Recommend an anime: more difficult

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
michael87cn said:
You mentioned Grave of the Fireflies, which was quite a great anime, I recommend all of the Studio Ghibli animes. A lot of them portray younger protagonists (like Grave of the Fireflies did) but they can still be enjoyed by adults I feel.

I find that I don't enjoy most animes lately myself, everything is just too extreme, too way out there in the left field. Not enough realism, too much surrealism.

However I really wanted to invite you to watch Spice and Wolf, that's why I decided to post here. After the first episode (a couple seconds of nudity) it all becomes fairly normal and you will find a (mostly, for anime) normal world with normal people, living normal lives. No super powers and no gimicks. If I've caught your interest give it a try, the first 3 episodes will hook you, I promise. You'll find wolf so charming you will want to see what happens between her and Spice as they travel the world in his merchants cart.

The entire anime (2 seasons ) are all on Hulu! Here's a link:

http://www.hulu.com/spice-and-wolf?c=Animation-and-Cartoons/Anime
Will give it a shot. Thanks for the recommendation.

FortyPercent

Mar 13, 2011
maninahat said:
You think Black Lagoon is mature? And lacks fanservice? The main woman is walking fan service! I didn't particularly like it, even when watching it for what it is (a dumb fun tribute to action flicks). It certainly isn't what I'm looking for. As I said, adult content doesn't mean "mature".
I'm not attempting to comment on you personally here, but rather, this is just something that bothers me about the 'I only enjoy mature works for mature people such as myself' attitude, so don't take this as an insult or comment on yourself, but more a comment on your concept of maturity.

You aren't more mature than anyone else for preferring works that don't rely on sensationalistic gore and violence, or for thinking that a certain way to write is apparently only for children. Those are your opinions and tastes, but they do not make you inherently more mature. A more mature person recognises that any work can be enjoyed by a truly anybody. I find someone who can watch lowbrow comedy and fanservice filled shows, and that cat watch thought-provoking, subtle and clever shows, and enjoy both on their own merits to be more mature than someone who treats a specific type of work as inherently worse because it doesn't fit their own tastes.

I would also like to add, the person you're replying to is in the wrong for stating Black Lagoon lacks fanservice, but that's simply because 90% of works (not just anime) contain fanservice. Even if we go by just the standard definition of fanservice, that of it being the showing of characters in some sort of sexual way or otherwise to entice fans, a lot of works do this. Ghost in the Shell has done it, and a lot, and it is no worse a work because of it.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
maninahat said:
Alright, you've all seen a topic posted like this every other day. This one is slighlty different however.

Basically, I'm tired of how immature anime is, and I want to watch a show that'll convince me that anime can be for a smart, adult audience. DO NOT RECOMMEND ME ELFEN LIED. That show is exactly the kind of childish, immaturity I am talking about: a show that pretends to be sober and intelligent, but resorts to cheesecake cat girls, inappropriate panty shots at dramatic moments, and sensationalist gore. Adult content does not equal maturity.

I have already seen The Grave of The Fire Flies and Monster, those two being examples of good, mature anime. If you can find me something along those lines, I'd be grateful.
Serial Experiments Lain, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Texnoholyze.

Sakurazaki1023

Feb 15, 2010
FortyPercent said:
maninahat said:
You think Black Lagoon is mature? And lacks fanservice? The main woman is walking fan service! I didn't particularly like it, even when watching it for what it is (a dumb fun tribute to action flicks). It certainly isn't what I'm looking for. As I said, adult content doesn't mean "mature".
I'm not attempting to comment on you personally here, but rather, this is just something that bothers me about the 'I only enjoy mature works for mature people such as myself' attitude, so don't take this as an insult or comment on yourself, but more a comment on your concept of maturity.

You aren't more mature than anyone else for preferring works that don't rely on sensationalistic gore and violence, or for thinking that a certain way to write is apparently only for children. Those are your opinions and tastes, but they do not make you inherently more mature. A more mature person recognises that any work can be enjoyed by a truly anybody. I find someone who can watch lowbrow comedy and fanservice filled shows, and that cat watch thought-provoking, subtle and clever shows, and enjoy both on their own merits to be more mature than someone who treats a specific type of work as inherently worse because it doesn't fit their own tastes.

