly?
Stupid?

I'll confess that I stopped about halfway through, and started skipping ahead in intervals.
I still didn't get it. And the vocals bugged the crap out of me.

But maybe that's just me.
It's not just you... Believe me.

I just found it to be very weird... What was that!? It wasn't exactly my kind of music either.

--Xvito, keeping it excellent.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
A folk singer with a love for computer games and nerdy culture? Now who does that remind me of???

However, that's a GOOD thing.

I would love to see more videos like that on The Escapist. My only criticism: get a real drummer, those beats got annoying really quickly, and didn't really give the song the beautiful appeal it was meant to have. Give those strings more room to shine :)

Sir-Tdb

Jul 14, 2009
Always good to see someone try something new and it was hypnotisingly beautiful.
A Excellent way of showing the fact of playing god over the sims.

Hope to see more of these :)

Bigdom

Sep 9, 2008
Definitely one of the strangest things i've seen this week.

Have to be honest though crude as it may sound......

was thinking of a different kind of muffin while watching.

sorry.

Just read some of the previous posts. I doubt there would be so much praise if no one knew what she looked like in a bed sheet. C'mon people this is the fucking tinterweb. Let's see some bile!!!!

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Virgil said:
Doug said:
Maybe - maybe not - it might be possible to make a song for a game each week. We shall see. Personally, I enjoyed both the music, the video, and the godess costume (insert prevy comment here).
I'm pretty sure it's every two weeks, but don't quote me on that. Maybe one of the video peeps will jump in and correct me :p
Yes, for now Rebbecca will have a new video every other week.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Must say I liked the song, not least for the frequent muffin references! I'm sittinG eating some cookies right now, not quite the same but close enough.

I liked the tubby Sim in the video too. He seems like an amiable sort of fellow...:)

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
Hm, definitely different. Don't know if you're looking for criticism, but here goes. Very unpolished. I had nothing against the sound of your voice, but there were passages where I couldn't even hear what you were singing, let alone enjoy the singing.
The music is terrible, to be frank. It even loses rhythm at times, and is more annoying on my ear drums than enjoyable due to the loud, repetitive and high pitch of the beat.
This is more or less something I would expect to find on Youtube, where one would look for feedback.

I'm sorry if I come off as harsh, but this did not sound good to me.
That being said, I'll be rooting for you to improve. Like I said, I like the sound of your voice, and the outfit looked nice. It has passages where it's kinda catchy. Maybe I will enjoy the next video more, if the melody suits me better.

Again, sorry if I seem harsh. Just my feedback.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
I quite enjoyed that.

Although I am now sitting here trying to remember where I know the name rebecca Mayes from.

Airthey

Jul 14, 2009
I rather enjoyed that. good music, good vid, and so on. looking forward to many more of these!

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Outstanding.
It portrayed the life and thoughts (what I imagine they think) of every sim we set up.
I got a good chuckle out of this one.

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
Hank's house is so similar to Eileen and Trent's (my Sims), heh.

I loved this song. I was expecting one of those songs you see on youtube where it's just one girl singing along to simple guitar chords; instead, I got somethign very well produced, not only aurally but also visually.

Welcome to The Escapist. I'm sure you'll be one of the most popular features on this site. Keep up the good work and the lovely singing!

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Baby Tea said:
I don't get it.
Was it meant to be funny?
Meaningful?
Silly?
Stupid?

I'll confess that I stopped about halfway through, and started skipping ahead in intervals.
I still didn't get it. And the vocals bugged the crap out of me.

But maybe that's just me.
No, I'm with you on this one. I really don't see it's purpose at all, is it just for fun or is it offering us insight into the game via melody?
I watched it all just out of courtesy because it's the first video but I was sorely tempted to just skip it altogether.

Hopefully the style of song will be different with every game that gets its own tune, otherwise it's a limited audience.
That aside, Welcome to the Escapist, Rebecca.

ManiacRaccoon

Aug 20, 2008
This was great. I can't wait to see the next one. It'd be nice to have an Mp3 download for the song somewhere. I want muffins now too...

MattKirby

Aug 6, 2008
I agree that it was interesting to make video game based songs, the music is kind of hypnotizing in a way and very pleasant.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
Don't take this in any way horrible, but brilliant idea, terrible execution. It sounded like a typical informative yet dull review, just adapted to song.

triprotic

Jul 17, 2009
I'm a big fan of Rebecca Mayes.

If you've not heard of her before, she is from "Game People" http://www.gamepeople.co.uk/rebeccamayes.htm and has done several songs relating to games in a similar style to this Sims 3 one here.

If you like this one, definitely check out her other stuff, the Hotel Dusk 215 is probably my favourite :)

Can't wait for more!