Recommend Me My First Drink

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
The most vanilla drink that I can think of is gin and tonic. I'd suggest starting out with that and moving on to others from there.

-Like what you taste? Keep going.
-Wish it was sweater? Vodka and Sprite.
-Want more flavor? Rum and coke.

Once you acquire a taste for these three basic mixed drinks, experimenting is a lot more fun.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Story said:
I'm finally legal drinking age as of today and I have managed to avoid drinking anything alcoholic for 21 years. Well, okay a couple of sips of wine here and there but no one counts those, right?
Any recommendations for someone who hasn't a proper drink yet?
Mmm I could suggest beer, but eh .. you know beer is not equal everywhere. American beer is known as PISS over the world for instance. If one goes for american beer go for one of the smaller brewers. I can suggest an ale, something light enough with a good taste and easy drink. Dark beer will take time to get used to ;)

One thing you can try is the always good orange juice/vodka. Basic can't go wrong there.. as beginner a 1/5 vodka and 4/5 orange juice. They slowly work up :)

A second thing at least one in your life go all out. I don't say up to getting in the hospital but nothing teaches you to not drink to much as being to far and feeling it the day after. Oh yes..

It takes time to find where your limits are, how much you can drink, and what your taste would be. Young ones love sweet drinks usually and go for mixed drinks. But.. as you age you might get used to the bitter of stronger beers.

I remember going all out on vodka and.. something green. Yeah. the day after was an interesting time to say the least. Ever since I definitely know my limits. Of course I am older now but.. nowadays I buy belgium, dutch or german beers of good quality and good taste and enjoy it. Mmm the joy of that one great tasting beer with over 7% alcohol. A good television show/movie and you are set.

But as you begin the always classic orange juice + vodka can't be hurt. There also is passoa and other sweet blue/green and red drinks.

Oh the "I am going to be PIEP night" must be done at home for safety reasons.

Feb 28, 2008
Since I dislike Beers, Ciders and the like, I would tend to suggest something like Rum + Coke, Liqueur + Lemonade, Vodka + Energy.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Vodka and Coke! Always Vodka and coke(or whatever soft drink takes your fancy). Though be aware if you haven't drunk before they do creep up on you, given it for obvious reasons, just tastes like coke. It is however, a fairly clean alcohol, so hangovers are mild if at all. Drink lots of water.

And avoid fucking "Aftershock" like the plague after 1 or 2 shots of the stuff. Even as a hardcore drinker, I do NOT drink that stuff, because I am convinced the secret ingredient is liquidized pain and suffering. I can drink like a fish, almost anything I like all night long but more than 2 of the fuckers and I wake up feeling like my brain has haemorrhaged in several places.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
Pick up a bottle of good kentucky straight bourbon. Don't drink a bunch of different things its a sure fire way to toss your cookies. Just get one good bottle of hard liquor and nurse it. Take it slow, don't mix it. Just decent booze in a sipping glass, no ice. Trust me I will make an alcoholic out of you in no time.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
KarmaTheAlligator said:
Try everything. And I don't mean down the bottle every time, I mean take a sip and see what you like (very easy to do at house parties where there usually is a lot of choice). I started with beer (Desperados and Guinness), then later my taste changed (or rather I got sick of these foul tasting drinks) so I drink fruity drinks now (Kopparberg or any other drinks of the same kind). Basically, find what you like and stick with it, and of course, always in moderation. I'll never understand the mentality that a good night is one you can't remember.
This is very good advice and I second it. A lot of drinks also have acquired tastes, and alcohol in general takes getting used to. So I'd say try different things, see what you like, and every once in a while go back to old things you didn't like before. Your tastes will change as you get used to different things. For starters sweeter or fruitier drinks where you can't really taste the alcohol tend to be popular. Beer takes getting used to - from my personal experience it took a few months before I really got used to the taste of beer, and even then it was only the lighter lagers and Belgians. Now of course I think it's really good, but it's definitely an acquired taste.

So yeah, try different things to find what you like, and then stick with it but re-visit some things as you get older and more used to the taste of alcohol.

2clueless

Clueless since 2003
Apr 11, 2012
As mentioned so far, some thoughts and considerations.

1) Learn your stages of Tipsy / Drunk / Drunker / Down. Find your enjoyable buzz-spot.

I find the level of buzz between Tipsy and Drunk to be the most enjoyable. You are loose, feeling good, and are still mostly coherent to the people around you. Spontaneous dancing and singing may occur. Of course, you are feeling awesome. You know you want to feel even MORE awesome, and start drinking more, faster. Not a great idea. You'll end up on the floor, puking, with no memory in no time. Learn your stages, learn your warning signs associated with those stages.

Are you going to go over the edge? Absolutely. Part of the learning experience. Just learn as you go.

2) Water will help you avoid hangovers.

