Recommend me a good PS2 game

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
Title says it all. I've been on a bit of a PS2 binge at the moment, going through all my old titles and, as you might expect, absolutely loving them. However, I realise that there was a whole slew of other games for the system that I never played or even payed that much attention to. So, what I'd like you do to is recommend me a game for the PS2 that you really like and think I should have a go at.

For the record, there are the PS2 games I've either already played or still own to this day:
Crazy Taxi
Silent Hill2
Final Fantasy 10, 10-2 and 13
Shadow of the Colossus
Ico
The Jak and Daxter Trilogy
The Ratchet and Clank Trilogy
Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3

But apart from those games, recommend away.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Here're a few going by your list: Beyond Good & Evil, Okami, Psychonauts, Kingdom Hearts, Silent Hill 3 and Resident Evil 4.

R.K. Meades

Oct 1, 2014
Odin Sphere is definitely worth a shot, especially if you are already a fan of Vanillaware's work.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Onimusha 2

An oft forgotten, but highly entertaining hack 'n slasher. That is if you don't mind Resi styled prerendered backgrounds and screen transitions. Not as fast paced as the more modern in the genre, but just as Resident Evil had that beefy gun action, Onimusha has nice hefty swordplay that you don't really find in games like Devil May Cry, Revengeance, and Bayonetta. You can also try out the first in the series, but it's extremely short and has one blisteringly hard, timed puzzle segment. Avoid the third one completely though.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
4chan /v/'s recommended games wiki would be a great place to start.

http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/PlayStation_2

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Wild arms 3. Ino the best of the series. No need to have played the previous 2.

SMT: NOCTURNE. One of my favorite ps2 games. Challenging gameplay, dark atmosphere, interesting plot.

SMT: DIGITAL DEVIL SAGA 1 AND 2. even darker atnosphere .

Persona 4.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
There is loads but Okami is missing from that list so get that play and enjoy. I was playing it on PS2 a few weeks ago it still looks and plays incredible.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Valkyrie Profile 2 is pretty good. There's even this weird co-op style gameplay in the middle of battles.

Dark Cloud 1 and 2 are interesting games as well. Half RPG/Half Town builder. The first game is a little clunky though.

Dark Alliance 1 and 2 are incredibly fun dungeon RPGs in a sort of Diablo 2 style.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
God of War 1 and 2
Twisted Metal Black (unless you don't like dark/disturbing stories)
Burnout 3
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 and 4 (those aren't the only good ones, they're just the best ones)
Timesplitters series (people say the second is the best but I think the 3rd is better, they're both great though)
If you've nevre played a Katamari game I recommend picking one up (I'd actually recommend the next gen ones more but if those aren't an option the first two were PS2 games)

And there's this one more obscure game I really liked call Pirates: The Legend of Black Kat

AgedGrunt

Dec 7, 2011
Dynasty Warriors 4
Red Faction
Medal of Honor: Frontline
SOCOM II: US Navy Seals
Way of the Samurai

They weren't my thing, but Devil May Cry series looked pretty good in its day, if you're into that sort of thing.

GhostHunter

Jan 24, 2015
.hack\ GU trilogy. if you can find them. its a action rpg in a simulated MMORPG (Sword Art Online's predecessor basically). it has a really cool weapon change system mid combat that let you change strategies on the fly.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
In order of preference with 1 being the best

1) Wild Arms 3
2) Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2
3) Devil May Cry 1 & 3
4) Front Mission 4
5) Breath of Fire 3 (PS1 but still good and PS2s can play it)

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
The PS2 Ace Combat games (4/5/0) are good ones if you want fun stories and don't mind being a pilot.

There's also The Bard's Tale, which is a hilarious RPG that takes the piss out of the genre.

layne

Jun 14, 2013
There's Silent Hill 3 and 4 if you're looking for more survival horror. I would also recommend Persona 3 if you haven't played it already. It's a really great game - the story, the gameplay, the music, etc. As well, maybe Dirge of Cerberus. I recently picked it up because of another thread where a couple people recommended it, but haven't played it yet. It's more Final Fantasy 7 world and characters, I suppose, (if you liked Final Fantasy 7) which is cool.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
God of War
Does anything need to be said about this game? Slightly dated combat now, but overall an epic experience and superb game.

The Warriors
My fave BEU of all time. It also includes a lot of other elements, but at it's core it's a great BEU and Rockstar really, REALLY manage to nail the film's whole vibe FANTASTICALLY. Only the final 1/4 of the game is related to the film, the rest takes place beforehand, and that insight into the Warriors history is both superbly executed, and fits great with the actual film events too. Simply quality.

Summoner 2
A classic. Takes a bit of time to get into, but the world, characters and story are some of the most unique created. The quests are also crafted brilliantly as well, with side quests really feeling part of the story and expanding you're feel of the world. For me it's one of the greatest action RPG's ever. Dated now, but still extremely enjoyable.

Okami
Another classic. Wonderfully good fun and a fresh spin on Zelda-esq RPGs. I'm sure many others will tell you about the details :)

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Hulk Ultimate Destruction

Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance

Tenchu Wrath of Heaven if you like stealth

PSI-Ops

Second Sight

Resident Evil Code Veronica X

To name a few.