Reclaiming SJW

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
Azure23 said:
And you know what? Take a fucking freshman sociology class, any dumbass college kid will tell you that gender is socially constructed and it doesn't have anything to do with biological sex. So don't give me any more of that "gender that matches their sex" idiocy. Clearly you were never a feminist of any description, I don't know any who would put up with that bullshit.
How about you not talk down to me when I understand completely what it means and what I said, and there's nothing offensive about the statement either, at least not to anyone sane. I basically said CIS without using the abbreviation.

To quote wikipedia "Cisgender and cissexual (often abbreviated to simply cis) describe related types of gender identity where individuals' experiences of their own gender match the sex they were assigned at birth."

So basically you insulted me over a textbook definition, way to go, way to look mature.

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
Cerebrawl said:
Azure23 said:
And you know what? Take a fucking freshman sociology class, any dumbass college kid will tell you that gender is socially constructed and it doesn't have anything to do with biological sex. So don't give me any more of that "gender that matches their sex" idiocy. Clearly you were never a feminist of any description, I don't know any who would put up with that bullshit.
How about you not talk down to me when I understand completely what it means and what I said, and there's nothing offensive about the statement either, at least not to anyone sane. I basically said CIS without using the abbreviation.

To quote wikipedia "Cisgender and cissexual (often abbreviated to simply cis) describe related types of gender identity where individuals' experiences of their own gender match the sex they were assigned at birth."

So basically you insulted me over a textbook definition, way to go, way to look mature.
Very true, sorry for insulting you over that. My fiancé was actually looking your post over and pointed that out to me not ten minutes after I posted that response. So for that, I apologize, I was in a rather bad mood and took the word "matches" in the larger context of your post to imply that there was a "correct" gender identity. Hopefully that clears up my vitriol.

As for everyone quoting that horrible study; it was a very tragic end to a disgustingly unprofessional study perpetrated by an asshole who hoped to make himself famous, he was accused of malpractice and his study remains very controversial with no sound conclusions drawn from it. This stuff is so easy to find, please do some research before you quote studies, because this one definitely doesn't support your case once you learn the details.

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
bobleponge said:
Sansha said:
thaluikhain said:
Sansha said:
Wow, that's fucking stupid. Of course it's unfair. LIFE is fucking unfair. How is it my fault that the way my life began and turned out has given me certain advantages? I'll take the hand I've been dealt and play it as I please; I shouldn't have to give my cards to someone else who's been dealt shit to give them a chance.

I know it sounds utterly objectivist, but I'll not feel guilty about my position.
Of course it's not your fault. There is nothing much people can do about their privilege, and feeling guilty about it is pointless at best.

What they can do is be aware of it, and how it affects them and others in their society.

Sansha said:
SJW's need to look at kids in Africa who'll die before puberty, or devadasi prostitute girls in India, people in Palestine - there's your fucking underprivilege.
That argument again.

Firstly, there is no reason why people can't care about more than one thing at a time.

Secondly, someone in the West can't really do anything about that. What they can do is pay attention to how their own society works and their part in it.

Third, a greater problem doesn't mean that lesser problems don't exist.
I agree with you on all fronts there. My point is that so very much of 'check yo priv' is just flat-out whining that life is hard. Harder for some than others, sure, but what's whining about how much better some people have it going to accomplish? I believe that almost everyone in the West has opportunity to succeed and find happiness.

Sociological problems like how there are people marginalized by factors outside of their control should be brought attention to, as that's clearly a problem, but it's like Bill Cosby said - a lot of people are making no effort, and just blaming others for their disadvantages.
"I believe that almost everyone in the West has opportunity to succeed and find happiness."

Ok, teachable moment here. Because that statement is demonstrably untrue. There are huge segments of the population who do not have that opportunity. The fact that you think that's true tells me that you have privilege that you aren't aware of, and that you are dismissing the experiences of people who don't share your privilege.

The thing is, being aware of your privilege does take a little bit of work. You can't just say "Well I only treat people by the content of their character 100% of the time*" and be done with it. You have to always be listening to other people's experiences, and accept those experiences as valid, because so much of the inequality in the world is invisible to people who don't experience it.

