Reccomend a PC game for my girlfriend

Zarmi

Jul 16, 2010
reckoner09 said:
Zarmi said:
There's no need to have your girlfriend play a game that requires she got the brain the size of an inbred bird, because you know... She can think and all, I assume.
An unfortunately innacurate assumption :p

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Think we're going to try torchlight and Bastion for some RPG & questing elements. We'll try Cargo too because it looks... Interesting!
So.. It's an innacurate assumption that she can think.. Huh, okay.

kradx

Jul 23, 2008
She might like Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale.
Other recomendations are: NyxQuest, Blade Kitten, Beyond Good and Evil and Trine.

kradx

Jul 23, 2008
She might like Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
Other recomendations are: NyxQuest, Blade Kitten, Beyond Good and Evil and Trine.

edit: double post

Dragunai

Feb 5, 2007
Any of the Sims games and anything that started life as Bullfrog LTD game, such as theme park etc.
Roller Coaster tycoon is a fun one.

If she has a more sinister side and a good aptitude for learning game mechanics give her Dungeon Keeper 2.

If I could remake 1 game into the holy grail of gaming using modern technology it would be Dungeon keeper 2... Or just kick Bullfrog in the nuts and demand DK3 to be revived... or given to Lionhead to finish.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
If she's interested in more management-style stuff, I would give Civ 5 a go. Its very nicely presented and very accessible, and can be as deep as you want it to be.

If she'd rather try more RPG-ish stuff (you mentioned Rift) then I'd actually say go for something like KotOR. Excellent game, and it can prepare you for that sort of overall combat style without punishing you for not being great at it.

Portal 1 and 2 are general recommendations too (for anyone, really).

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
Minecraft: the game has a ton of depth, but you're very free to discover it at your own pace (especially if you start with it set to peaceful). On top of that, it's something you can play together. Note that I'd highly recommend letting her play it herself for a while before playing together so you can avoid the temptation to be a backseat driver for her (lose-lose: if you do it, you'll be annoying and put her off of the whole thing and if you don't, seeing her do newby things and saying nothing will eat away at your soul).

I'd recommend rather strongly against Dwarf Fortress. The graphics alone are a harder sell for someone not already into gaming. On top of that, the game tends to be rather brutal whereas Minecraft is pretty tranquil even with monsters on. And it goes on perpetually, whereas DF is the sort of game where you keep playing until you lose and have to start over, which frustrates a lot of people.

Edit: Someone brought up TF2 and that's also a really nice idea. It's cartoony, there are a few classes that are easy enough to learn quickly, and the game's basic mechanics are relatively east to learn. It's a good way to get used to the WASD+mouse controls found in a lot of PC games.

I was also going to say Grim Fandango, but thought better of it because a lot of those old adventure games can be maddening if you don't have experience with adventure game logic ("why on earth would I pick that up let alone combine it with this"). Great games, but not great first games. And Grim Fandango's movement controls alone are a nightmare.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
Umm .. Artificial Girl 3 ?

No .. on second, third, and fourth thought, just no.

Try Oregon Trail. It's edu-ma-cational!

Evidencebased

Feb 28, 2011
Balder's Gate I/II?

I don't know if it's a little too old, but it (and Starcraft) were pretty much the gateway drugs into gaming for me and my two younger sisters. It's got the whole RPG thing without demanding honed reflexes or a ton of skill, and it's also pretty classic so when she talks about it she can pretend she's been into PC gaming forever. ;p

Evidencebased

Feb 28, 2011
Maybe also Warcraft III (or one of those) because they have a bit of that RPG element (and sparkly elves!) while also introducing her to simple RTS type games. And if the two of you play together against the computer it is very cooperative and low-pressure for her... unlike trying to play online for the first time and getting horribly mangled before she knows how resource-management even works.

I would suggest World of Warcraft, but I assume you want to ever see your girlfriend again? ;D