I would also like to add, the person you're replying to is in the wrong for stating Black Lagoon lacks fanservice, but that's simply because 90% of works (not just anime) contain fanservice. Even if we go by just the standard definition of fanservice, that of it being the showing of characters in some sort of sexual way or otherwise to entice fans, a lot of works do this. Ghost in the Shell has done it, and a lot, and it is no worse a work because of it.
Thank you, couldn't have said it better myself.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Sakurazaki1023 said:
maninahat said:
Black Lagoon actually is fairly intelligent given it's material. It's more obvious in the manga, but there's plenty of philosophy and politics thrown around in between the gunfights. Watching it as a shallow homage to action flicks is almost a disservice since you'll get a lot more out of it if you actually pay attention.
I'd say it feigns intelligence. I remember one episode featuring a particularly obnoxious argument about nihilism. I guess it was there to develop Revy's character, but intelligent it certainly wasn't. Trying to sell her as a broken bird with a tragic past won't work when the rest of the anime is spent gleefully recreating action movie havok.

Also, if you think Revy is walking fanservice, then I repeal my recommendation of Ghost in the Shell. Motoko wears just about as much clothing as a fanservice character, but given the themes of the show and her own personal attitude towards sexuality her character design is both well though out and perfectly reasonable.
It works better for Motoko: she lives in a sterile future and her body was created on an assembly line, thus her sexiness is not only plausable in the context, it goes some way towards the central theme of the loss of humanity. But yes, Motoko is definitely miss fanservice. Revy is just attractive for the purposes of eye candy. Not that this is a problem in itself, but it just doesn't fit with the idea of it being an intelligent mature show (along with the deagle weilding nuns and the torpedoing of a helicopter gunship).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_Ghost_in_the_Shell[/quote]

cabalistics

May 4, 2009
maninahat said:
cabalistics said:
Black Lagoon is my recomendation. It's sort of like someone mashed together the best 80's and 90's American, Hong Kong action and Japanese Yakuza films into one series

The story follows a team of pirates/mercenaries known as Lagoon Company, that smuggles goods in and around the seas of Southeast Asia in the early 1990s.[4] Their base of operations is located in the fictional harbor city of Roanapur in the south-east Thailand (somewhere in the Amphoe Mueang Trat district, likely on the mainland north/north-east of the Ko Chang island or on the island itself).[5] They transport goods in the 80-foot (24 m) Elco-type PT boat Black Lagoon. When on land, they move around and conduct business using Benny's 1968 Plymouth Road Runner. Lagoon Company does business with various clients, but has a particularly friendly relationship with the Russian crime syndicate Hotel Moscow. The team takes on a variety of missions?which may involve violent firefights, hand-to-hand combat, and nautical battles?in various Southeast Asian locations and when not doing much, the members of the Lagoon Company spend much of their down time at The Yellow Flag, a bar in Roanapur which is often destroyed in firefights

It also has some of the toughest sexiest women without ever resorting to fanservice also it's a very gun heavy series, check out this little sample.
If a female character just being sexy counts as fan service then yes Black Lagoon has fan service but it's certainly not pandering with panty shots and simpering submissive females and with the exception of maybe Greenback Jane all the female characters are tough as nails and take no shit and are all the more interesting for it for instance Balalaika might be one of the most fascinating female anime characters I've ever seen

Sakurazaki1023

Feb 15, 2010
maninahat said:
Sakurazaki1023 said:
maninahat said:
Black Lagoon actually is fairly intelligent given it's material. It's more obvious in the manga, but there's plenty of philosophy and politics thrown around in between the gunfights. Watching it as a shallow homage to action flicks is almost a disservice since you'll get a lot more out of it if you actually pay attention.
I'd say it feigns intelligence. I remember one episode featuring a particularly obnoxious argument about nihilism. I guess it was there to develop Revy's character, but intelligent it certainly wasn't. Trying to sell her as a broken bird with a tragic past won't work when the rest of the anime is spent gleefully recreating action movie havok.

Also, if you think Revy is walking fanservice, then I repeal my recommendation of Ghost in the Shell. Motoko wears just about as much clothing as a fanservice character, but given the themes of the show and her own personal attitude towards sexuality her character design is both well though out and perfectly reasonable.
It works better for Motoko: she lives in a sterile future and her body was created on an assembly line, thus her sexiness is not only plausable in the context, it goes some way towards the central theme of the loss of humanity. But yes, Motoko is definitely miss fanservice. Revy is just attractive for the purposes of eye candy. Not that this is a problem in itself, but it just doesn't fit with the idea of it being an intelligent mature show (along with the deagle weilding nuns and the torpedoing of a helicopter gunship).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_Ghost_in_the_Shell
My only response is to point at FortyPercent's comment. Philosophical insight does not inherently become more profound if gleaned from one genre over another.

