Recommend me manga and anime!

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I'd like to read some manga and watch some animuh, so I need recommendations. What I'm looking for right now is stuff with lots and lots of fanservice, but there are certain limitations:

1. Nothing too dirty. I draw the line at exposed genitals of either gender. To that, I say no thank you. Nekkidness is fine, but no exposed dirty bits.

2. While I do welcome all fanservicy suggestions, I prefer comedy manga/animuh to plot manga/animuh.

3. What I want is series where the fanservice is a major part of the series' appeal. Not just any series that at some point has fan service in it. Kind of like the difference between a comedy movie and a non-comedy flick where at some point somebody tells a joke.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Attack on Titan!
Because Attack on Titan. What reasons do you really need to watch humans use swords and high powered grappling hooks to take on titans who threaten to wipe them out?

Also is Avatar an anime? Either way watch Avatar: The Last Airbender + Legend of Korra
They are legitimately funny and serious at the same time

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I guess Ranma 1/2? That stuff is MADE out of fanservice.
To a lesser extent, Ghost Sweeper Mikami as well.

They're both comedy, they're both very fanservice-y and they both have manga/anime.

If I were to disregard the conditions completely, I would instead recommend Cowboy Bebop, Rurouni Kenshin, Samurai Champloo and Neon Genesis Evangelion, in that order. I hear Attack on Titan is good and everybody's raving about it, but haven't seen much beyond a few gory clips. And Baccano! is supposed to be good too, but haven't seen that either.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Golden Boy - You want raunchy humor..? This 6 episode series is the king.

Dragon Half - The anime has only 2 episodes, but is screamingly funny. The manga goes on for way longer and is just as hilarious.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Excel Saga is fantastic, if you're looking for something humorous and fan servicey (that can be a word, who said it can't?). It's a very wacky anime where each episode tropes on some popular genre of anime, movies, or whatever. It's been a while since I've seen it, so I forget how fan servicey most of the episodes are, but there is one episode dubbed "The Fan Service Episode" where the characters go to a local pool; and in the last episode they basically said "Fuck it, let's see how much shit we can get away with showing on TV."

I also rather like Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi. It's similar to Excel in that it tropes on popular genres, but under a different premise (that I won't go into since it could be considered a spoiler). Nearly every episode also has a decent amount of fan service, with anything "over-the-top" being blurred out, or the camera cutting away just in time. Some of the later episodes kinda break your second rule, but it's worth a watch anyway.

Hm... off-hand, those two are all I can think of that are wacky and fan servicey (that's a word, and I'm sticking by it).

Psycomantis777

Apr 24, 2012
Start off with the classics, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, all of those have manga and anime incarnations, least I think so. You can usually count on anything from studio ghibli to be fun and light-hearted... with the exception of Grave of the Fireflies, which is the most depressing film I think I've ever seen. Origin: Spirit of the Past is quite pretty. Sky Blue, that's good... er... Appleseed, there's two of that, I've only seen the 3D animated one, there's manga for that too... Witchblade is surprisingly not-perverted for something with such a... breasty... protagonist.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
Based on what you said you like--
Rio! Rainbow Gate!:
Cat Girl Nuku Nuku (OVA>TV):
Irresponsible Captain Tylor:
Ruin Explorers:
3X3 Eyes:
Tenchi Muyo OVA's:
Love Hina:
Urusei Yatsura (Return of Lum):
Ranma 1/2:
Dirty Pair (original NOT DP Flash):
Martian Successor Nadesico:
City Hunter:
Maze (both TV & OVA):
Hyper Police:

Less fanservice-y but solid in humor:
any/all Lupin Movies;
Slayers:
You're Under Arrest!:

Johnnyseven

Mar 5, 2012
I recommend the same three I always recommend, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo and Outlaw Star.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
There is Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei,a series that lambast society's ill's and anime/manga tropes by taking them to their logical extremes.

Franken Fran,a wonderful black comedy about a lady who will do anything to help people and how horrid that can go.

Baka and Test:Summon the Beast,it's just really funny.

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
Highschool of the Dead is the most fanservice-y thing I've ever seen. So... check it out. It's slightly mixed as far as reception goes, but everyone can agree that it has a lot of fanservice.

viscomica

Aug 6, 2013
Hmm, I always recommend Kuroshitsuji for the fanservice... but it only works if you're a girl. Also, Death Note if you're feeling a bit depressed and / or insightful. Hmm, but mainly my two favorite animes ever are Yu Yu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin (my childhood!)
So yeah... sorry if that doesn't help much!

Shuguard

Apr 19, 2012
anime with fan service (non nude):
To-Love-Ru (harem with plenty of fan service),
Maji de Watashi ni Koishinasi (bits of fan service and harem can get pretty dirty with the jokes),
Fairy Tail (has some, but really lame plots every arc),
Kore Wa zombie desu Ka (more comedy with a group of girls and one guy, small bits of fan service).

If you don't mind going over the non-nude limit high school DxD and DxD next is pure fan service (nude),
To-Love-Ru darkness gets a bit more on the nudist side or becomes nicknamed To-Love-Ru Brightness (all those solar beams strategically covering genitalia).

And if you want an embarrassing, slice of life comedy I personally recommend Watamote (shorter nickname for "No matter how i look at it, it's you guys fault i'm not popular") Or (Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui!). It's a good read (also an anime) about a girl who has only 1 friend and a younger brother and she tries to be popular in the form of having more friends, but she has social anxiety(extreme) and usually goes to an extreme and becomes a bit of a pervert or does very awkward things.
here's a link
http://mangafox.me/manga/watashi_ga_motenai_no_wa_dou_kangaete_mo_omaera_ga_warui/v01/c001/1.html

LAGG

Jun 23, 2011
Aku No Hana, not really fan service in the funny sense of the word but still.
Princess Lover, this one is quite on the funny side.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
Angel Beats from me since you said you wanted comedy, fairly short as well so you can watch it within a few days if you just want to blast through it.

wickedmonkey

Nov 11, 2009
Try Tactical Roar I think it's called, plenty of fan-service in that I seem to recall.

And yes, the action bits in Assault on Titan are pretty cool, unfortunately it's padded out by lots of internal monologuing/whining which put me off watching more than 10 episodes - I tried, I really did.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Entitled said:
If you like game theory and psychology, read Liar Game.
You find lots of fanservice there? Wow... either you are easily aroused or I am missing something.
Casual Shinji said:
Golden Boy - You want raunchy humor..? This 6 episode series is the king.
Yeah, golden boy is solid fanservice, great animation and excellent writing.

Humm... off the top of my head? Agent Aika, good all around, amazing fanservice.

Queen Michael said:
3. What I want is series where the fanservice is at least 50% of the reason you read it. Not just any series that at some point has fan service in it. Kind of like the difference between a comedy movie and a non-comedy flick where at some point somebody tells a joke.
Humm... you make it harder.... actually impossible. I read Aiki in good part for the fanservice, but was only around 35%, 50%? Just switch to hentai.

DeepReaver

Feb 25, 2009
Empowered, an American manga so to speak. Very very good. Aside from that Histories Strongest Disciple Kenechi is also one of my favs and very very fanservice-ie.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Just watch the Bakemonogatari series please.
It has everything you could ever want in an anime including everything you listed.

Massive amounts of fanservice and it's not just the regular kind.
Though it's got that too.

This being the very first thing you'll see when you watch it.