*Also, c'mon, of course this isn't true. Nobody in the world does that, aside from maybe the Dali Lama. Human beings are naturally prejudiced against each other. That's why you have to be willing to question yourself.
No. I really don't. If you are unwilling to put in the effort, to put in the work, to give it a 110%, then I have no sympathy for you, if you are going to fail once, and then give up, I have no sympathy for you, if you are going to lie there and cry until you get your way, I have no sympathy for you.

In America, you have the opportunity, there are laws to prevent racism and sexism from preventing you from getting a job, from going to school, from getting higher education, there are scholarships to give minorities and women a higher education, making sure YOU succeed, and get to the level where you may go to higher education. IS. UP. TO. YOU. NO. ONE. ELSE. You put in the effort, you stay up all night studying. You put 200% into projects. If you do not, then your failure is your own problem, not mine, and certainly not societies.

Edit - If I, were to just lay about and do nothing. If I were to just sit around and expect things to be handed to me, guess what would happen. I get nothing. If I fail to give it my all, I get nothing. That is the way it should be, and the way it is, for everyone, and it should stay that way.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
bobleponge said:
Sansha said:
thaluikhain said:
Sansha said:
Wow, that's fucking stupid. Of course it's unfair. LIFE is fucking unfair. How is it my fault that the way my life began and turned out has given me certain advantages? I'll take the hand I've been dealt and play it as I please; I shouldn't have to give my cards to someone else who's been dealt shit to give them a chance.

I know it sounds utterly objectivist, but I'll not feel guilty about my position.
Of course it's not your fault. There is nothing much people can do about their privilege, and feeling guilty about it is pointless at best.

What they can do is be aware of it, and how it affects them and others in their society.

Sansha said:
SJW's need to look at kids in Africa who'll die before puberty, or devadasi prostitute girls in India, people in Palestine - there's your fucking underprivilege.
That argument again.

Firstly, there is no reason why people can't care about more than one thing at a time.

Secondly, someone in the West can't really do anything about that. What they can do is pay attention to how their own society works and their part in it.

I agree with you on all fronts there. My point is that so very much of 'check yo priv' is just flat-out whining that life is hard. Harder for some than others, sure, but what's whining about how much better some people have it going to accomplish? I believe that almost everyone in the West has opportunity to succeed and find happiness.

Sociological problems like how there are people marginalized by factors outside of their control should be brought attention to, as that's clearly a problem, but it's like Bill Cosby said - a lot of people are making no effort, and just blaming others for their disadvantages.
"I believe that almost everyone in the West has opportunity to succeed and find happiness."

Ok, teachable moment here. Because that statement is demonstrably untrue. There are huge segments of the population who do not have that opportunity. The fact that you think that's true tells me that you have privilege that you aren't aware of, and that you are dismissing the experiences of people who don't share your privilege.
I said 'almost' everyone. And what segments are these? What demographic of person living in the Western World has 0% chance to control their own lives? I've seen people go from the bottom and on their way to the top.

The thing is, being aware of your privilege does take a little bit of work. You can't just say "Well I only treat people by the content of their character 100% of the time*" and be done with it. You have to always be listening to other people's experiences, and accept those experiences as valid, because so much of the inequality in the world is invisible to people who don't experience it.
Nope. I don't give special treatment to anyone in regards to meeting and getting/making an impression, and from there build or lose respect for them based on whether they're lovely or assholes. Background, race, gender etc - not relevant. Of course experiences are valid. Why wouldn't they be? I hate people who disparage or dismiss experiences because they don't relate to it being an issue. Shit happens and affects us all differently.

Sansha

Nov 16, 2008
Cecilo said:
bobleponge said:
Sansha said:
thaluikhain said:
Sansha said:

Sansha said:
That argument again.

*Also, c'mon, of course this isn't true. Nobody in the world does that, aside from maybe the Dali Lama. Human beings are naturally prejudiced against each other. That's why you have to be willing to question yourself.
No. I really don't. If you are unwilling to put in the effort, to put in the work, to give it a 110%, then I have no sympathy for you, if you are going to fail once, and then give up, I have no sympathy for you, if you are going to lie there and cry until you get your way, I have no sympathy for you.

