Recommend me a good TURN-BASED RPG

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Sleekit said:
ahem

if you haven't played it yet....Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King is one of the finest ever made (and somewhat criminally overlooked on PS2 in favour of the Final Fantasys etc).

it has a beautiful pastoral cell shaded art style that doesn't really date and character designs by Akira Toriyama, the fully orchestral Koichi Sugiyama score is...just bliss...seriously the music is gorgeous...it's "fully voiced" & "open world"...the characters are great...it has sub games, mini games, after game...

seriously this game is like everything i wanted "16 bit RPGs" to be when they became 3D...

play it naow :p

...or failing that beg Square-Enix for the Android/iOS version that just came out to be launched outside Japan...
Yep I energically endorse Dragon Quest VIII. Some people I've heard they complain it's "too long" but personally I loved every minute of it and was sad when it had to end at some point. Love the cel shading, the quiet epic music, the story's pretty straightforward and has that LET'S GO ON AN ADVENTURE spirit which I love so much. Haven't played that many turn-based games so I don't know how it compares to say latter FF games.

syaoran728

Aug 4, 2010
I'd recommend Super Robot Wars OG 1 and 2 for the GBA. They're fun tactical rpgs with mecha. Also if you do check them out, start the game as Kyousuke, his mech and story are way better than Ryusei.

Knife

Mar 20, 2011
I would recommend Shadowrun Returns. It's cyberpunk meets fantasy - magic, machine guns and hacking. It has its weak points like the campaign being very linear and the save system only allows autosaves at the start of the level. But the RPG elements are pretty good with a wide range for possible characters and a good detective story. It's isometric and has turn-based combat.

If you plan on giving it a try, here are a few minor spoilers on character skills without going into the story
Shotgun skill is important
Decking unfortunately not as important
If you have a mage or a shaman, healing spells are handy
As far as etiquettes go - security and corporate are the most useful, shadowrunner and street also useful, the rest not so much

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Bara_no_Hime said:
otakon17 said:
The hell is this garbage? Grandia 1 is fantastic, with memorable characters and a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE world to explore. Grandia 3 and 2 aren't related in any way beyond combat system and callback items/spells like the Final Fantasy series does. Not only that, I feel that Grandia 3 tries to hard to emulate the original and dare I say it, up beat adventure that was Grandia. It truly was a wonder, it just felt so genuine that you were going on this grand quest with this kid, discovering the world with your friends. And oh, that ending. I'd say the only thing that's wrong with the game is that the storyline doesn't really focus until the second disc, but then it kind of becomes the typical "save the world" plot. And the last boss is a chump since the combat system is so fun and the ambush music SO GOOD you'll probably let yourself get ambushed by guys just to hear it(even if you completely outclass them). Fantastic characters, fantastic combat system, absolute classic of RPGs.
RandV80 said:
Grandia 1 was a great game, unless you have a problem with childish appearing characters right off the bat, but they grow on you.

You like Grandia 1? Fine. To each their own.

I did not. I found it to be easily the worst of the series (aside from Grandia X, its direct sequel).

For me, the characters were not memorable - they were cookie cutter. The world felt silly and small. The characters did not "grow" - I wish they did, as it might have made things tolerable. I kept playing and playing that game, hoping it was going to get better, until I realized I was near the end and it still hadn't.

But that's my opinion. You found it charming rather than silly and pointless? Fine. I do not wish to step on your nostalgia.

However, I will not recommend a game I didn't like.
This isn't nostalgia talking. I actually put the game down mid way through my playthrough and didn't have a chance to pick it back up until 10 years later. And it was just as enjoyable then as it was the first time I put it in. How someone can forget the absolute loyalty of Sue, Justin's sheer spunk and spirit and Feena's pluck is beyond me. And the world was silly? It's a semi fantasy RPG, of COURSE it was "silly", all of that was used to instill that you were exploring this unknown never before seen land. Something alien and new and wonderful. No, you're right there wasn't a huge amount of character growth in the game, and that's okay sometimes. Also I noticed that you didn't even mention the combat, which is what EVERYONE remembers about this game.

But you're right, to each their own. But I'd rather enjoy something "silly" than deal with what counts for an RPG nowadays, nothing but dour and seriousness.

