Recommend me an anime(that isn't about kids in high school.)

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I recommend a couple of my favorites: Gundam 00 and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Yuusha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shuushoku wo Ketsui Shimashita - often just called Yuushibu or a variation on that - is basically about a Dungeons and Dragons setting where adventurers are no longer needed, so our (literal)hero gets a job as a store clerk. Oh yeah and magic items are basically technology, but with some twists. Also he gets a new co-worker who livens things up considerably.
It's kind of an ecchi show, but I do like it beyond that (a lot of that is probably said new co-worker being a helluva scene-stealer).

Outbreak Company - Generic shonen otaku protag is recruited by some sort of company to help...spread japanese/otaku culture to a fantasy kingdom that they made contact with via a portal. He goes all-out in trying to do so, although the clash in cultures is kind of odd to him. Hilarity ensues.

Birdy the Mighty - Genetically modified intergalactic cop accidentally kills a teenager during a battle with a dangerous culprit during an investigation, but manages to (somehow, it's not really explained) transfer his consciousness into her body until he can get a new one (yay alien technology), and while they wait, they have to find a space-WMD.

Higurashi no naku koro ni - It starts out a bit like the sort of stuff you're looking to avoid (i.e., school drama, shonen plot, harem plot), then it quickly takes an odd path and ends up deserving its classification as mystery and horror.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
Trigun and Samurai Champloo also aired on adult swim. have you seen them? theyre same length as Cowboy Bebop, and are both very good.

and ive heard Attack on Titan is incredible, but im waiting for an english dub before i start watching.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Spice and Wolf. A romance anime starring a medieval merchasnt and a centuries-old wolf goddess. They fight crime play the system to their advantage in ingenious ways.

Coppelion is an anime series about 3 girls exploring an abandoned, highly radioactive city.

Aoki Hagane Arpeggio is mostly about naval battles, with some politics mixed in. It's made with 3D CG though so the character models are a bit off at times. The batleships and submarines look awesome though.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Detroit Metal City is about a comedy about a metal band in Tokyo. All of them have graduated University (well out of high school).

It's quite silly and really funny IMO.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Yopaz said:
Elfgore said:
NHK ni Youkoso! (comedy, drama)
I can never recommend this one before someone else do. However, this anime is amazing. I am currently rewatching it and I still find it amazing.The comedy is pretty dark and at times you're not sure if you should laugh or cry. It's 25 episodes so it's not very long.
Sadly, I only watched this so I had background noise while playing some PC game and it was on netflix at the time. But even still, I really enjoyed it. I need to sit down and watch it again and take it all in. They really aced the romance too by taking their time with it and not shoving it in our faces.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Scrapped Princess
Mawaru Penguindrum
Steins;Gate
Eureka Seven

Saika Renegade

Nov 18, 2009
Super Robot Wars Original Generation: The Inspector.

It's based on video games, sure, and it likes to tie back to several of the more iconic moments of said games, but it stands fairly well on its own. You don't necessarily need to have experienced OG or OG2 to enjoy this particular series. So far, it's only available in dubs so far as I'm aware. Plus, hey, if giant robots are your thing, they manage to keep it lively without getting repetitive.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
marche45 said:
Basically the title,and yes that also excludes anime with high-school esque academy settings(like Infinite stratos.)
Way to go cut down possible recommendations, man! =P That's like... 90% of all anime ever... including the good ones!

All kidding aside (along with all previous mentioned recommendations):

Maoyū Maō Yūsha - a study of politics and economics in a mid-fantasy world (humans/daemons etc.), a little weird insomuch that none of the characters have names, only labels.

Gankutsuou - imagine what the Count of Monte Cristo would've been like if Dumas had written it while taking LSD.

Zetsuen no Tempest - has a central cast of four highschool aged kids, but that's barely the point. Think Shakespeare's Hamlet & the Tempest mashed rather crudely together in anime form (with outright references as well).

Moyashimon (two seasons so far) - it's set at an agricultural uni, but it's quaint for anthropomorphising microorganisms and providing microbiology 101 lessons-lite.

Mari & Gali - following on from the above, maths & physics 101 in loads of 5min bite-sized eps with brilliant caricatures of famous figures from the history of science.

