Recommend me a good PC RPG that's not top down

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
feather240 said:
mrwoo6 said:
Obliven or morrowind if your PC can run that.
...or Nehrim if you have Oblivion.
Just checked out Nehrim, looks amazing, shame its all in german, but I watch anime so reading subs is nothing new, kudos for mentioning it and now to lose a few weeks of my life as I fire up Oblivion once again.

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
Taxman1 said:
Hmm...Do you think CoD2 would run? I don't mind a little lag only if it's huge and unplayable.
Can't say. Didn't run for me, but then I didn't have a fancy pancy dedicated video card, lol. But if you can run KOTOR (which I couldn't), you could give COD2 a try.

(Aside: I bought a used ATI 9800 from a friend but then I realized the 'AGP slot' on my motherboard wasn't an actual AGP slot. Oh god, the heartbreak.)

Running Morrowind with 8-12 FPS was tolerable though, the game was that good.

Taxman1

Sep 14, 2009
Spectrum_Prez said:
Taxman1 said:
Hmm...Do you think CoD2 would run? I don't mind a little lag only if it's huge and unplayable.
Can't say. Didn't run for me, but then I didn't have a fancy pancy dedicated video card, lol. But if you can run KOTOR (which I couldn't), you could give COD2 a try.

(Aside: I bought a used ATI 9800 from a friend but then I realized the 'AGP slot' on my motherboard wasn't an actual AGP slot. Oh god, the heartbreak.)

Running Morrowind with 8-12 FPS was tolerable though, the game was that good.
Alright if you think so, time to grab out Morrowind again.

s0m3th1ng

Aug 29, 2010
Taxman1 said:
Seems like everyone is narrowed down to most of the RPGs, anyone know of some realistic shooters? I'm a huge sucker for those.
Red Orchestra and it's mod "darkest days", WW2. Most realistic shooter I've ever played.
RO is russion versus germans
Darkest Days is Americans/allies versus germans.
Depending on where you live it might be difficult to find a good server though, the recoil in the game is weird, and it's damned hard to hit anything.

Runs on the original Unreal engine, so your computer may be able to handle it...some gigantic maps though.

Taxman1

Sep 14, 2009
s0m3th1ng said:
Taxman1 said:
Seems like everyone is narrowed down to most of the RPGs, anyone know of some realistic shooters? I'm a huge sucker for those.
Red Orchestra and it's mod "darkest days", WW2. Most realistic shooter I've ever played.
RO is russion versus germans
Darkest Days is Americans/allies versus germans.
Depending on where you live it might be difficult to find a good server though, the recoil in the game is weird, and it's damned hard to hit anything.

Runs on the original Unreal engine, so your computer may be able to handle it...some gigantic maps though.
Yea I have it, throws my computer around a bit but it can run it. Hard to find a server though.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
elvor0 said:
feather240 said:
mrwoo6 said:
Obliven or morrowind if your PC can run that.
...or Nehrim if you have Oblivion.
Just checked out Nehrim, looks amazing, shame its all in german, but I watch anime so reading subs is nothing new, kudos for mentioning it and now to lose a few weeks of my life as I fire up Oblivion once again.
Grab fate by its throat. :p

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Well...I just started playing Earthbound today. That's a good one. Of course, I have to use an emulator for it.

_Cake_

Apr 5, 2009
lacktheknack said:
fleacythesheep said:
Dragon Age just use the close up angle, its better in my opinion.
You think that will run on his specs? That's cute.

OT: Geneforge and Avernum. Both pulished by Spiderweb Software, have freaking massive demos, and almost no one has heard of them.

Plus, creating you own mini army of telepathic squid is awesome (Geneforge).
I didn't look at his "specs". You know what isn't cute, being a rude and condescending nag.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Taxman1 said:
The Great Snip strikes again
Before I make my recommendation - and people who know me will know what this'll be - I have one important question to ask you.

Do you like strategy games? RTS games, specifically.

MrShowerHead

Jun 28, 2010
Nethack, if you don't mind the graphics.
Just started playing today and having fun.
If I would just find out how to use those damn stairs.......

Seriously, does anyone here know how to get to the next dungeon? I feel so stupid right now.....

EDIT: Okay I figured it out. Then I somehow killed myself by kicking a wall....Nice

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
ElectroJosh said:
Try Betrayal at Krondor - if you don't mind VGA graphics it runs well on Dosbox (and I believe is official abandonware so you aren't breaking any piracy laws downloading it). Very good plot and quite immersive.
Just so you know... there is no such thing as Abandonware.
Unless it becomes 'public domain' a product is never abandoned, and it's always illegal to pirate. Just an FYI.

Taxman1

Sep 14, 2009
OhJohnNo said:
Taxman1 said:
Before I make my recommendation - and people who know me will know what this'll be - I have one important question to ask you.

I wouldn't mind RTS games at all. Though there's only a few that I know of that I can call fun.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Taxman1 said:
OhJohnNo said:
Taxman1 said:

I wouldn't mind RTS games at all. Though there's only a few that I know of that I can call fun.
Well then.

It's from 1999, so it'll run on your PC - it certainly runs on mine, and let me tell you, mine is so shitty that I'm pretty sure it would catch fire and explode if I tried to feed it a game made recently.

