Mar 26, 2008
Misfits. british show, shown on E4.

So you may have to d/l it.

Juvenile delinquents with superpowers = Lollercaust

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
dj Facchiano said:
I just finished watching season 5 of Dexter and now have nothing to watch :( sooooooooo I was hoping you fine gentlemen from the lands of escapistmagazine.com would be able to share your T.V wisdom with me. My favorite series have been prison break, dexter, and battle star galatica. I'm not a big fan of anime. THANK YOU GENTLEMEN.
My favs are: scrubs, big bang theory, house, (you already said) prison break, NCIS, CSI (there all the same), smallville, sons of anarchy, coming of age, blackadder, red dwarf, misfits and probably more I can't think at the moment.

I will explain misfits cos I don't many people have heard of it. A group of teens get put on community service when a lightening storm strikes and gives them super powers, it sounds pretty god damn cheesy but it's so fucking funny! It's kind of like smallville but rougher.

In one episode a guy has the super power to control dairy products, so of course everybody laughs at him. Which obviously turns him into a serial killer (clogging there heart with cheese for example) and one of the main kids is immortal so instead of killing him, he turns him into a veggie.

One of the crew we follow has the super power to make anybody who touches her instantly mega horny and wants to shag her.

Coming of age is another one I will explain, as it doesn't seem very popular. A bunch of teenagers are in high school and it is VERY over sexualized and very immature. I swear to god one of the actresses real name is Hannah Job.

I will post an episode in a spoiler tag.

Wieke

Quite Dutch.
Mar 30, 2009
Sherlock [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_(TV_series)] is an excellent modern remake of Sherlock Holmes, written (in part) by Stefen Moffat. Granted there's only one season and it consists of three 90-minute episodes.

Eadd

Apr 28, 2010
Accidentally on Purpose
American Dad!
An Idiot Abroad
Being Human-UK Version
Buffy
Californiacation
Chuck
Community
Cougar Town
Deadliest Warrior
Dexter
Dirty Sexy Money
Doctor Who
Family Guy
Free Agents
Futurama
Glee
Greys Annatomy
Heroes
House
How I Met Your Mother
Misfits
Modern Family
My Name Is Earl
Outnumbered-UK Version
PhoneShop
Prison Break
Raising Hope
Scrubs
Simpsons
Skins-UK Version
Smallville
South Park
Spartacus
Stargate Atlantis
Stargate SG1
Stargate Universe
Startrek Voyager
The Big Bang Theory
The Cleveland Show
The I.T. Crowd
The Inbetweeners
Top Gear-UK Version
V

...I think I might watch too much Television :/

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I don't know if you'll be able to get it where you live (assuming you live in America, I'm too lazy to click the profile :p) but the IT crowd is really geeky humour, if you're after a comedy.
If not, maybe Heroes? I really enjoyed that show and the demographic audience of Heroes and the shows you seem to like are pretty similar.

[.redacted]

Jan 24, 2010
Well, for my suggestions I would say:

House
Heroes

But, I don't think you can dismiss anime right off the bat, it is very diverse, most people tend to classify it as shiny-eyed light hearted children's comedy (albeit with far too large breasts), but if you look hard enough you can find some genuine gems.

You probably won't read this post, if you do you won't read the part about anime - and even if you read the part on anime, you almost certainly won't watch my suggestion.

...But on the off chance you do.

mrF00bar

Mar 17, 2009
I've just started to watch Battlestar Galactica. :p

OT:
Farscape - Earth dude gets shot in a wormhole and gets sent a distant part of the galaxy.
Castle - About and author shadowing a homicide detective for book inspiration. Castle is played by Nathan Fillion.
Sanctuary - Has mutants ect in it. Amanda Tapping is the main character *nose bleed*

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
dj Facchiano said:
I just finished watching season 5 of Dexter and now have nothing to watch :( sooooooooo I was hoping you fine gentlemen from the lands of escapistmagazine.com would be able to share your T.V wisdom with me. My favorite series have been prison break, dexter, and battle star galatica. I'm not a big fan of anime. THANK YOU GENTLEMEN.
Downton Abbey - as someone who loves Battlestar Galatica I loved this British drama set in the manor house in the 1920s. It's well written, well acted and an all round good egg. Sure, it's not what you're used to but take a look at it.

If not that than the new BBC version of Sherlock. It's only three episodes long but very, very good.

