Recommend Anime

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
Rivana said:
The backstory Samurai X is also a really good intro into RK.
I'm not sure how good an intro the OVAs are. They are excellent, but a lot of their impact on me came from how much Kenshin had changed. I think its a better idea to watch the series first, so you have an established idea of Kenshins character.

Anyway, my recommendations:

Full Metal Alchemist
Rurouni Kenshin
Elfen Lied
Neon Genesis Evangelion, I like it, some people don't but you at least need to form an opinion of it.
Vision of Escaflowne, the most romantic story involving giant robots I have ever seen.

neuromasser

Jan 20, 2009
^when you complete all recommendations, check what I've watched: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/neuromasser :D

HazukiHawkins

Mar 3, 2009
rottenbutter said:
defcon 1 said:
PirateKing said:
Gurren Lagann. The Funimation version of One Piece. Seriously. Not the horrible 4Kids version.
If you don't mind me asking, what's the difference?
The 4kids dub has many stupid animation edits, bad voice acting, terrible replacement music, and butchers the entire story. The Funimation dub is much better, but both are inferior to watching it subbed.
This is very nearly a universal rule: There are better and worse dubs, and there are better and worse subtitles, but the original japanese voice acting is preferrable in almost every case. Ideally, you would know enough japanese to only need to refer to the subtitles some of the time; that way you won't risk being confused or underwhelmed by mistranslated or, *shudder*, "adapted" dialogue... but reading the subs works too, and that way you can still take in the emotion, inflections and all the other stuff from the japanese voices.

I would recommend...
Grenadier
Slayers
Azumanga Daioh
Maze - Mega-Burst Space
Onegai Teacher/Twins
Bio-booster Armor Guyver
Generator Gawl
Kannazuki no Miko
Steel Angel Kurumi
Dirty Pair
Those Who Hunt Elves
Kyou Kara Maou!
G-on Riders
Hokuto no Ken / Fist of the North Star
Full Metal Panic
Trigun

There are more but I can't think of their names just yet...

Rivana

Mar 26, 2009
pigeon_of_doom said:
I'm not sure how good an intro the OVAs are. They are excellent, but a lot of their impact on me came from how much Kenshin had changed. I think its a better idea to watch the series first, so you have an established idea of Kenshins character.

Heh, thats the order I watched it in. Watched the series, then read the manga, then watched Samurai X. I agree with you. :) We should be friends.

I just want the badge actually :p

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
I can't recommend any anime. I hate it all. It's either Hello Kitty or some ridiculously emo guy with a stupid haircut brooding about his girlfriend.

It's all either sickeningly happy or really, really depressing. There's no middle ground!

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Anachronism said:
I can't recommend any anime. I hate it all. It's either Hello Kitty or some ridiculously emo guy with a stupid haircut brooding about his girlfriend.

It's all either sickeningly happy or really, really depressing. There's no middle ground!
Bleach.

Shaman King.

And a ton more.

Rivana

Mar 26, 2009
Abedeus said:
Bleach.

Shaman King.

And a ton more.
I like Bleach, only problem I have is the incredible amount of filler episodes they have in the anime. The manga is a really good read though.

DYMongoose

Mar 19, 2009
Anachronism said:

All is a huge word. I don't recall any cutesy cuteness or emo-haired girlfriend brooding in Transformers (circa 1984), Samurai Champloo, or Ghost in the Shell.

Ironarm

Apr 10, 2009
The only Anime I can recommend is Neon Genesis Evangelion. It is serioulsly the ONLY anime I watched and liked. Actually, loved. The character's are unlikeable, but the story is extremely well done.
And if you do watch it I do recommend watching the final two episodes and THEN watching End of Evangelion. The last two episodes are pretty trippy, but that's because it's what's happening inside the mian character's head. The End of Evangelion movie is what ACTUALLY happened. Both endings are pretty...screwed up though.

(And why is it that 90% of people that love anime seem to HATE Neon Genesis Evangelion? I asked my anime club at my school this and they just disowned me for liking it.)

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Rivana said:
Abedeus said:
Bleach.

Shaman King.