Which you've reminded me, another suggestion to the TC for an RPG: Ni No Kuni, absolutely gorgeous game both visually and audibly. The combat has a learning curve to it though, so it might not exactly be your cup of tea but the game has that special sort of charm to it that helps smooth over that lump.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
How about Crusader Kings II, no no hold on bear with me here. I know it is primarily a turn based strategy game but you can role play as your character. It can be a lot of fun.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Neronium said:
Time for me to recommend one of the best turn-based JRPGs of all time.
It was on a console ahead of it's time, but was sadly cut short. The game was later improved and later ported over to the Nintendo GameCube.
Ladies and gentleman, the one, the only:

A wonderful story, varied worlds, great characters, and fun gameplay. This game was released in a time in which Final Fantasy still dominated, but this gem managed to score near-perfect to perfect scores across the board!
I remember loving that game (despite the impractical way the lead protagonist holds his sword) back in the day. I hated ship combat though. I got up to a part where I had to fight this giant stone boss or something, in my ship, and just got frustrated and quit. I don't remember it that well but I was around 15 at the time and relatively new to RPGs, so it was probably a really simple boss and I was just too stupid to figure it out

mhb77

Jun 17, 2013
The Etrian Odyssey games are really great, but not very plot heavy which may be a plus or minus depending on your point of view. SMT IV is really good as well. The Dragon Quest games are always a good bet.

I also second Synobal's recommendation for Crusader Kings II. It's totally not the kind of game you are asking for, but it is brilliant and everyone should play it (plus it will probably be on Steam sale at some point).

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Sleekit said:
ahem

if you haven't played it yet....Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King is one of the finest ever made (and somewhat criminally overlooked on PS2 in favour of the Final Fantasys etc).

it has a beautiful pastoral cell shaded art style that doesn't really date and character designs by Akira Toriyama, the fully orchestral Koichi Sugiyama score is...just bliss...seriously the music is gorgeous...it's "fully voiced" & "open world"...the characters are great...it has sub games, mini games, after game...

seriously this game is like everything i wanted "16 bit RPGs" to be when they became 3D...

play it naow :p

...or failing that beg Square-Enix for the Android/iOS version that just came out to be launched outside Japan...
Visually, I loved that game. A game that old had no right to look as beautiful as it did. Unfortunately, the game play just kind of burned me out. I got sick of grinding levels for hours so I could fight a boss, then moving to the next area so I could do the same thing again. I know that's just kind of par for the course with JRPGs, but usually the story grips me enough to keep me going. This one did not and I gave up once I discovered that after playing constantly for weeks or maybe months, I wasn't even halfway through the game. It's worth noting, however, that I have never finished a Dragon Quest game so this probably just isn't the series for me

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
Saltyk said:
Well, people already recommended several that I would have suggested. So, I'll suggest the Suikoden series. I know you can get Suikoden via PSN as a PS1 Classic. Sadly, last I checked Suikoden 2 is not available. And that one goes for like $200 anytime I check.

Those two are great games, and Suikoden 2 is probably among the best games of the PS1. And loading data from the original, will grant you bonuses to returning characters, such as boosts to levels, weapons, and even equipment will carry over in some cases. Plus, you can get the original's hero to act as a party member giving you access to his True Rune and a powerful Combination with the Suikoden 2 hero.

Suikoden 3 isn't as good as 2, but still pretty good. I can't recommend 4, but I've heard 5 is good.
I heartily second these recommendations. The Suikoden games are amazing if you like that turn based JRPG style play, there are lots of side quests and things to explore and the stories are really good too. 1 is a classic, 2 is one of my all-time top 10 games, 4 is fairly crap but 3 and 5 are both cracking.

To go in another direction, Temple of Elemental Evil is amazing if you like D&D. It has GREAT tactical gameplay. It sort of reminds me of the Icewind Dale games - the story's not that great but the combat is fantastic fun.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
otakon17 said:
How someone can forget the absolute loyalty of Sue, Justin's sheer spunk and spirit and Feena's pluck is beyond me.
Sue was the only worthwhile character and she leaves the party.

Also, spunk and pluck are synonyms.

otakon17 said:
And the world was silly? It's a semi fantasy RPG, of COURSE it was "silly",
What I personally remember was a random, unskilled 14 year old with a trash-can lid for a shield discovering something that a massive man-hunt by a powerful corporation failed to discover.

Grandia 1 repeatedly broke my suspension of disbelief. I don't mind child-like wonder now and then, but Grandia 1 kept trying to crank it up to 11 and just broke the whole thing for me.

otakon17 said:
Also I noticed that you didn't even mention the combat, which is what EVERYONE remembers about this game.
That Grandia 1 had a good combat system? Sure. The same excellent combat system that is used in Grandia 2 and Grandia 3.

If you want to talk about fantastic characters and great stories and a fantastic combat system, Grandia 2 is the game. I enjoyed Grandia 3, but Grandia 2 is the best in the series as far as I'm concerned.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Bara_no_Hime said:

You like Grandia 1? Fine. To each their own.

I did not. I found it to be easily the worst of the series (aside from Grandia X, its direct sequel).

For me, the characters were not memorable - they were cookie cutter. The world felt silly and small. The characters did not "grow" - I wish they did, as it might have made things tolerable. I kept playing and playing that game, hoping it was going to get better, until I realized I was near the end and it still hadn't.

But that's my opinion. You found it charming rather than silly and pointless? Fine. I do not wish to step on your nostalgia.

