Recommend me an MMO

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
If you have a PS3 try out DC Universe Online, it's also on PC. It's F2P and a full fledged MMORPG with superheroes. I find it a lot of fun. It's free so you have nothing to lose if you try it out.

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
City of Heroes. Its a lot more fast paced than WOW and has insane customization. And is free,

Tourette

Dec 19, 2009
Wait a couple of weeks and get Star Wars: The Old Republic when it is released. Then you will be playing a fresh MMO with everyone on equal footing and I can tell you it is an amazing game to play.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Sixcess said:
Amphoteric said:
I think Lord of the Rings Online is great.

Shamus Young did a Lets play of it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/shamusplays/6993-Shamus-Plays-LOTRO-Part-1

Brandywine, Elendilmir, and Landroval I think are the biggest servers. Its also free to play but that will only last until maybe level 22 before you have to buy new areas or get a subscription.
The free part of the game now extends to level 30 or so as the Lone Lands were opened up to free players at the end of last year.

I'd definitely recommend LotRO. It's a solidly made game and the world is stunningly made. If you enjoyed the films, or better yet the books, it's a must see.
I was going to correct him, then you beat me to it, it seems. Oh, and you can actually go completely F2P if you want. There's a guy in my kin who has everything, and, like, 9 alts, and he did it all F2P. It just requires you to create a few Holocaust's worth of deaths to various enemy types.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
RuneScape is cheap, it's fantasy, community of about 11 million players, dozens of EU servers, no gold buying. However, it can take years to reach anything approaching the top.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Varanfan9 said:
City of Heroes. Its a lot more fast paced than WOW and has insane customization. And is free,
It so is not more faced pased.

A lot more customization, but the game is by far not fast paced. There's never any sense of urgency. There's no actual skill-testing involved. It's truly an easy-mode rpg.

I liked it tho, don't get me wrong, but CoH is no where near as fast paced as it is at level 85, gotta scorch, gotta living bomb, gotta fireball oh shit where's my proc, wait for it, living bomb, shit where's my proc THERE IT IS TIME WARP PYROBLAST COMBUSTION OH SHIT LIVING BOMB OH GOD FIRE I HAVE TO DODGE THE FIRE okay more fireball OH SHIT A TRAP I HAVE TO GO JUMP IN A TRAP QUICK BLINK OUT OH SHIT DIDN'T WORK SLOW FALL okay, scorch, living bomb... that was close... oh shit SONS OF FLAME GOTTA KILL THEM

WoW gets decidedly more fast paced once you start getting a deeper rotation and bosses start hurling actual mechanics at you.

Compare that to every CoH fight:

Toggles are on. Hitting an ability. Hitting another. Oh look the boss did something. Whatever. Hit another ability. Hit the first ability. Laser beams from eyes. Oh look the boss did another thing, hope the defender's on it. Fulcrum shift? GG boss.

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
Get ready for The Secret World, it looks to be a very interesting and free-ranging MMO experience. To the negative is that it's a Funcom production, to the positive is that it's a Ragnar Tornquist game (The Longest Journey, Dreamfall, and a pretty good novel) and apparently he and his team have had full control.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Well, you're on the right track with Guild Wars 2 if you want a low level cap to get right to PvP. I bet that Guild Wars 2 will have bigger campaigns than ever and more PvP arenas and missions.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
DracoSuave said:

Toggles are on. Hitting an ability. Hitting another. Oh look the boss did something. Whatever. Hit another ability. Hit the first ability. Laser beams from eyes. Oh look the boss did another thing, hope the defender's on it. Fulcrum shift? GG boss.
My first instinct was to disagree with this, but yeah, the problem with CoH is that if you get on a halfway competent team it does become very easy to steamroll 99% of the game. So much so that I've found myself secretly glad when there's a nightmare teammate who has no idea what he's doing and aggros everything in sight (Bots MM with pets on aggressive FTW!) because at least it might make things interesting.

Solo, small team or on highest difficulty settings it can be fun though. I do enjoy City's combat on those terms, since what works for one enemy group will not necessarily work for another.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Sixcess said:
DracoSuave said:

My first instinct was to disagree with this, but yeah, the problem with CoH is that if you get on a halfway competent team it does become very easy to steamroll 99% of the game. So much so that I've found myself secretly glad when there's a nightmare teammate who has no idea what he's doing and aggros everything in sight (Bots MM with pets on aggressive FTW!) because at least it might make things interesting.

Solo, small team or on highest difficulty settings it can be fun though. I do enjoy City's combat on those terms, since what works for one enemy group will not necessarily work for another.
In my hayday I was used to playing a Mind Dominator. Learned to hate Bots MM, but also learned how to trivialize every possible spawn group. Knowing which one to confuse, which ones to fear, which ones to stunlock.

Fleetfiend

Jun 1, 2011
I highly suggest Guild Wars, or Guild Wars 2 once it comes out.

I've been playing for over five years and I'm still having a grand 'ole time. I really respect the developers for GW. They are still releasing new content this close to the release of the sequel. Not the mention the fact that there is no monthly fee, and I personally enjoy it more than any MMOs I've played that DO have fees.

Fleetfiend

Jun 1, 2011
Da Orky Man said:
RuneScape is cheap, it's fantasy, community of about 11 million players, dozens of EU servers, no gold buying. However, it can take years to reach anything approaching the top.
I have to say, I don't suggest RS at all. I played it a lot when I was younger, but after a while it gets very, very stale. All the game really consists of is constant grinding followed by more constant grinding, so that you can level up and grind in new ways so that you can make money so that you can buy new things so that you can grind against other things.

That's just my opinion though.