Getting into a philosophic argument over the validity and intellectual clarity of one series or example over another would get us nowhere. This is a recommendation thread first and foremost, so there's no point in arguing (especially if you've seen both Black Lagoon and GitS already). Instead, I defer to my previous recommendation of Texhnolyze and Ergo Proxy.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
In the interest of adding a little variety, I would like to add Gunslinger Girl. Sounds very action-y, sure, but it is pretty down to earth, and no shortage of mature, not just adult, content. Basically, young orphen girls are forced to go through this process that makes them fast, strong, and durable, because their bodies are the only ones that can undergo the procedure. They are then trained intensely for combat, and assigned a mentor to bond with in the remaining few years they have alive. There's enough character drama that there's not a lot of room left for action, but what is their is top notch and believable.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
cabalistics said:
maninahat said:
cabalistics said:
Black Lagoon is my recomendation. It's sort of like someone mashed together the best 80's and 90's American, Hong Kong action and Japanese Yakuza films into one series

The story follows a team of pirates/mercenaries known as Lagoon Company, that smuggles goods in and around the seas of Southeast Asia in the early 1990s.[4] Their base of operations is located in the fictional harbor city of Roanapur in the south-east Thailand (somewhere in the Amphoe Mueang Trat district, likely on the mainland north/north-east of the Ko Chang island or on the island itself).[5] They transport goods in the 80-foot (24 m) Elco-type PT boat Black Lagoon. When on land, they move around and conduct business using Benny's 1968 Plymouth Road Runner. Lagoon Company does business with various clients, but has a particularly friendly relationship with the Russian crime syndicate Hotel Moscow. The team takes on a variety of missions?which may involve violent firefights, hand-to-hand combat, and nautical battles?in various Southeast Asian locations and when not doing much, the members of the Lagoon Company spend much of their down time at The Yellow Flag, a bar in Roanapur which is often destroyed in firefights

It also has some of the toughest sexiest women without ever resorting to fanservice also it's a very gun heavy series, check out this little sample.
If a female character just being sexy counts as fan service then yes Black Lagoon has fan service but it's certainly not pandering with panty shots and simpering submissive females and with the exception of maybe Greenback Jane all the female characters are tough as nails and take no shit and are all the more interesting for it for instance Balalaika might be one of the most fascinating female anime characters I've ever seen
It isn't "just being sexy". Can't you see the preview image on the video you posted? It doesn't matter if they are as tough as nails. It doesn't matter if they are interesting and non-submissive. That doesn't make the show any more mature.

Grospoliner

Feb 16, 2010
maninahat said:
Alright, you've all seen a topic posted like this every other day. This one is slighlty different however.

Basically, I'm tired of how immature anime is, and I want to watch a show that'll convince me that anime can be for a smart, adult audience. DO NOT RECOMMEND ME ELFEN LIED. That show is exactly the kind of childish, immaturity I am talking about: a show that pretends to be sober and intelligent, but resorts to cheesecake cat girls, inappropriate panty shots at dramatic moments, and sensationalist gore. Adult content does not equal maturity.

I have already seen The Grave of The Fire Flies and Monster, those two being examples of good, mature anime. If you can find me something along those lines, I'd be grateful.
Try these.

TV shows: Ergo Proxy, Haibane Renmei, Key the Metal Idol, Boogiepop Phantom, Infinite Ryvius, Yomigaeru Sora, Flag, Noein, Saikano, Texhnolyze, Sora no woto, Welcome to the NHK, Darker than Black, Durarara, Yozakura Quartet, Patlabor, Armor Hunter Mellowlink, Blame!, Soultaker, Iriya no Sora UFO no Natsu, Iria, Macross Zero, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, Master Keaton.

Movies: Wings of Honneamise, The Place Promised in our Early Days, 5cm / second, Pale Cocoon, Blood the Last Vampire, Metropolis, Perfect Blue, Toki wo kakeru shoujo, Hoshi no Koe.

Ima842

Jan 8, 2011
neon genesis evangelion, it's one of the best animes EVARR(please note that i dont really write like that)
Also School days.

Grospoliner

Feb 16, 2010
I can't help but feel some of the OPs comments are quite ironic. I hope he keeps this in mind that character traits (such as lesbian robots) among other complaints, do not render a series any more or less mature given the setting, tone, and atmosphere of the show/story. That lies more in the presentation and representation. If you can't see the value of the narrative regardless of its perceived short comings then you have problems with your objectivity.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
FortyPercent said:
maninahat said:
You aren't more mature than anyone else for preferring works that don't rely on sensationalistic gore and violence, or for thinking that a certain way to write is apparently only for children.
I never said I was mature, I just want to watch mature shows. People seem to misunderstand what mature means.

