Recommend me a good fighting game

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
You could always try some of the older dynasty warriors. The first one was actually a plain old fighting game for the PSX, but then they devs decided to try and shake things up a bit by setting it on a huge battlefield with thousands of troops and dozens of officers. I'd reccomend 3 through 5. One of the things I liked about the older dynasty warriors over the new ones is that the battles are designed to be played from both sides so the battlefields are always even at the start, with similar numbers of troops and officers for each side. You could also try Warriors Orochi 3, which recieved very good reviews.

S1leNt RIP

Feb 15, 2011
I'm going to add my vote for Blazblue: CS Extend. My favorite fighting game with a lot of cool nuances to the fighting, but still not very hard. It's fast, it's smooth, it flows, there are air dashes and fun combos with a bunch of UNIQUE fighters, so there's sure to be one to catch your eye...and it's got a lengthy single player campaign that'll help you learn and experience the different characters. Also, Relius Clover is a great character from all I've played. Such a lovely villain!

Probably the "Best" fighter in my opinion is Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Max for PSP/V). Out of all the street fighters it's my favorite. Tons of characters, lots of fun, great mechanics.

Soul Calibur V for dirty casuals ( ;D )!

UMvC3 is one I've just picked up (played before) and I've had fun with it!

MacLeRoy

Jan 13, 2011
Roofstone said:
Street Fighter X Tekken I'd say is the best one, though I am a bit bias. I've always played Street Fighter games.
MY MAN!

I didnt want to be the one who said it because that game clearly appeals to street fighter fans. But he/she said it first. Sooooo

STREET FIGHTER X TEKKEN!!!!!!! I didnt say it he/she did!

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Blazblue's my personal favourite but it has such a steep learning curve. I'll second the Mortal Kombat recommendations if you just want something to play when you're in the mood, if you really want to get into playing online though you might want to check out Blazblue.

To go into more detail - Mortal Kombat has very short combos, high damage basic attacks and special moves that do a lot of damage on their own without the need to combo into them; the bread and butter combo you use all the time on my main (Tsubaki) in Blazblue is medium attack x 2, crouching med x2, heavy x2, quartercircle forwards + square, quartercircle back + square, down-down-square and it does pretty much the same damage.

ThePenguinKnight said:
I'd like to note that a lot of the fighting games currently running right now are rather imbalanced and/or lacking content such as Soul Calibur and Marvel Vs Capcom 3, I recommend against getting them.
It's worth mentioning that both of those games are pretty awesome though, specially Soul Calibur. I'd recommend picking them up used or on a sale.

MacLeRoy

Jan 13, 2011
S1leNt RIP said:
I'm going to add my vote for Blazblue: CS Extend. My favorite fighting game with a lot of cool nuances to the fighting, but still not very hard. It's fast, it's smooth, it flows, there are air dashes and fun combos with a bunch of UNIQUE fighters, so there's sure to be one to catch your eye...and it's got a lengthy single player campaign that'll help you learn and experience the different characters. Also, Relius Clover is a great character from all I've played. Such a lovely villain!

Probably the "Best" fighter in my opinion is Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Max for PSP/V). Out of all the street fighters it's my favorite. Tons of characters, lots of fun, great mechanics.

Street Fighter 3 PSP?!?! Are you aware of the thumbs harmed in the playing of that game? i.e MINE!

Also Relius Clover is a dick. Screw that energy sapping, distortion drive-face kicking asshole.

MacLeRoy

Jan 13, 2011
Pearwood said:
Blazblue's my personal favourite but it has such a steep learning curve. I'll second the Mortal Kombat recommendations if you just want something to play when you're in the mood, if you really want to get into playing online though you might want to check out Blazblue.

To go into more detail - Mortal Kombat has very short combos, high damage basic attacks and special moves that do a lot of damage on their own without the need to combo into them; the bread and butter combo you use all the time on my main in Blazblue is medium attack x 2, crouching med x2, heavy x2, quartercircle forwards + square, quartercircle back + square, down-down-square and it does pretty much the same damage.