And a ton more.
I like Bleach, only problem I have is the incredible amount of filler episodes they have in the anime. The manga is a really good read though.
Yeah, fillers suck. Only the last one (2 episodes) were good, but that's because they are the first ones that fit into the storyline.

rottenbutter

Aug 5, 2008
Ironarm said:
The only Anime I can recommend is Neon Genesis Evangelion. It is serioulsly the ONLY anime I watched and liked. Actually, loved. The character's are unlikeable, but the story is extremely well done.
And if you do watch it I do recommend watching the final two episodes and THEN watching End of Evangelion. The last two episodes are pretty trippy, but that's because it's what's happening inside the mian character's head. The End of Evangelion movie is what ACTUALLY happened. Both endings are pretty...screwed up though.

(And why is it that 90% of people that love anime seem to HATE Neon Genesis Evangelion? I asked my anime club at my school this and they just disowned me for liking it.)
You answered you own question. A lot of people (myself included) wont care about how great a story is, if they hate all the characters. Plus, EVA is a show you have to watch multiple to actually understand it, so they would have suffer through the characters again in order to find out the story. So they won't get the full story.

I hear the manga does characters a lot better, and I think the movie Rebuild definitely does it better as well.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Abedeus said:
Bleach.

Shaman King.

And a ton more.
DYMongoose said:
All is a huge word. I don't recall any cutesy cuteness or emo-haired girlfriend brooding in Transformers (circa 1984), Samurai Champloo, or Ghost in the Shell.
Oddly enough, I was exaggerating for (limited) comic effect. I still don't particularly like anime, though.

KBKarma

May 14, 2008
pigeon_of_doom said:
Vision of Escaflowne, the most romantic story involving giant robots I have ever seen.
Ever watched Eureka Seven? It's lots of love stories, alongside big robots and some mind-screwyness.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
KBKarma said:
pigeon_of_doom said:
Ever watched Eureka Seven? It's lots of love stories, alongside big robots and some mind-screwyness.
No, I haven't, but its on my to-watch list. It sounds like Eureka Seven has more romantic subplots, but the romance factor in Escaflowne is an absoloutely vital (and far-fetched) part of the plot.

KBKarma

May 14, 2008
pigeon_of_doom said:
KBKarma said:
pigeon_of_doom said:
No, I haven't, but its on my to-watch list. It sounds like Eureka Seven has more romantic subplots, but the romance factor in Escaflowne is an absoloutely vital (and far-fetched) part of the plot.
Each of the romantic sub-plots are PART of the plot. Well, most of them, anyway. Escaflowne's been on my watch list for a bit as well, coincidentally.

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
A lot of good ones have already been suggested, so it's tough to say anything. Probably Elfen Lied, Azumanga Daioh and Pokemon(ONLY THE FIRST SEASON!!! IT'S CRAP NOWADAYS!!). I'm currently watching FLCL thanks to this thread. Also, if you HAVE to watch Fullmetal Alchemist, try the manga instead. Anime was WAY inferior.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Ddgafd said:
A lot of good ones have already been suggested, so it's tough to say anything. Probably Elfen Lied, Azumanga Daioh and Pokemon(ONLY THE FIRST SEASON!!! IT'S CRAP NOWADAYS!!). I'm currently watching FLCL thanks to this thread. Also, if you HAVE to watch Fullmetal Alchemist, try the manga instead. Anime was WAY inferior.
With regards to FLCL, are you watching dubs or subs? Because the English dubs are pretty good.

The FMA anime was still flippin' sweet, it just didn't stick to the manga, which according to most is even sweeter.

WiccaVamp

Jun 26, 2009
dunno if there already there (sorry if i repeat):

Blood+ (but don't watch Blood:the last vampire...that was horrid)
Basalisk
Ghost in the shell, I'd start with movies then stand alone conplex personally.
Ninjascroll first movie was good
Tank police
metropolis
cowboy bebop
Evangalian
Hellsing unlimited
Witch hunter robin
Vampire princess Myu
Vampire hunter D

cant think of much more but i haven't slept yet...so..hope I helped.