Recommend me an anime(that isn't about kids in high school.)

Patathatapon

Jul 30, 2011
Theres Nichijo- oh wait...

Theres Ouran Aca- oh wait...

Theres... umm... Clanna- oh wait...

Umm... Dragon Ball Z?

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
Any Miyazaki movie. I would say Soul Eater, but it's based in Death's academy... for all of three episodes, while the major plot that eventually comes out really only barely touches on the school... Air Gear's good, it's about genetically engineered humans who ride inline skates to get closer to god, no, seriously. It's basically Jet Set Radio with the insanity cranked up. While there are a few episodes based in the local school, they're only temporary, much of the story takes place in the alleys and underground. Hmm... what about FLCL? It's short, it's well animated, it's made by Gainax. Again, like, an episode or two in a school, but the plot is about extradimensional robots coming out of a kid's head...

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex...all of it. All 52 episodes and the Solid State Society movie. It's some of the best written stuff you'll ever watch.

Also, if you don't mind watching subtitled stuff find Ghost in the Shell Arise, it's a totally different continuity but it's also excellently done.

Pharsalus

Jun 16, 2011
Somebody said it already, but Legend of the Galactic Heroes; best anime ever! A completely mature, realistic and moving space opera.

Robotech was a pretty mature show as well, check it out!

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Elfgore said:
Yopaz said:
Elfgore said:
NHK ni Youkoso! (comedy, drama)
I can never recommend this one before someone else do. However, this anime is amazing. I am currently rewatching it and I still find it amazing.The comedy is pretty dark and at times you're not sure if you should laugh or cry. It's 25 episodes so it's not very long.
Sadly, I only watched this so I had background noise while playing some PC game and it was on netflix at the time. But even still, I really enjoyed it. I need to sit down and watch it again and take it all in. They really aced the romance too by taking their time with it and not shoving it in our faces.
It's still available on Netflix if you're interested.

It actually makes a bigger impact on me now than the first time I watched it. The thing about the series is that it's written by someone who struggles with extreme social anxiety. Welcome To the NHK describes the things he is dealing with. After finishing the book he actually withdrew from the world because he felt incapacitated by his anxiety. I enjoy the series, but it hits a little too close sometimes which is why it has taken me several months to watch through the series.

That's why this anime doesn't shove a love interest down our throats.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
Planetes
This is the hardest sci-fi I've seen in any medium, it makes 2001: A Space Odyssey look like Star Wars.
It's about a group of astronauts charge with cleaning up space debris.
So yes, its space garbage men... its alot better then the premise suggest.
Also despite the hard sci-fi, its pretty easy watching.
Really goes in depth into the human side of casual orbital space flight, also brings up alot of things that astronauts really experience but you don't really hear much about.

Heres a dub version if you want to check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J19VZ9DwUos
Though I can't vouch for the quality of the dub.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Full Metal Bolshevik said:
Roofstone said:
Fairy Tail, it is the best anime about magic guilds in a 1600s(ish)europe with magic punk elements on occasion.

Fairhy tail is pretty awesome.
Fairy Tail is mediocre at best. Name any other shounen and there´s 90% chance it's better than FT.
Well thank god I finally met someone who's opinion objectively outvalidates mine. Is it okay if I now deter to you for all my life decisions?

OT: Deadman wonderland is pretty great OP, it is about a magical prison which there lives people that use their blood as weaponry. It is pretty awesome, although the first five minutes of it takes place in a high school. I am sorry.

Liam Guzzo

Feb 4, 2013
What are you doing not watching Gurren Lagann right now. Watch it, Watch it right now. Already watched it ? Watch it again, then watch Kill la Kill !

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Roofstone said:
Roofstone said:
Fairy Tail, it is the best anime about magic guilds in a 1600s(ish)europe with magic punk elements on occasion.

Fairhy tail is pretty awesome.
Fairy Tail is mediocre at best. Name any other shounen and there´s 90% chance it's better than FT.
Well thank god I finally met someone who's opinion objectively outvalidates mine. Is it okay if I now deter to you for all my life decisions?