In America, you have the opportunity, there are laws to prevent racism and sexism from preventing you from getting a job, from going to school, from getting higher education, there are scholarships to give minorities and women a higher education, making sure YOU succeed, and get to the level where you may go to higher education. IS. UP. TO. YOU. NO. ONE. ELSE. You put in the effort, you stay up all night studying. You put 200% into projects. If you do not, then your failure is your own problem, not mine, and certainly not societies.

Edit - If I, were to just lay about and do nothing. If I were to just sit around and expect things to be handed to me, guess what would happen. I get nothing. If I fail to give it my all, I get nothing. That is the way it should be, and the way it is, for everyone, and it should stay that way.
Very Ryanist of you, and I agree completely. There's even welfare and social support - systems I do believe are beneficial and even necessary - to catch you when you fall. So I sincerely don't know of any demographic that is completely unable to control their lives.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
I'm afraid there's no way you're going to reclaim the title SJW after the wackos at tubmlr defecating upon it,

Here's a few examples at the looniest bits from tumblr

http://www.reddit.com/r/TumblrInAction

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
ultreos2 said:
So when do we discuss racism, sexualality, people who are gay, and drugs?
That's a difficult question to answer. Before they need to know would be the answer, but when that is, I can't say.

ultreos2 said:
People are in fact different from what you find normal, making them abnormal, the important thing to teach is not what is, or is not normal to us, but accepting that others, despite what we consider to be not normal to us, as people we should accept.
There's a problem with that, though, it's assuming the kid is what is called normal.

A kid should know about gay people before they discover that they happen to be gay, for example. That's going to happen to, what, 1 in 10 people?

Otherwise they are going to find out about gay people the hard way.

Cecilo said:
Assuming that everyone can do that, there's still no reason why that'll guarantee success.

A lot of people in the US with large college debts are unemployed because the economy took a kicking. There just aren't enough jobs to go around.

Sansha

Nov 16, 2008
bobleponge said:
You literally just dismissed people's experiences because you don't relate to them. I'm sure you have seen people go from the bottom to the top. There's a good chance you've never talked to the people who can't make it anywhere near the top, and because of that you are denying their existence.
What I mean by how I treat people is when making an impression - IE, when meeting them for the first time, I don't care where they're from or their circumstance, I want to treat them with respect and dignity. Rich, poor, minority, grey-area sexual orientation, I want to earn their friendship and respect.

What demographic of person living in the Western World has 0% chance to control their own lives? Obviously no one has 0% control over their lives. A man in prison can still decide to do push-ups every day instead of just lying in bed. We're talking about people who have negligible opportunity to find success and happiness. I'm referring to the mentally ill, the homeless, and really anybody who lives under the poverty line. I'm talking about the woman working two jobs, getting up at 4 in the morning and getting home at midnight, just so she can pay rent and feed her kid. I'm talking about the man who has to sacrifice food for a week so he can afford to fix his car, because if he can't get to work he'll be fired, he won't be able to pay rent, and he'll quickly become homeless. Do you really think these kinds of people can move out of their situation just by "working harder?"
I'm a firm believer in 'don't have children if you're not in a position to support them'. Accidents happen, but reproducing is so easily avoidable that I find it hard to sympathize with people who beat their lives into poverty by inflicting dependants upon themselves. Adoption systems exist, and in the US, a person can hand an infant over to a fire station with no questions asked. Not much else I can say on that topic.

As for your second example, the answer is "Yes, but that's half the equation."
'pay rent' is the problem I'm seeing here. I know people who've lived in their cars, slept under their desks or otherwise chosen to be homeless in order to save money, build capital and embark on investment or educating themselves.

I know a man who earned his carpentry apprenticeship building worker housing on railways, and chose to sleep at the railhouse rather than rent a place. After four years, around the same time he finished his education and started working for himself, he'd gathered enough money to put a deposit on a run-down house, which he then used his own skills to rebuild, then rented it out to someone else instead of living in. Two years later, another. One year later, another. The next house he bought, he actually moved into. Repeat ad infinitum.

