Recommend an anime: more difficult

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
maninahat said:
Alright, you've all seen a topic posted like this every other day. This one is slighlty different however.

Basically, I'm tired of how immature anime is, and I want to watch a show that'll convince me that anime can be for a smart, adult audience. DO NOT RECOMMEND ME ELFEN LIED. That show is exactly the kind of childish, immaturity I am talking about: a show that pretends to be sober and intelligent, but resorts to cheesecake cat girls, inappropriate panty shots at dramatic moments, and sensationalist gore. Adult content does not equal maturity.

I have already seen The Grave of The Fire Flies and Monster, those two being examples of good, mature anime. If you can find me something along those lines, I'd be grateful.
Le Chevalier D'eon

And Getbackers.

Gincairn

Jan 14, 2010
Death Note, Hellsing, Full Metal Alchemist (And FMA Brotherhood), D.Grayman (Although I can't recommend that one too highly as I've only watched the first couple so far). All of those are worth viewing, I know Death Note had already been mentioned but I wasn't sure about the others.

Ghost In the Shell is apparently very good, but I never really enjoyed the first film, so I wasn't interested in the series.

You could also try a couple of movies, Appleseed and Patlabor 1+2 all three are well worth looking into.

Finally there was the original "Cyber-Punk Collection" released a few years back by Manga Video, they would include AD Police, Geno Cyber and Cyber City Oedo 808, all have their own merits and are worth a look.

The only others I watch probably wouldn't meet your specifications.

Project_Xii

Jul 5, 2009
It's sounds like by "mature" you're really asking for tame, boring and serious. In which case I'd have to recommend Lain, Witch Hunter Robin, Otogi Zoshi, and Madlax. All series I've despised and traded back in immediately after watching them, but sound right up your alley.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
maninahat said:
Alright, you've all seen a topic posted like this every other day. This one is slighlty different however.

Basically, I'm tired of how immature anime is, and I want to watch a show that'll convince me that anime can be for a smart, adult audience. DO NOT RECOMMEND ME ELFEN LIED. That show is exactly the kind of childish, immaturity I am talking about: a show that pretends to be sober and intelligent, but resorts to cheesecake cat girls, inappropriate panty shots at dramatic moments, and sensationalist gore. Adult content does not equal maturity.

I have already seen The Grave of The Fire Flies and Monster, those two being examples of good, mature anime. If you can find me something along those lines, I'd be grateful.
Buso renkin and Full Metal alchemist come to mind. Both address mature topics and stay away from some of the more immature comedy that plagues anime. They each have an episode or two that has the immature comedy, but on the whole, they are very good.
However, I might even suggest Code Geass above those two for mature anime. It was one of the most mature anime I've ever watched.

Sakurazaki1023

Feb 15, 2010
WrcklessIntent said:
Jonluw said:
WrcklessIntent said:
Jonluw said:
Clannad is great, but there's quite a lot of generic slice of life silliness.

FLCL is quite a mature growing-up story, I would say; but still very silly.

Welcome to the NHK. A very interesting story, but once again a lot of silliness.

Rin daughters of Mnemosyne has an intersting story, but I don't know if you'd think it handles its adult content maturely or not.
I did consider adding TTGL as well...
I don't know if OP would like it though. He seems to be in the mood for serious business [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TrueArtIsAngsty], you know.

I liked Rin. I liked how the story stretched over time as it did, and how it all became, well... sort of clear in the end.
Thats almost the whole reason why I kept watching it. I loved how the story kept moving from generation to generation. I loved that concept and I hope other shows explore with the idea.
I enjoyed Rin quite a bit, but I'm going to agree that it's probably not that good of a recommendation in this case. If the OP has issues with a perceived lack of maturity when dealing with mature content (with fanservice being a major issue), then Rin would be the exact opposite of what I'd recommend. Given his comments on the negligible amounts of fanservice in other works, I'd say something far more chaste is in order...

Giuglea

Dec 2, 2010
try deathnote..and if you like it then go with code geass..those are the most mature ones i can think of now..

ensouls

Feb 1, 2010
If you like trippy, maybe Mind Game? [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf1qvAE_epc] I'd call it more... irreverent than immature. Very good animation, too.

Also, Memories, or at least the Rose one. [=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memories_%28film%29]

I'm adding my votes to Paprika, Porco Rosso/Nausicaa/Mononoke, Perfect Blue, GitS and Paranoia Agent. Some are cheesier or more predictable than others. Have to admit I shy away from the more serious and/or melancholy anime - I keep that to my books. But there are some good recommendations in this thread anyway.

TiloXofXTanto

Aug 18, 2010
...I wanna say, Eden of the East... maybe
Speed grapher. Definitely speed grapher.
........Don't think I have any more......

Code geass...To an extent
...I'm out.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Gincairn said:
Ghost In the Shell is apparently very good, but I never really enjoyed the first film, so I wasn't interested in the series.
You should consider giving Stand Alone Complex a try anyway, to be honest.

It's completely different, and it's a separate continuity.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
cabalistics said:
I have to agree with you completely with you there. She reminded me a lot of Hellsing's Integra. One bas assed mother f*cker.

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
My god I love anyone who will openly bash Elfin Lied, its a good thing.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is usually up there as far as mature anime goes
Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo and Ergo Proxy are also worth checking out

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
One that isn't too disgusting or too weird to comprehend? It's dark, it's thought-provoking and it shows the not-so-nice side of current (that is, not futuristic) Japanese society... Paranoia Agent. It doesn't have too many episodes, but it gives you so much that children's or young adult anime would never give you, like new perspectives on how technology may be keeping us apart, how unreliable people can be, how easy it is to hide oneself in fantasy... it's quite good so far, but to be completely honest I haven't finished it.

I still don't quite understand the mythology, but Serial Experiments Lain has been mentioned, with good reason. Again, not so dark that I lost interest in the hopeless mess of it all, but dark enough to make you shudder and consider things you otherwise wouldn't have wanted to. This one is a bit less real-life at the beginning, but it doesn't become too supernatural at the very end like Paranoia Agent kind of does. The story loops back on itself so much I still have some puzzling out to do, but at least I finished watching it.

In movies you have a much bigger adult selection. I (fearfully) recommend Akira, but that one even made me feel ill, so be prepared for body horror. There's not much you need to think about like the other two I mentioned, this one has just about all the mystery solved by the end. Good for if you have less time to spare for watching and figure out the plot. It is, as you requested, most certainly not for children.

Mr. Mortiss

May 24, 2010
Gungrave has an interesting mafia story with themes of loyalty and betrayal, although there is a lot of anime scifi in the second half.

Gundam Wing is something I'd recommend, I'd say it has a fair balance between action and story about how war can affect people.

I would recommend Betterman, but it's almost impossible to find and it's also next to impossible to follow if you don't pay attention.

It's been a while since I saw Silent Mobius, but I think it might be up your ally.

Movies I'd have to recommend would be:

Voices of a Distant Star
The Place Promised in Our Early Days
Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis
And I've heard that Tokyo Godfathers is very good.

And if you're also looking for manga to read go to mangafox and read Akumestu, the best way to describe it is as how tvtropes does: V for Vendetta meets Atlus Shrugged, meets the Punisher, meets anime.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
Read, not watch Rurouni Kenshin. Great overall series. Has it's humourous moments but really buckles down when it wants to get serious.

Duruznik

Aug 16, 2009
Baccano is quite adult, in my opinion. It's not gratuitous or anything, it just doesn't have any of the hallmarks of chidlrens' anime, in my opinion.

It's about immortal gangsters in the 1930s. It has the highest concentration of badasserry I've ever seen, too.