ThePenguinKnight said:
I'd like to note that a lot of the fighting games currently running right now are rather imbalanced and/or lacking content such as Soul Calibur and Marvel Vs Capcom 3, I recommend against getting them.
It's worth mentioning that both of those games are pretty awesome though, specially Soul Calibur. I'd recommend picking them up used or on a sale.
Kinda forgot to mention who your main is, friend.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
MacLeRoy said:
Kinda forgot to mention your main, friend.
Tsubaki, I just mentioned that to prove a point. You've got characters who don't really have long combos like Hakumen and Arakune but I wouldn't exactly recommend them to someone who's new at fighting games. Tsubaki's probably the easiest to get to know.

Skylare

Dec 29, 2011
Until Playstation all star battle royale comes out gotta go with Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

MacLeRoy

Jan 13, 2011
Pearwood said:
MacLeRoy said:
Kinda forgot to mention your main, friend.
Tsubaki, I just mentioned that to prove a point. You've got characters who don't really have long combos like Hakumen and Arakune but I wouldn't exactly recommend them to someone who's new at fighting games. Tsubaki's probably the easiest to get to know.
Nice, my is gun wielding person and staff wielding person. (I didn't learn the names, sue me)

Im decent with spear wielding person(Tsubaki) and whatever with cat person.

Also I keep messing up her move where you input down, foward, down, foward and do her upper cut.

Oh and you are right about the not having long combo things, though her foward heavy attack is awesome and righteous for air combo opportunities.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Get Street Fighter 3: Online Edition. Don't question this post. Just do it.
I'm saying this as someone who started playing fighting games about six months ago, and bought this after messing with Soul Calibur and SSF4 for a while. SF3's better than anything I've ever played in the genre, and as it's a PSN title it hardly costs anything. The gameplay is flat-out incredible, the aesthetics of the game is cool, the animations are amazing and the balance is.. well, once you get into the game it's kind of dubious, but since you can parry every attack in the game if you're good enough, it comes down to skill 99% of the time.

It's a damn classic, and it holds up even today. The lack of leniency on the basic controls are arguably the only thing where the game feels kind of dated, but that's easy to overcome.

Plus, try the parry trials. There's very few things in the entire world that make you feel as badass as when you parry your first super in those trials.

Skylare

Dec 29, 2011
TIMESWORDSMAN said:
Ta hell with the PS3! Soul Caliber 2 for Game Cube. You can play as Link!

Skylare said:
Your avatar is to cute god dammit!
OT: still going with what i said earlier(Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3)

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Blazblue all the way. It has the most detailed tutorials ever and it hs a storymode which would rival a jrpg in content. It's similar to GG but simpler in many ways. Oh and if I may ask, what have you tried as far as online play in fighting games? BB has awesome netcode and very good players online so it'd be a shame to not play it.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
Pearwood said:

To go into more detail - Mortal Kombat has very short combos, high damage basic attacks and special moves that do a lot of damage on their own without the need to combo into them; the bread and butter combo you use all the time on my main (Tsubaki) in Blazblue is medium attack x 2, crouching med x2, heavy x2, quartercircle forwards + square, quartercircle back + square, down-down-square and it does pretty much the same damage.

ThePenguinKnight said:
They are good, I just wouldn't recommend them to someone who doesn't play fighting games often since they don't lend well to beginners.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Persona 4: Arena comes out in three weeks.

It will have 40 hours of story and plenty of challenges.

Arc-sys really made the control scheme simple too, so is to be easily accessible to newbies and pros alike. It will have weak and strong character attack buttons, and weak and strong Persona attack buttons. That's it. It even comes with an auto-combo button.

I would highly recommend it.