Drakesfan

Nov 29, 2010
Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, True Blood, The Big bang Theory, 30 Rock, Arrested Development, Heroes and The I.T. Crowd...Awesoriffic in everyway.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
dj Facchiano said:

"NO Ordinary Family"

Its like Heroes meets the Fantanstic Four, and people actually use their powers for heroing, and not jsut running around being emo about having them.

warprincenataku

Jan 28, 2010
Sonic Doctor said:
warprincenataku said:
Doctor Who

Walking Dead

Stargate Universe

These are the only shows I watch.
Sorry, I'm going to sound harsh here, because television and recommending shows is serious business for me.

You have an interesting list

Doctor Who: Made of diamonds and golden awesome.

Walking Dead: Golden.

Stargate Universe: Ring made out of plastic found in a dirty gutter.

I'm curious, have you watched Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis?
And, why do you like Stargate Universe?

The reason I ask is if you had watched Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis, you would have recommended Stargate SG-1, then Atlantis.
Also, all the Stargate fans I know and have talked to, despise Stargate Universe.

The only reason I continued watching it is because I wanted to see how long it took for the show to actually get to something remotely interesting or relatively related to anything Stargate.

Answer: It has taken one and a half season, and the related bit is only a half-hearted attempt.

It shouldn't be called Stargate Universe, it should be called Stargate Galactica: The Soap Opera. Because the horrible filming style from Battlestar is being used. On top of that are so many romantic relationships that are crisscrossed and messed up, it is as bad as a soap opera.

It is so bad that the things that the show is actually about, the stargate, the ship, and who created the universe, are delegated to an after thought or a less focused side story.

If they don't get their act together with this last half of season two, I will be hoping and praying that the show gets canceled. Because if they can't properly make a third show that holds the awesome title of Stargate, then it deserves to be canceled, and let Stargate live on with the epicness that came before this crap.

Rant over. I need to make a review thread for Stargate Universe, so I can go more into depth about how bad it is.
Yes, you are correct sir in assuming SGU was indeed my first venture into the Stargate Universe. Well... that's not entirely true. I did see the movie some umpteen years ago, but never watched a single episode of the television series. By the time I got around to wanting to watch it, it was so already established that I thought it may be hard to jump in midway through. So when I saw a brand new Stargate series being created I jumped at the chance to start from the beginning. I was hooked, although as my friends who liked the original would say it was terrible, I having no prior knowledge of the show found it quite enjoyable.

Long time ago I used to watch Torchwood, season 1 and 2, but I haven't kept up with that one much after season 2. These are pretty much the only shows I've seen in the past few years, I'm quite happy with them. I just got into Walking Dead when it came out because everyone was talking about it and was presently surprised how quickly it sucked me in. Also, there's a very funny/not so funny story involving me, my wife, sleeping, rolling over, moaning and me waking up half dazed thinking I was being attacked by a zombie, fill in the blanks from there.

darkstarangel

Jun 27, 2008
Iv learned that its futile getting hooked on TV shows now. Because studios are trying to cater to this sugar induced ADD generation TV shows that show alot of promise dont go far by way of seasons & the plots either go downhill & get canned like heroes or they lose ratings because the hype that began has worn off & viewers look elsewhere & so they give it one last season to wrap up several seasons worth of plot points & cram it all in a rush job ending.

The shows im specifically referring to are Lost & Battlestar Galactica, although lost did the smart thing by not ruining the lose ends with with crappy explanations that would compromise the feel of the show like BSG did.
And then theres shows that just get cut off completely like Twin Peaks leaving open a masive cliff hanger that would have made the next season awesome. Perhaps studios should just focus on mini series from now on.

And I just realised none of this really answered your question so I would recomend Lost, its still my favourite show.

JMPease21

Jun 11, 2010
Dead Like Me or Firefly.
One is dark humor and the other is a pretty badass sci-fi, but both were canceled after a season or two (I assume for being too good for people to handle).
Also they're both on netflix streaming so you can watch all episodes easy.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Give Dollhouse a try. Season 1 is entertaining and worth a look but it really picks up in season 2. Shame that it was made by Joss Whedon and so automatically qualifies for early cancellation but it was good while it lasted.

(Yeah, everyone already mentioned his other shows enough times)

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
Boardwalk Empire
THE WIRE (best thing ever on American Television; buy the whole series)
Treme
Walking Dead iiiiiiiiissssssssss.....so-so, so far. Though obviously the comic series is better.