Recommend/Discuss Good War Films and Series

blackaddicus

Apr 2, 2011
Anarchemitis said:
Patton is my favorite World War II film. Granted the focus is about the eccentric character of the subject man, but man was he an interesting guy. And it made for a fantastic epic.
Patton is one of my all time favorite ww2 movies, however that would have more to do with the fact that the good General is one of my personal idols.

AD-Stu said:
The Hurt Locker loses points for its military inaccuracies (even as a layperson I can watch it and say "oh they'd NEVER do that...") and people's mileage on it varies a lot, but I still thought it was a hell of a movie.
I agree with The Hurt Locker losing points for its inaccuracy. My younger brother is a Sapper (combat engineers) with the Australian Army (job description involves blowing stuff up), and he could pick out things that i couldn't pick out as wrong.

Dalisclock said:
AD-Stu said:
- Black Hawk Down has a more action, and is also awesome. One of my favorite movies ever.
I really liked black hawk down, except for the stupid little "This is why we're here" moments that kept showing up in the film and were very transparently inserted by the pentagon.
BTW the rounds that are used in Black Hawk Down are all blanks, you can tell as the rounds all have crimped heads.

All that said two interesting ww2 war movies that i could recommend are The Guns of Navarone and Force 10 From Navarone both are based on books by Alister MacLean, with a focus on stealth operations and sabotage.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
People have already mentioned my two favourite WWII movies (Das Boot and Stalingrad), so I'll just add my favourite WWI movie - Lawrence of Arabia. Yeah, it's less action-heavy and it's absurdly long, but I think those things actually work in its favour.

For a different take on the whole WWII context, I'd also suggest Mrs. Miniver - a movie made during the war about the homefront (in the UK). It's dated now, and sappy in parts, but still totally worth watching IMO. There's a US tv series from the 1990s called Homefront that's set immediately after WWII that has a somewhat similar style (although I'm not sure how easy it is to find that one - something about issues with the rights to the music, I think).

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Paths of Glory is a great anti-war film about WWI and one of my favourite Kubrick films.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
Talvisota - Winter War

It's a fantastic depiction of Finlands struggle against the Soviet Union, an overwhelming opponent. It shows what goes trough the minds of the soldiers, who do not care what side is right, they just care about protecting their homeland. If you can get past the subtitles, I implore you to give it a watch, it's superb.

Also, not many films there that are filmed from the side of the Axis.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I would name many stated above, but to add a new one it would be Tunnel Rats. Yep, a Uwe Boll movie, now dont dismiss this movie. Its about the Vietnam war and the American solider trained to fight in the tunnels under ground. I think its an area of that war movies tend to forget about.

Would also add Saving Private Ryan on its battle scenes.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I forgot about Letters from Iwo Jima and Flags of our Fathers. Clint Eastwood's dual movie compilation about the battle is really neat and fair to both sides. The Japanese are still extremely fanatical, but it at least shows that a lot of that was dogma and patriotism ingrained into them, rather than a sadistic desire they developed individually.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
I forgot about Letters from Iwo Jima and Flags of our Fathers. Clint Eastwood's dual movie compilation about the battle is really neat and fair to both sides. The Japanese are still extremely fanatical, but it at least shows that a lot of that was dogma and patriotism ingrained into them, rather than a sadistic desire they developed individually.
Both of those are on my to watch list. I have no idea when I will see them but I want to sooner or later.

Wereduck

Jun 17, 2010
Not many things compare to the balls-out awesomeness of Band of Brothers. However, I can give an enthusiastic +1 for Paths of Glory, Force 10 from Navarone, Lawrence of Arabia, The Longest Day, Midway, Das Boot, and Enemy at the Gates.

Referring back to the OP though; all I can say about The Thin Red Line is that it's a 3 hour long war movie and the only strong feeling I took away is that the south pacific is beautiful and I should take a vacation there someday. I encourage you to NOT see it as hard as you possibly can.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
I'm going to throw my hat in for The Thin Red Line because I've always found it to be a much better film than the one that got all the attention in 1998, aka Saving Private Ryan. It's an excellent film that, while much of the movie is either in the midst of combat or cowering behind the lines, it focuses so much on the individual lives of the soldiers who fought in Guadalcanal that it's much more of an introspective piece than a "real" war film. I also find it hard to disagree with the music or the emotional resonance.

That being said, as Wereduck point out, it's a long movie and it's pacing can be tedious. Characters are barely given names you can reasonably follow and their stories are told almost as if they were mere afterthoughts. It's definitely a movie you need to think through, and as many reviewers will point out it's more about the philosophy of war and the men who fight (hence the title) than the actual battle specifics. It also relies heavily on acting, flashbacks, and the viewer being invested in the story. I've recently re-watched it and it's still a fantastic movie.

As for others, many good ones have been pointed out so I won't reiterate them here. However, if you need a comedy, you can't go wrong with Dr. Strangelove. It may not be a traditional war film but it does deal with the Cold War in all of its wonderful black humour. Now that is certainly a classic.

(Has anyone mentioned documentaries? The War by Ken Burns is also worth a watch. Heavily American based but tells more personal stories like all of his other works.)

Lorpo

Jan 26, 2012
Generation War, three part series billed as the German 'Band of Brothers'. Recently aired here on tv and was really bloody good. Follows a group of five friends, two brothers who are soldiers, a girl who becomes a semi famous singer, another girl who becomes a frontline nurse and jewish bloke. Shows WW2 from the German side, how Hitler duped to populace and how the war looked through some of their eyes.

Lorpo

Jan 26, 2012
Generation War, three part series billed as the German 'Band of Brothers'. Recently aired here on tv and was really bloody good. Follows a group of five friends, two brothers who are soldiers, a girl who becomes a semi famous singer, another girl who becomes a frontline nurse and jewish bloke. Shows WW2 from the German side, how Hitler duped to populace and how the war looked through some of their eyes.