:3

mrm5561

Apr 27, 2010
mortal kombat was a great fighter as was mortal kombat verse dc. if you own a wii get super smash brothers as well. also if your into anime the dragonball z games used to be a lot of fun granted i havent played one in awhile so they might have gone down hill

Baron_Rouge

Oct 30, 2009
Wow, thank you guys for all the replies! You've been really helpful :) Sorry I've been so late getting back to everyone, but I'm in Australia so I was asleep. So far the general consensus seems to be Blazblue, so I might check that out, as it sounds like its pretty loaded with content. Also, SSF4 sounds pretty awesome, although I'm curious to see how that stacks up with SF x Tekken...would people say that SF x Tekken offers a complete experience out of the box, or would it be better to wait for them to bring out a new ultimate edition with all the dlc unlocked like with Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3?

Also, Mortal Kombat sounds like a good choice too...I had Deadly Alliance when I was younger, and while I did enjoy it, I found it rather clunky compared to the fluidity of Tekken. Also, I hated Moloch. However, the new one actually looks really good, so I might try that.

kyosai7 said:
If you want a more 3d fighter, look into the Soul Calibur games. V is the latest, but have nothing for single player, not even a survival mode.
This is actually what's prevented me from getting SCV so far, I do want at least some single player content, even if the story is laughably bad, like it generally is in fighting games.

Dreiko said:
Blazblue all the way. It has the most detailed tutorials ever and it hs a storymode which would rival a jrpg in content. It's similar to GG but simpler in many ways. Oh and if I may ask, what have you tried as far as online play in fighting games? BB has awesome netcode and very good players online so it'd be a shame to not play it.
If the tutorials are good, then I'm very interested. I don't mind complexity, so long as the game is good at training you to do complex combos and the like. And I've played a bit of SCIV, which was nigh on unplayable due to lag. However, I now have much better internet, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Fractral said:
You could always try some of the older dynasty warriors. The first one was actually a plain old fighting game for the PSX, but then they devs decided to try and shake things up a bit by setting it on a huge battlefield with thousands of troops and dozens of officers. I'd reccomend 3 through 5. One of the things I liked about the older dynasty warriors over the new ones is that the battles are designed to be played from both sides so the battlefields are always even at the start, with similar numbers of troops and officers for each side. You could also try Warriors Orochi 3, which recieved very good reviews.
I am actually a massive Dynasty Warriors fan, and I'm really looking forward to picking up Warriors Orochi 3 when I get the chance. I was thinking more along the lines of modern 1-on-1 (or tag based, whatever) fighters, though thanks anyway :)

So, thanks everyone once again for your contributions, they've been massively helpful! I'm trying to decide between Mortal Kombat, SF4:AE/SFxTekken, and Blazblue. I guess my only question now is, if I went with Street Fighter, how does SFxTekken stack up against SF4:AE?

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Baron_Rouge said:
If the tutorials are good, then I'm very interested. I don't mind complexity, so long as the game is good at training you to do complex combos and the like. And I've played a bit of SCIV, which was nigh on unplayable due to lag. However, I now have much better internet, so it shouldn't be a problem.

There's challenge mode which starts you off by asking you to do moves and slowly builds into huge 50% HP combos. It teaches you more importantly actually APPLICABLE combos, rather than fancy ones which nobody would ever get a chance to apply in a real match.

The tutorials are not that though, they teach things from how to walk and jump to anti-airs and all the unique systems of BB such as bursting or barrier guarding.

You said you're in Australia which would explain your lag, sadly, playing with the rest of the world will be trouble...but the game is still worth it even if you just do local play.

Oh and for some shameless self-plugging, here's some matches of an online tournament of BB which took place about half a year ago, it even has an announcer.

My matches start around 8:00, watch it and see if it's what you'd like. :D

S1leNt RIP

Feb 15, 2011
MacLeRoy said:
S1leNt RIP said:

Street Fighter 3 PSP?!?! Are you aware of the thumbs harmed in the playing of that game? i.e MINE!

Also Relius Clover is a dick. Screw that energy sapping, distortion drive-face kicking asshole.
I developed calluses! :3

Relius is more man than you or I will ever be! And likely more dick too.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
My favorite is Soul Calibur. The last one I played was SCIV and I wasn't crazy about it. If your PS3 can play Soul Calibur 2 from the PS2, then you're set though.