Those are your opinions and tastes, but they do not make you inherently more mature. A more mature person recognises that any work can be enjoyed by a truly anybody. I find someone who can watch lowbrow comedy and fanservice filled shows, and that cat watch thought-provoking, subtle and clever shows, and enjoy both on their own merits to be more mature than someone who treats a specific type of work as inherently worse because it doesn't fit their own tastes.
I watch all kinds of animes and enjoy them on their own merits. I don't happen to like Black Lagoon, even watching it on its own terms, but that doesn't mean I won't watch what I consider to be whimsical or immature animes in general. For the purpsoe of this topic,I just wanted to find mature animes because they are comparatively rare (and I'm tired of seeing nothing but the immature kind).

So a lot of writers have a low opinion of their audience if they think they have to keep them hooked to a story with sexy money shots. Having a sexy character in itself isn't a problem. Ghost in the Shell gets extra points because the sexiness of the character makes sense in the context, and goes a long way to illustrating the loss of humanity (note how her sexiness was manufactured on an assembly line, and her sexiness is only rarely reflected upon, suggesting a society that is losing the drives and instincts that seperate man from machine). But that doesn't make the fan service shots [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbyRSq2_SSI] of her any less childish, innapropriate, or exploitive. I argue it is the worse for it. One of my favourite shows, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou comes across as a totally gentle and restrained story, but they saw fit to stick scenes with lesbian robots making out in there. I found that very annoying.

EscapingReality

Dec 31, 2010
Rabid Toilet said:
I'll second Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni.

The first episode or two make it seem like it will be kind of silly.

Trust me when I say keep watching.
I am proud to say that Higurashi got me into learning Japanese in University... I am currently at level 6 of 8 mastering kanjis like there's no tommorrow!

Also, I dearly recommend H20: Footprints in the Sand.

FortyPercent

Mar 13, 2011
maninahat said:
So a lot of writers have a low opinion of their audience if they think they have to keep them hooked to a story with sexy money shots. Having a sexy character in itself isn't a problem. Ghost in the Shell gets extra points because the sexiness of the character makes sense in the context, and goes a long way to illustrating the loss of humanity (note how her sexiness was manufactured on an assembly line, and her sexiness is only rarely reflected upon, suggesting a society that is losing the drives and instincts that seperate man from machine). But that doesn't make the fan service shots [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbyRSq2_SSI] of her any less childish, innapropriate, or exploitive. I argue it is the worse for it. One of my favourite shows, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou comes across as a totally gentle and restrained story, but they saw fit to stick scenes with lesbian robots making out in there. I found that very annoying.
See, here's the thing - you seem to think that a work showing it's fans something they may find sexually enticing is apparently an inherently bad thing. Why is that? If you consider it an insult to your intelligence, since it's apparently there to keep people hooked, then you're taking it way too personally.

If I write a story, and I want to make a character attractive to some people, why does it take away from my work in doing so? A work is not inherently worse just because it attempts to give it's fans something to appreciate on the side. It is not inherently better, either, certainly, but it is by no means a fault. And 'childish, inappropriate and exploitive' are far too strong words. I consider myself an adult, and I'll say right now that I can enjoy a character for being a character and enjoy any fanservice they may be part of if I figure they're attractive on the side too.

Just to clarify, you're free to dislike fanservice, but it's an inherent part of many, many works, anime or otherwise, and by disliking it and assuming it makes works inherently worse, you are only lowering your own enjoyment of a work.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
I hear Bobobo Bobo Bobobo has a pretty serious main plot.

WrcklessIntent

Apr 16, 2009
Jonluw said:
WrcklessIntent said:
Jonluw said:
Clannad is great, but there's quite a lot of generic slice of life silliness.

FLCL is quite a mature growing-up story, I would say; but still very silly.

Welcome to the NHK. A very interesting story, but once again a lot of silliness.

Rin daughters of Mnemosyne has an intersting story, but I don't know if you'd think it handles its adult content maturely or not.
I did consider adding TTGL as well...
I don't know if OP would like it though. He seems to be in the mood for serious business [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TrueArtIsAngsty], you know.

I liked Rin. I liked how the story stretched over time as it did, and how it all became, well... sort of clear in the end.
Thats almost the whole reason why I kept watching it. I loved how the story kept moving from generation to generation. I loved that concept and I hope other shows explore with the idea.