Recommend me a fighting game

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Souplex said:
Smash Bros. The answer is always Smash Bros.
I know you said it has to be for PS4 or PC, but everyone has a 3DS, you're part of everyone, therefore you have a 3DS.
I don't have a 3DS.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Dirty Hipsters said:
PurplePonyArcade said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Lufia Erim said:
Guity gear Xrd -Revelator 2.

It's 5 button fighter. With a pretty good story mode ( without fighting, so basically an Anime). The in game tutorials, and mechanic explanations are top notch. The characters are all reletively balanced. It has a nice design style. And its new so if you do decide to venture onlinr you will see people of all skill levels.
I was considering that one since I really like the art, but how focused is it on execution? If I have to do a pretzel motion for anything I'm out.
That's a ***** thing to say but to each her own. Oinodaemon already pointed out that Brawlhalla is the best choice if you want a decent game with very low execution. Otherwise asking for a fighting game without execution is liking asking for an FPS with neither guns nor the first-person perspective. I am more than happy to recommend a ton of fighting games. However what you ask ins confusing.
To me fighting games are all about reading your opponents, figuring out what they're going to do before they do it, and then countering that. Execution heavy controls just get in the way of that, they add an additional level of obfuscation that to me seems pointless to the core mechanics.

Take for example Tekken. Every character in Tekken has 100+ different moves. Out of all of those moves each character has roughly 20 that are considered "good" and useful all the time, and the rest are just marginally useful moves that you pull out under very specific conditions, or most likely because you fucked up and were trying to do a completely different move. The reason that Tekken's button inputs are as complicated as they are is because they have to be able to accommodate 100+ moves using nothing but 4 buttons and the stick. If they instead had a more limited move list of 25 moves you would lower the barrier to entry for each character, making it much easier to learn to play every single character competently, and it would promote more reads and mind games, which are where the real fun is in a fighting game.
You gotta learn stuff like wavedashing in tekken. Don't overly focus on how hard just the moves are. Tekken mobility is the actual hard part of the game, not attacking. You just don't even know you're playing the game wrong if you're a beginner so it lends itself to the illusion of skill more than a game in which you clearly can tell you're failing to input that super.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Souplex said:
but everyone has a 3DS, you're part of everyone, therefore you have a 3DS.
Man if only that was true... I'm always open for funding to make that statement more true though, if you're so inclined.

PurplePonyArcade

Apr 9, 2015
Dirty Hipsters said:
RealRT said:
Injustice, MK9/XL. Also, if you want to get better at 6-button fighters, try Skullgirls, the game has a pretty good tutorial mode that explains basic mechanics of Capcom-style fighters.
I own skullgirls. That's where I found that I don't like six button fighters without a stick, but I'm also not shelling out $120 for a stick.
I have found good quality sticks for less. It depends on where you look even if I admit it is usually never a good idea to buy a stick for less than $100USD.

THAT SAID you do need have to have a stick for Skullgirls. SonicFox and DreamBoyPurple don't use sticks in Skullgirls and get just fine. Yeah people like me strongly prefer sticks in fighting games in general. Yes maybe there are some factors that do make one better than the other like how my friend can't grasp putting his whole hand on the stick and me being the opposite that pads do not feel good for fighting games and wear down my thumb but it really is mostly preference.

Overall I do not want to come off as rude. I like helping people get into fighting games as much as possible and that is one of the only things in life that I can tolerate actually helping another human being. That said you understanding or lack of(really both) of fighting games kind of bugs me to say the least. Between that and your confusing requests I feel like maybe I might just need to leave you alone and avoid any misinformation or conflict. Good luck finding whatever you need though. It's all good fun in the end be it casual, competitive or both.

Vanilla ISIS

Dec 14, 2015
Dirty Hipsters said:
I don't have the patience to learn the execution based fighters
Well then you should definitely NOT play

Lufia Erim said:
Guity gear Xrd -Revelator 2
Or any Guilty Gear, for that matter. Those games are some of the harderst fighting games ever made.

Try Tekken.
Tekken games are perfect if you just want to mash buttons for a few hours.
There are legitimate combos which you have to learn but you don't need them unless you're competing.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Vanilla ISIS said:
Dirty Hipsters said:

Lufia Erim said:
Or any Guilty Gear, for that matter. Those games are some of the harderst fighting games ever made.

Try Tekken.
There are legitimate combos which you have to learn but you don't need them unless you're competing.
If you just wanna mash, Stylish mode controls let you do that in GG too.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Vanilla ISIS said:
Dirty Hipsters said:

Lufia Erim said:

Try Tekken.
Hardest games ever made to do what? What are you basing this on.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Dirty Hipsters said:
So I've suddenly got an itch to play a fighting game.

I don't usually play fighting games, I'm quite bad at them, and I don't have the patience to learn the execution based fighters. I feel like if pros who have played a game for years at the highest level can fuck up a combo and lose a match because of it, then the controls are poorly thought out.

I do really like the idea of fighting games based on the basic "rock paper scissors" timing and decision making skills as well as positioning and footsies.

So having said that, I'm looking for a game that would appeal to my fighting game sensibilities.