If you'll pardon me being a gushing fanboy, I have a big wall of reasons at the ready as to why you should get it (and a little advice contained within said wall, too).

I'll split it into separate spoiler tags to prevent it from being daunting. A tl;dr is at the bottom.

The game takes place in full 3D. What's surprising about this is that it's all implemented rather simply - you press M to move your units, and hold down the SHIFT key to move them upwards or downwards (the tutorial is quick to teach you about this). Once you get used to it (which doesn't take too long) it becomes second nature, almost. You have incentive to do it, too - all capital ships have weaker armour on the top, bottom, and rear sides.

Combat is also handled fluidly - there's a Group Attack feature, where you can hold down CTRL and drag a selection box around your enemies. Your units will promptly go and attack the whole group - I found this so useful, I couldn't remember how I'd ever done without it when I went back to Age of Empires II. There's another cool functionality with the group function (as in, assigning units to groups with CTRL+) - unlike most RTS games, Fleet Command - a voice which provides you with updates on the battle and such - will recognise the groups; so when you assign some units to, say, Group 1, Fleet Command will say "Group 1 assigned", and continue to provide status updates ("Group 1 is under attack", "Group 1 reports victory" etc). What's even more useful is that you can set groups within groups - i.e you can assign your fighters to group 1, your Corvettes to group 2 and your capital ships to group 3, then select all of them and assign them to group 10 (CTRL+0) without it erasing the individual groupings. What this does is removes the irritation from the classic micromanagement of RTS games, making it easier to organise your units - and it doesn't remove any of the challenge.

When it comes to the long game (is Meta the word?) Homeworld's campaign has a gameplay attribute you have to get used to - a persistent fleet. This means that units you build/capture on one level carry over directly to the next. It also means you have to be really careful - winning a mission with only 1 ship and no resources left isn't going to cut it for the next mission, so you have to not only win, but win well to effectively progress. You have to be careful to conserve your units and not throw them away like Zergs, because each mission only has limited harvestable resources with which to rebuild - and you have to, at the end of each level, think carefully about which ships to construct. You don't know what you're going to encounter on the next mission, and you have to be prepared for everything. It's this, above all, which makes the game so very difficult - I've heard horror stories of people who've ragequit because they went and acted stupid by not saving very often and throwing away most of their ships on a particularly hard mission.

Homeworld's story is simple, in itself, but at the same time it's what an RTS needs from a story. There are no real characters (though there are named voices), no McGuffins - the story focuses on your people and their plight as a whole, to get Home. Hence the title. Still, I'd say the roughly average story is far eclipsed by the way it's told - there's emotion and atmosphere in droves, and you really are emotionally invested in the civilisation you carry between the stars.

Being 11 years old, you'd expect the graphics in this game to look absolutely goddamn awful, comparatively to today's games.

... They're not. The graphics technically aren't that good, and if you zoom in close enough and are on a low enough setting you can play "Let's count the pixels!" to pass the time... but Homeworld is beautiful. Really, really beautiful - from about the 4th mission onwards (out of 16). Never before has space been such a scenic place.

The music is haunting, atmospheric, and absolutely brilliant. It's my personal favourite game soundtrack, because it really fits the game - you really do get the feeling that Space is really, really goddamn huge from some of the pieces, and the battle music is catchy and very cool.

So, there you have it - why Homeworld is awesome. If the difficulty daunts you, you can find walkthroughs scattered about the intarwebz (particularly on Gamespot's "hints and cheats" section, as well as their official walkthrough). I also feel as if I should warn you - I have a friend who got Homeworld to run on his magnificent and wondrous gaming rig, but he had to change it to window mode as it tried to double the framerate when it was fullscreen - which resulted in it running at a reality-bending 2 frames per frame.

The game costs like £5 (5 pounds; not sure what's wrong with the symbol) from Amazon (not sure what that is in fake money dollars) so really, there's no reason why you shouldn't at least try it. :)

Tl;dr: Nice 3D gameplay as well as other neat innovations in the gameplay area, a well-told (if simple) story, graphics that hold up great despite being old and some very good music all make for a game that's well worth the 5 quid it costs to purchase it from Amazon.

sanguinator

Aug 23, 2010
baldurs gate, morrowind,oblivion (maybe you can lower the settings of it),dragon age origins (maybe lower settings),diablo.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Taxman1 said:
OhJohnNo said:
Sounds like a great underrated game. I've seen it before but never picked it up.
Huh, when did you see it? I'd be extremely surprised if it's still in stores now. It sold well for its time apparently, but it's 12 years old now and nobody remembers it for some odd reason... *stares witheringly at Starcraft, which came out around the same time*

(I'm sure Starcraft's a perfectly good game, but still... Homeworld's my favourite game.)

Few people love it as much as I do, but most of the people who've tried it and have an attention span of some sort enjoy it. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you get it. :)

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
ElectroJosh said:
Try Betrayal at Krondor - if you don't mind VGA graphics it runs well on Dosbox (and I believe is official abandonware so you aren't breaking any piracy laws downloading it). Very good plot and quite immersive.
I concur with this. BaK was an amazing game, one of my favorites (if not THE favorite) of it's time. I played it again recently and while it's ugly (like really ugly), it's still quite fun.