Seven years of choosing to live without a home to work toward a plan for the future. Extremist sacrifice and skin-off-your-hands hard work. It's possible, it's doable, but for some reason people are so disillusioned that they don't see the opportunities and possibilities in front of them.

The manufacturing and construction sectors around the world are in desperate need of workers. The positions pay well, require basic training and have sprawling opportunity for advancement. Trades will *always* be in demand, and offer on-the-job training. No student debts, and an income while you learn.

So don't tell me it's impossible when there is so fucking much opportunity for the intelligent, hard-working citizen. Sacrifice, relocation, reconsidering your options, realigning your goals...

I wanted to be a pilot. For reasons, that became impossible for me, so instead of slamming my head against the brick wall of the Everyone Else's Fault building on the corner of It's Too Hard street and But boulevard, I came up with a different plan. That also failed, so I came up with a third. Those 99% riots - stupid kids bitching about a lack of jobs in their 'chosen field'. Yeah, well, life doesn't work that way. Things don't go the way you've always dreamed, so you pull up your big-kid panties and go to plan B. (they... had a backup plan, right?)

I don't care if I sound privileged or objectivist. My mother, sister and I came from nothing after leaving my cheating dictator of a father, and ten years later I'm enjoying my own home with my fiancé.

And, a final note, your two examples don't exist here - New Zealand - because we have a stable welfare system in place to ensure people who need help can get it. The welfare office will even give that guy an interest-free loan to get his car unfucked so he can work. Our homeless rate is less than 1%. So you can check my entire country's privilege.

Benny Blanco

Jan 23, 2008
Social Justice Warriors, eh? Check Your Privilege?

Both nice in theory, but so was Communism.

Like Communism, some basically decent principles have been subverted for the ends and empowerment of asshats.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a PC Liberal and proud of it- my friends reflect a wide range of ethnic groups, sexual preferences etc. and I have both studied and lived in other cultures, been active in running a human rights organisation, taught self-defence to LGBT groups and much more.

I understand that various experiences are unique to certain groups within society and that groups may be unique in not having certain experiences. So when a person who will never suffer a particular negative experience dismisses its existence or says/does something that ignores the real negative experience of someone else, they need to be gently reminded that perhaps they take certain advantages for granted. Ideally that person then reflects and understands that they have unwittingly been offensive or simply misunderstood the full situation and then progress can be made.

That is the proper use of privilege checking.

I just hate the culture of victimhood and the "me-too-isms" that run through the SJW movement. I'm straight, white, cis-gendered, able-bodied and have never been diagnosed with a mental disorder. That, by most opinions would make me fairly privileged.

Yet according to Buzzfeed's little test http://www.buzzfeed.com/regajha/how-privileged-are-you I have between 30% and 45% privilege, depending on my interpretation of the questions. For instance, I wear glasses to read and work on the computer, so depending on interpretation, I could answer the question about physical disabilities in an dishonest way. I'm sure there are good reasons for the questions, but anything which says I'm less than 50% privileged is a fucking joke.

I worry that this kind of thing creates a dickhead licence of sorts for those other than the intended beneficiaries (those who might legitimately require more understanding). I'm not singling out the Otherkin, BTW, there are plenty of other offenders out there. If you don't like someone's lifestyle these days (not just their sexuality, gender, ethnicity, religion- but if you happen to think they look like a twat going to the shops in an animal onesey) you'd better Check Your Privilege.

Fuck Off.

That is tantamount to making the passing of judgement on any unpopular activity a hate crime. Not only is it a gross abuse of the intended message, it is a fucking insult to all the people who fought in legitimate struggles to gain freedom from true oppression. Furries (for instance) will never have their own version of the Montgomery Bus Boycott or Stonewall, because they are just privileged deviants.

At least in material terms: those fursuits gotta cost a lot, plus jetting around to meet other furries, plus dry cleaning bills etc.

Another thing: I don't have thin privilege, I have discipline.