Game needs to be on either the PS4 or PC, and I would prefer a 4 button fighter over 6 button (mostly because I don't have a fight stick, and I feel like 4 button fighters work better on a controller).

Thanks for any suggestions.
Hey i just remembered. If you want to wait a bit. Marvel vs capcom Infinity is due out in a couple of months and i think it meets all your criteria.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
So basically it's between Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2, and Tekken 7.

I don't care about the story of either game, so that's not a consideration.

Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 is more execution based, but I've been told that it also has the best tutorials and practice modes in the genre.

I like the aesthetic designs of Guilty Gear more, but Tekken has a bigger roster.

Guilty Gear is cheaper, and I've been told has better online connectivity.

Tekken has that goddamn SICK slow down effect.

I'll be dropping by Gamestop on the way to the gym tomorrow night, so last day for advice. Sell me on one of these games.

K-sha

Dec 2, 2016
i enjoy ggxrdr2 more than tekken. every fighting game has a lot to learn, xrd is one of the deepest games. and will teach you tricks that will carry over to other games, like roman cancels, chain combos, motions, bursts, general 2d executions, etc. story is pbly better too, though hard to follow unless you played all the xrd and preferable xx games.
can't say i know much about tekken at all, at reasonable level, but general combos aren't that hard to pull off if you know what to do. its more about spacing and blocking high/low, countering at the right time, from my brief play of it. tekken is really foreign that theres not any other fighting games i know that really play like it. I still think doa5lr is a much better 3d fighting game, and it's free. only problem is probably trying to find players at this stage.

springheeljack

Red in Tooth and Claw
May 6, 2010
For a fighter Injustice felt actually fun and easy to play and I'm horrible at fighting games
I tried out Tekken 7 and it just frustrated me like the last Tekken game (Though I liked all the characters)

Anyway you should get Injustice at gamestop since it's been out for a while you can get it used for cheap and if you don't like it you can just return it and get something else

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Dirty Hipsters said:

Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 is more execution based, but I've been told that it also has the best tutorials and practice modes in the genre.

I like the aesthetic designs of Guilty Gear more, but Tekken has a bigger roster.

I'll be dropping by Gamestop on the way to the gym tomorrow night, so last day for advice. Sell me on one of these games.
Revelator also has the slowdown that occurs when either hit might score a kill. I believe tekken ripped it off from them since they've had it for years. Also, tekken requires execution too, just not in performing attacks but rather in mobility. You have to learn wavedashing to do anything and simply recovering from a knockdown state has like 10 different options to it.

Revelator has input demands for performing special moves but there's some chars where those are easier. For example, Jack-O has single button and direction inputs for her invincible reversal and her super is done with just a fireball input. In GG, difficulty varies greatly upon who you actually use.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Dreiko said:
Dirty Hipsters said:

Revelator also has the slowdown that occurs when either hit might score a kill. I believe tekken ripped it off from them since they've had it for years.
And SOLD.

Bought GGXrdRev2 online yesterday, should be here by tuesday.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
There's some great ones out there, but I still don't think anything has quite bettered the all-round balance & satisfaction of Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Dirty Hipsters said:
So I've suddenly got an itch to play a fighting game.

I don't usually play fighting games, I'm quite bad at them, and I don't have the patience to learn the execution based fighters. I feel like if pros who have played a game for years at the highest level can fuck up a combo and lose a match because of it, then the controls are poorly thought out.

I do really like the idea of fighting games based on the basic "rock paper scissors" timing and decision making skills as well as positioning and footsies.

So having said that, I'm looking for a game that would appeal to my fighting game sensibilities.

Game needs to be on either the PS4 or PC, and I would prefer a 4 button fighter over 6 button (mostly because I don't have a fight stick, and I feel like 4 button fighters work better on a controller).

Thanks for any suggestions.
This entire thread and not one mention of Killer fuckin Instinct?!

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Dirty Hipsters said:
Dreiko said:
Dirty Hipsters said:

Revelator also has the slowdown that occurs when either hit might score a kill. I believe tekken ripped it off from them since they've had it for years.
And SOLD.

Sweet, my psn is dreikoo, lemme know if you wanna play sometime. :D

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Dreiko said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Dreiko said:
Dirty Hipsters said:

And SOLD.

Your enthusiasm for this game is what made me decide to get it. I'll take a few weeks to practice up the basics before hitting you up though. It's been a damn long time since I seriously played a fighting game. Last time I got into a fighter was Soul Caliber 2 on the gamecube.

My competitiveness shifted to online shooters for a really long time, but I've gotten away from that again because there are no good split screen online shooters anymore.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Dirty Hipsters said:
Dreiko said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Dreiko said:
Dirty Hipsters said:

And SOLD.

Your enthusiasm for this game is what made me decide to get it. I'll take a few weeks to practice up the basics before hitting you up though. It's been a damn long time since I seriously played a fighting game. Last time I got into a fighter was Soul Caliber 2 on the gamecube.

My competitiveness shifted to online shooters for a really long time, but I've gotten away from that again because there are no good split screen online shooters anymore.
Wow, that is high praise, hope you enjoy the game as much as I do! XD