Recommend an anime: more difficult

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
maninahat said:
Mature?

Legends of the galactic Heroes (LOTS of political stuff, spaceship battles and characters)

Ghost in the Shell series (the Laughing man, The individual Eleven) are very good. My favorite anime by far.

Mmh.. Ergo Proxy might interest you.
Cowboy Beebop.

Anything by Ghibli Studios. Might be kind of cute, but its always highly polished and interesting. The only one i didnt like so far is "Tales from Earthsea"

spooks491

Dec 2, 2009
I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for, but the best "mature" anime I've seen (that haven't been mentioned yet) are:

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Set in a fantasy version of ancient Korea, the plot revolves around a famous female bodyguard who gets roped into protecting a cursed eight year-old prince. It is a bit slow but it takes itself very seriously. It also has truly epic fight scenes, great characters, some of the most beautiful art I've seen outside a Ghibli film, and absolutely no fanservice.

Towards the Terra
A remake of an old movie from the 80s, this series takes place in the future and follows the conflict between the psychic "Mu" and a dystopian human society run by artificial intelligences. The main characters start out as teenagers, and Joley in particular is a bit annoying, but there are several time skips showing how they grow into interesting adults. A very serious anime dealing with genocide and the dark side of human nature.

House of Five Leaves
A slice of life series about a samurai who falls in with a gang of kidnappers. It's only thirteen episodes and pretty much nothing happens, but the characters are so engaging you might not care. Plus it's on Hulu, so if you're in America you can watch it for free!

SkoopMaster

Jul 4, 2010
Bam
I'm sorry I just couldn't help my self

But really a friend of mine has been pestering me to check out Maria watches over us (Maria-sama ga Miteru)

I have not seen it yet but my friend is more inclined to the mature sophisticated type of thing, which I find extremely hilarious because he was expecting a somewhat perverted show about lesbians (and the fact that he was somewhat hoping for that to get some shits and giggles).

BUT NO! What he got was something completely different and he was pleasantly surprised in fact he told me he didn't wanna watch anymore anime after that because nothing would compare.

and that's saying a lot coming from such a close minded guy who shuts out anything that doesn't go his way.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Jin-Roh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oui3kAkUqE

Escaflowne: the Movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkMZZJrAj-E

Crest/Banner of the Stars
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0-qHRoDbU4

Persona: Trinity Soul
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBkPRT3yvqk

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Eden of the East is a great suspense story with very natural dialogue, so it doesn't fall into that trend that some anime follow by having their characters talk in non-sensical poetry to sound smart. Its hard to say much since the best part of the series is finding out what exactly is happening. Its not to long ether 11 episodes and 2 or 3 movies. Its defiantly an anime I recommend to people who don't typically like anime.

pyramid head grape

[Game-Over]
Feb 4, 2011
TeeBs said:
My god I love anyone who will openly bash Elfin Lied, its a good thing.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is usually up there as far as mature anime goes
Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo and Ergo Proxy are also worth checking out
Then look no further, It was so painful to watch just look at my avatar the other guy is any elfin lied fan.

ilion

Aug 20, 2009
SIMPLE, Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Its like War and Peace in space, with classical music, and incredibly humane.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
If your okay with hard sci-fi, watch Ergo Proxy. Or Ghost in the shell. Yeah, go with ghost in the shell.

I would suggest NOT going for Neon Genesis Evangelion, as others have suggested. I hate can barely even stand the first movie, let alone the entire box set (Which I actually own for some reason) because the main character won't stop his whiny bitching. That and the constant bullshit, tacked on christian imagery that was there for absolutely no reason. It was just tacked on. You could say I'm biased due to being a atheist, but even I know when something is just being put in at an attempt to be 'deep'

Also, ANYTHING and I mean ANYTHING, studio ghibli has done. I honestly consider them to be superior to Pixar, and no I'm not some Japanophile who tries to hate everything western (One of my 5 favorite movies is Wall-e), Studio Ghibli is just that good. I'd suggest Princess Mononoke.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
SkoopMaster said:
Bam

But really a friend of mine has been pestering me to check out Maria watches over us (Maria-sama ga Miteru)

I have not seen it yet but my friend is more inclined to the mature sophisticated type of thing, which I find extremely hilarious because he was expecting a somewhat perverted show about lesbians (and the fact that he was somewhat hoping for that to get some shits and giggles).

BUT NO! What he got was something completely different and he was pleasantly surprised in fact he told me he didn't wanna watch anymore anime after that because nothing would compare.

and that's saying a lot coming from such a close minded guy who shuts out anything that doesn't go his way.
I absolutely love that show, but I'm not sure it's what the OP is looking for. There's no fanservice or catgirls or anything of the sort, but it gets a little melodramatic, especially in the second season.

Any other criticisms are annulled by the presence of Satou Sei, though.

SkoopMaster

Jul 4, 2010
mireko said:
SkoopMaster said:
Bam

I absolutely love that show, but I'm not sure it's what the OP is looking for. There's no fanservice or catgirls or anything of the sort, but it gets a little melodramatic, especially in the second season.

Any other criticisms are annulled by the presence of Satou Sei, though.
Well, shit I guess I got nothing then well except for Claymore maybe...

Sorry OP I failed you

Demongeneral109

Jan 23, 2010
Asimus said:
Ghost in the shell is also nice
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=61
I also recommend Ghost In the Shell, there is so fanserivce or real silliness outside of a group of support characters. It really conveys the sense of a real world! I do recommend you watch the dub, its amazing!

Demongeneral109

Jan 23, 2010
Has anyone recommended code geass? Its not serious at all times, trying to balance more serious moments with more typical slice-of-life, but it does a good job with its main plot and character development/analysis. OP, I hope you can stand some standard anime tropes, otherwise your going to be frustrated in your search.

Also, death Note

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Clannad and Clannad After Story (The sequel if you didnt know) if you love anime....WATCH THIS!!

DanyoSouth

Nov 18, 2009
I would suggest:
FLCL
Beck
Golden Boy
Cowbow Bebop
and Black Lagoon

All are great English dubbed if you're looking for that.

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
If you're looking for an experience that can truly be called 'mature,' then I would recommend Spice and Wolf. It's simplistic in its set-up and the execution of the plot is superb. It's not over-the-top while at the same time being more than it actually is. Personally, I prefer the novels it was based off of, but the anime is nothing to cringe from, either.

bendelsohn

Nov 21, 2009
I'm just gonna say that I personally love Hokuto no Ken. It might not be your kind of thing, but it is quite fun to watch.