As an adult, my bodyweight has fluctuated between 12 stone 6lbs (174 lbs) and 16 stone (224 lbs) because that shit is tough. Food is nice and fattening food is even nicer. I'm not an exercise freak, but I have never just said "fuck it!", embraced the joy of deep fried pizza, bought a mobility scooter and then acted like anyone who gave me a sidewards glance was a holocaust denier.

The abuse of the SJW umbrella and Privilege Checking is nothing other than the shameless masquerading as the victims of oppression.

Even when it is well-directed and sincere, SJW activity has something of a White-Knight-ey feel to it. Which is another can of worms I'm eager to avoid.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
I've actually only ever heard the term "social justice warrior" used by people trying to mock, critique, or otherwise put down people talking about social justice issues. If it was ever used sincerely by social justice activists, I never heard it, and I don't want to bring it back.

I am 100% a feminist, LGBTQ ally, equal rights supporter, what-have you, but the term SJW can kindly vanish and we can go back to terms that mean something in my opinion.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Ok, so in other words a Social Justice Warrior is a person defending something even if he/she don't care about in reality, just to get attention from the others?

So in other word it is something like a Troll?

Before you ask, yes, this is the first time I heared term the Social Justice Warrior.

Archer666

May 27, 2011
Just curious, what do you do that makes you a SJW? Tell me about the deeds you do. I'm curious if the people who "spread the word" on the internet do more then just that.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
ultreos2 said:
thaluikhain said:
Sansha said:
I agree with you on all fronts there. My point is that so very much of 'check yo priv' is just flat-out whining that life is hard. Harder for some than others, sure, but what's whining about how much better some people have it going to accomplish?

There's always going to be an element of that, yes, but then part of the problem with privilege is that it tends to seem normal and natural to people that have it, and things being any other way is abnormal.

Similarly, there's an attitude of not wanting to have to deal with/acknowledge issues that don't affect them. For example, parents not wanting to explain to kids what gay people are, or about racism...so can we stop mentioning it so kids won't ask? That works so well for sex and drugs, after all...
At what age do we discuss those four topics out of curiosity?

You see I hear from many that we should discuss these things with our children. I don't disagree. However when should it, or should it not, occur?

My nephew likes to eat cake frosting first, cake second. I encourage him to try eating it the way I eat it to experiment with the taste for himself, but he seems unwilling.

One day he was mixing jam and popcorn together, no one at the table would join him for that, except for me.

It was me giving him a life lesson. I ended up enjoying the mixture, and because I will try what he enjoys perhaps he will end up taking some of what I have to say to heart in regards to that.

So when do we discuss racism, sexualality, people who are gay, and drugs?

By letting them know through our actions they can talk to us about anything, and mention these things as they seem relevant and teaching through example as well as with words.

People are in fact different from what you find normal, making them abnormal, the important thing to teach is not what is, or is not normal to us, but accepting that others, despite what we consider to be not normal to us, as people we should accept.
Any age I say, if the subject comes up in a natural way. For example, a few years ago my younger sister made a disparaging remark about black people, I took the opportunity to chide her not to judge people on their appearance. Another time we were watching a Simpson's episode and a lesbian character was present, my sister asked what that was and I took the opportunity to explain what gay people were. She understood and accepted it, and that was that. No need to mystify these subjects, just treat them like anything else and explain them in age-appropriate terms.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
SweetShark said:
Ok, so in other words a Social Justice Warrior is a person defending something even if he/she don't care about in reality, just to get attention from the others?

Before you ask, yes, this is the first time I heared term the Social Justice Warrior.
You're not far off the mark, there. At least, insofar as the accusation is concerned.

"You're just a SJW" has replaced "You're just a troll", as the default "I disagree with you but I have no rebuttal" response on this forum.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
IceForce said:
SweetShark said:

You're not far off the mark, there. At least, insofar as the accusation is concerned.

"You're just a SJW" has replaced "You're just a troll", as the default "I disagree with you but I have no rebuttal" response on this forum.
Ah, glad I get a little what a SJW is...
I mean, does they really think they share brains with werewolves? I mean all of them?
Sure, I know the founder will think like that, but the other followers who defend this idea, are 100% true to their words?