OT: Deadman wonderland is pretty great OP, it is about a magical prison which there lives people that use their blood as weaponry. It is pretty awesome, although the first five minutes of it takes place in a high school. I am sorry.
Wow, I really should take care of your life decisions, Deadman Wonderland is one of the 10% which is even worse than Fairy Tail, and the protagonist is just as bad as Natsu!

Feel free to PM me if you need any help picking better stuff ;)
Okay mr smarty pants, I shall PM you the next time a life or death situation is at hand. Please be ready with your infinite knowledge. (Though I grant you that Ganta (Protagonist) is a huge tosser.)

OT: If you don't mind gory, depressing and violent stuff with a weird plot. Try Elfen Lied, it is kinda depressing, but neat. (And I am soon running out of animes to post here as an excuse to be smarmy at Bolshevik. D; )

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Most of the stuff I'd recommend has been mentioned, but I don't think anyone has said Now And Then Here And There yet.

It's good shit. Starts off feeling like a typical "kid gets transported to another world" type shounen but then things go south pretty fast. Very interesting villain; he's not physically imposing and he's kind of pitiable, but he's just so unpleasant that he makes you feel uncomfortable every time he's on screen. He's a very believable monster.

Just as a warning, it is a very dark series.

I'd recommend trying not to read about it too much before watching, though, or you'll suffer some hefty hype backlash. It's a good series, but it's flawed. Nearly everything I read about it before hand had me thinking it would be the second coming of Christ or some shit.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
Well off the top of my head I can recommend some pretty good ones.
I'll provide a super brief description about them because I'm sure you can look up the official descriptions on wikipedia or something:

Witch Hunter Robin - It's about hunting witches!

Psycho Pass - It's about philosophy and crime in the future!

Baccano! - It's about old times new york gangsters who are immortal!

Helling Ultimate - It's Vampires vs. Nazis!

Spice and Wolf - It's about economics and romance!

Bokurano - It's about Giant Robots and depressing things!
It has kids in it, but highschool stuff is not seen or mentioned at all really.

Kino's Journey - It's about traveling to strange places!

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Zak757 said:
Gormech said:
Highschool of the Dead.
Yes the first and second episode are in a highschool but they get outta there pretty quick and the story continues.
Have at it.
Warning: if you don't like fanservice, don't even bother. The moment the main character used a 16 year olds enormous tits as a bipod for his rifle, only to shoot between another girls pair of tits (which somehow dodged the bullet by jiggling at supersonic speeds), I had to stop watching.

Also, I can't believe I forgot to recommend this: FATE/ZERO. Aside from the very lackluster first episode, it's fantastic. It was made on a budget large enough to fight a medium sized war, so it looks absolutely gorgeous. It is really grimdark and depressing though.
Why do people keep saying Fate/Zero's first episode was lack luster? What exactly is lack luster about introducing multiple characters with drastically different personalities and ideologies, and then meticulously establishing multiple story lines and building a sense of intrigue and mystery behind this war that's about to take place? I had never heard or seen either F/SN or Fate/Zero when I started watching Zero, and I was hooked from the beginning.

But yeah, Zero should definitely be on the top of your priorities. In terms of modern anime (i.e. anime that has come out in the past three years) Zero easily takes the number one spot for me.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Go watch Shigofumi cuz it is about a messenger from the after life that gives letters from people who have unresolved issues to their close ones.

Each episode has different people in it and you learn little by little on the delivery girl herself.

And Witchblade cuz it is the only anime I can think of that has a mom protagonist and she loves tearing things up, don't let the fanservice turn you down, it is pretty good and has a decent dub.

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
I recommend High School DxD. It's an anime about chess and boobs, definitely no High Schoolers here. There's also Cromartie High School. Meanwhile there's also Highschool of the Dead and Joshikousei.

I'd also like to recommend Golden Time. It's a romance that takes place in college and it's airing right now.