Got this from my brother. My younger brother. But it works! At the end of a heavy night out, try and leave / stay conscious for a couple hours and drink a lot of water. YOu'll start to sober up by the end, you won;t spin out of control when you try and sleep, and you won't wake up feeling like a train wreck in the morning.

3) If all else fails, throw up.

It is gross, disgusting, and does not endear you to those around you. However, the sense of relief and how fast such an expereince can kick start your sobriety is downright surprising and a god-send. Last resort, though. This means you have drank far too much too quickly, and you are in very bad shape. Moderation frist, water second, throw up last.

ANYWAYS..

Experimentation is your friend. There is a *lot* to choose from. People like to drink, and the world provides you such a choice of alchohol, it will make you dizzy. Beer, Cider, Wine, Whiskeys, Cremes, Vodkas, Cocktails, Mixed Drinks, Shots, Meads, etc.

Myself, I find beer far too bitter to enjoy in any capacity. So I tend to stick to red wine and hard cider when I drink in any sustained capacity. Also, mixed drinks: Gin and Tonic, Rye and Ginger, Rum and Coke, good to get your feet wet. And just wait till you aquire a taste from the expensive stuff. Tequilas, Whiskeys, Scotches. Stuff that you just let sit on your tongue and evaporate, taking in the warmth and flavour. Like biting into expensive chocolate, only wiht alchohol.

Enjoy, me fellow Escapist. A wide range of new and exciting experiences is open to you!

PS. Drink because you want to and enjoy it, do not drink becuase of pressure.

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
I started with beer back in the days (a little over a decade ago), but if you don't like the taste then I think there is some modern copy of beer that goes by the name of Bacardi breezer or something like that, which could be a good place to start.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
I figure you can start with some hard ciders or lemonades, always a good start. Mixed drinks are nice too; cant go wrong with a screwdriver(one part vodka, two parts orange juice). After that, you could expand a bit, or do like I did and just go for straight shots at the beginning, but you know, whatever you feel like doing.

Iwantstuff

Jun 20, 2013
One of my favorite drinks is simply Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey and Dr. Pepper. If you mix it right it's absolutely delicious, one of the few alcoholic drinks I can straight up chug (not that I'd recommend that, of course).

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
A few shots of Everclear to get you started.

Ok, serious now. Try some mixed drinks, usually a nice way to start.
Beer is sort of a mixed bag, and wine is something you either love or hate.

Just take it slow, start with small amounts to see what you like.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I recommend against beer, it's awful. On the other hand, don't start with fruity drinks either, start with some middling drinks. Rum and coke, whiskey sour, amaretto sour, jack and coke, or captain morgan and cream soda. I would personally recommend a whiskey sour first.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I'm mostly into beers and that's really the only type of alcoholic beverage I can recommend.

With that said, Samuel Adams puts out some really nice beers. Their Cherry Wheat is great and not too strong, but be warned, as it tends to be a love it or hate it beer. You might want to try their Octoberfest, which pretty much everyone I know absolutely loves, even if they generally avoid beer. If you don't care about how strong the taste is, their Boston Lager should be a good starting point.

Another good one might be Hoegaarden. It isn't a very strong beer, but it isn't bland either (actually, I think it is one of the best of the styles). It's a little harder to find than some of the more heavily advertised ones, but you should be able to find it at at least one major store where you live. Leffe Blonde is a good beer and tastes identical to some of the ones you can pick up for $12 at the same place the Leffe Blonde would cost $8 at. On the other hand, if you're looking at sort of a Belgian-styled ale, you could always go with Blue Moon (avoid their seasonal beers at all cost though!), as it isn't anywhere near as strong tasting, but, at least for me, it is incredibly bland compared to what is out there, and may be a turn off in that regard as well.

Also, if you plan on going with a pale lager, go with something like Heineken or Samuel Adams Noble Pils. Heineken is far from the best beer on the market, but it is the best of the more mainstream ones (Note: I don't entirely consider Samuel Adams and Yuengling to be mainstream).

Of course, if you plan on going to a specialty store like Total Wine, there are plenty more to get there. Weihenstephaner (a.k.a. Weihenstephan) has great beers, especially their Hefe Weissbier. I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard their Kristall Weissbier is also excellent.

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
Cocksucking Cowboy (shot) is the best for beginners.

Stay the fuck away from any type of whiskey (that means scotch, bourbon, rye, etc.), rum or similar hard spirits until you get a taste for alcohol. Do NOT touch gin or tequila unless seriously mixed.

Schnapps, Kalua, Tia Maria, Baileys, and motherfucking Frangelico are amazing. Start with liqueurs and work your way up.

Have fun!

PS Don't try IPA or anything like it until you're sure you like beer. If you're going to drink beer, don't drink anything with "Lite" in the name, because it is not beer, it is piss-flavoured water.