However, I will not recommend a game I didn't like.
It's not that you didn't like it so you didn't give it a recomendation that I was replying to, but rather you gave a heavy recommendation against it. As if the game was like Suikoden IV or Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest or something. Typically I don't care for a meta critic rating, but applied to a series it can suggest a certain level of quality:

Grandia(PS) - 89
Grandia II (DC) - 90
Grandia III (PS2) - 77
Grandia Extreme (PS2) - 68

And for some reason the Grandia II ports for PS2 and PC got lower ratings, but I'll just ignore that. Personally I liked 1 better than two, mainly because it felt much bigger as you traversed 4 continents and your party members got swapped out multiple times. Grandia II on the other hand felt more polished but much more trimmed down, you're party stayed the same throughout the game and there was no 'globe trotting' from the first one. Although I have to admit, I replayed Grandia on my PSP last year, and the battle system didn't hold up for me. I'm simply too good at these things now, I systematically broke the system and breezed my way through the game without any challenge.

And to keep the recommendations coming I don't think the Lunar series has been mentioned... which I'm pretty sure Grandia was the successor too. Also going back to Steam, for PC strategy games maybe try the demo for one of the Kings Bounty games. It takes major inspiration from the Heroes of Might and Magic games, except converts them into one big single character RPG quest.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
The TS must play some Tactics Ogre, if he hasn't already.
The best turn-based games allow for movement on a board, so SRPGs is where it's at for turn-based RPGs.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
You say just about every SNES era JRPG, but if you didn't list Mario RPG. If you haven't played that, check it out. It's super good.
Additionally, many Japanese RPGs that didn't get english releases have fan translations online, so you can get Fire Emblem 6 and Mother 3. Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War is supposed to be super good, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Aaron Beckmann

Dec 8, 2014
I noticed that no one has mentioned it, or i haven't looked hard enough to notice, however i found that one of my favorite RPGs ever, though its old, i figure i should mention it since you can do emulators.

Shining Force, For the Sega Genesis. The series isn't bad though i definitely recommend the first about all else. They have the same class system as fire emblem where you can upgrade to a stronger class and overall has a great story with awesome characters, and some characters that can only be found by special means.

Another game that i really enjoy that i find very similar to Shining Force and other good RPGs is Eternal Eyes for the original Play Station. Definitely worth it in my opinion its a lot of fun.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
MeatMachine said:
Like I said, I need a good TURN-BASED RPG to keep me busy. I already have:

-Damn near everything from the Super Nintendo era (Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, etc)
-Hero Academy, all races
-Every Pokemon game
-All the Fallout games, including Tactics, 3 and New Vegas
-Every Final Fantasy that I care about (Dimensions, Tactics, 1-6)
-Every English-version of Fire Emblem
-Penny Arcade's Rainslick Precipice of Darkness 3/4
-Cthulhu Saves the World & Breath of Death VII
-Even C. Kane, a shitty little demo-length RPG on Andriod

...but I'm craving more. I don't want to delve into the mess that is the overinflated Kemka Games for mobile devices; they are poorly controlled and way too cookiecutter. Surely, though, there are other gems that I haven't discovered yet? Whatever system they are on, it doesn't matter, though I'd really like to know about great games for Steam and Android specifically
GOLDEN. SUN.

There, that's all you need. Thread over.

Also strongly recommend Bravely Default and Valkyria Chronicles.

Baddamobs

Aug 21, 2013
Any Valkyria Chronicles are good choices, even if the writing isn't SUPER good at every second: the characters really make up for a lot of short comings, and the game play is pretty damn good.

Baddamobs

Aug 21, 2013
renegade7 said:
MeatMachine said:
Like I said, I need a good TURN-BASED RPG to keep me busy. I already have:

-Damn near everything from the Super Nintendo era (Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, etc)
-Hero Academy, all races
-Every Pokemon game
-All the Fallout games, including Tactics, 3 and New Vegas
-Every Final Fantasy that I care about (Dimensions, Tactics, 1-6)
-Every English-version of Fire Emblem
-Penny Arcade's Rainslick Precipice of Darkness 3/4
-Cthulhu Saves the World & Breath of Death VII
-Even C. Kane, a shitty little demo-length RPG on Andriod

...but I'm craving more. I don't want to delve into the mess that is the overinflated Kemka Games for mobile devices; they are poorly controlled and way too cookiecutter. Surely, though, there are other gems that I haven't discovered yet? Whatever system they are on, it doesn't matter, though I'd really like to know about great games for Steam and Android specifically
GOLDEN. SUN.

There, that's all you need. Thread over.

Also strongly recommend Bravely Default and Valkyria Chronicles.
^ 'Dis poster? 'Dis poster knows what's up!!

I had completely forgot about Golden Sun! Get that if you're up for some really old-school shizz!