Last Exile - one of the best steampunk series I've seen, though the graphics have aged, uh... very... very badly.

Haibane Renmei - ... ... ... uh, yeah...

However, for a highschool series, I will recommend Seitokai Yakuindomo and screw the caveat you've placed, because this series is so utterly inveterate and irreverent that it's perfect for anyone who hates the highschool trope.

Of other series recommended in previous comments, I'd definitely second Psycho:pASS (society without crime, at what price), GitS:SAC (no explanation required... probably) and Jormungand (arms dealer with an unexpected agenda).

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
I give this the necessary preface of--I'm old, my recommendations tend to be old-school.

Outlaw Star
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Utawarerumono
You're Under Arrest!
Tsukigage Ran: Carried by the Wind
Record of Lodoss Wars
Lupin the 3rd
movies > TV series
City Hunter movies > TV series
Mermaid Forest
The Big O
Hyper Police
Slayers
Bubblegum Crisis OAV's
AD Police Files
Sol Bianca

Hmm, that's a shorter list than I thought it would be....

Mr.Savage

Apr 18, 2013
All of my 'go-to' recommendations have already been said, so I'll just reaffirm their awesomeness.

Black Lagoon, a seriously fun anime full of action, but can get very dark and deep. English dub was also done extremely well.

Here's the first episode, for your convenience. :)

Spice & Wolf, extremely unique, haven't seen anything like it before or since (And that isn't from a lack of trying). Somewhat slow paced, but when shit does hit the fan, it's flipping intense. As with Lagoon, the English dub is superb.

Last Exile, Haven't seen anything past the first episode, but it looks to be damn good. English dub is a bit...Meh. I'd probably do subbed for this one.

Zak757

Oct 12, 2013
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Episode 01 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z_gYTXzM9k&list=ELodfehz4fB38]

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is about elite cyborg police officers fighting cybercrime in Japan in 2030. By "cybercrime", I mean brain hacking and other crimes that could occur in a world in which humanity itself has been converted into data. Damn good show, and all 26 episodes can be watched legally on Youtube. Check it out.

Also, Black Lagoon. Alternatively titled "John Woo and Quentin Tarantino Make An Anime" or "BITCHES BE CRAZY."

saintdane05 said:
Madoka Magica is about kids in MIDDLE SCHOOL!
Big difference!
That's hardly what Madoka Magica is about.

Mrkillhappy

Sep 18, 2012
Can't think of many good one's that I have seen that weren't on Adult Swim but the few I can think of are
Attack on Titan
Welcome to the NHK
Gurren Lagann
Trigun

INF1NIT3 D00M

Aug 14, 2008
It took me way too long to think of one, I just sat there like:

I guess you could try Hetalia, Trigun, maybe RIN:Daughters of Mnemosyne.
I know there are others, but until I remember what they are, I'm just going to crawl into a corner, curl up and cry softly into my knees.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
I'll continue cheerfully recommending Last Exile, great series. (As mentioned above, stick to the sub)
Steins;Gate is also brilliant and should be watched by everyone.
Pretty sure both of these series are on youtube.

Spice and Wolf up above is pretty good too, as long as you don't mind the pretty slow pace it keeps to most of the time.

Gormech

May 10, 2012
Highschool of the Dead.
Yes the first and second episode are in a highschool but they get outta there pretty quick and the story continues.
Have at it.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
Haven't watched anything in a while, but I'd recommend Deathnote, if you haven't already seen it. I'll just post episode 1 for your convenience.

Zak757

Oct 12, 2013
Gormech said:
Highschool of the Dead.
Yes the first and second episode are in a highschool but they get outta there pretty quick and the story continues.
Have at it.
Warning: if you don't like fanservice, don't even bother. The moment the main character used a 16 year olds enormous tits as a bipod for his rifle, only to shoot between another girls pair of tits (which somehow dodged the bullet by jiggling at supersonic speeds), I had to stop watching.

Also, I can't believe I forgot to recommend this: FATE/ZERO. Aside from the very lackluster first episode, it's fantastic. It was made on a budget large enough to fight a medium sized war, so it looks absolutely gorgeous. It is really grimdark and depressing though.