Recommend me some books.

ElectroJosh

Aug 27, 2009
Quite a few good ones already mentioned. If you want a sci-fi or fantasy book you are already well-covered although there are many others that deserve a mention;

Iain M Banks for sci-fi - try the Player of Games or Use of Weapons as they are very much standalone novels.
China Mieville for fantasy - try The Scar

If you aren't after such dense reading maybe something a bit more fun - grab Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut (its sort of a war novel, sort of sci-fi with a splash of comedy).

tellytoy

Feb 14, 2012
I quite enjoyed The Bourne Identity novel. It's worth reading even if you've seen the film as they are actually quite different.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Alaster Angelo said:
The Bartimaeus Trilogy: The Amulet of Samarkand, The Golem's Eye, and Ptolemy's Gate.
Yeah, these books are great, I would recommend them too.

Also The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy is one of my favourite series.

Now, let me introduce you to perhaps my favourite series of all time, The Wheel of Time. It's a great time to start reading it since the series will come to its conclusion in January.

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
Jo nesbo's books. Greatest detective stories of this age. My personal favorite of then is "the snowman"

Robert Rankin. Funny novels that will have you giggling like a madman on ever other page

The harry potter series. Though 99% of the reading population have been through them.

Yatzhee's books. JAM and Mogworld. Great and hilarious

World war Z. Really cool. The journal of a really good journalist

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
thejackyl said:
I am interested in some of H.P. Lovecraft's works, and will probably get the collection for $3, where's a good place to start there?
I suggested the Necronomicon because it starts small and you get tidbits of the universe here and there.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
thejackyl said:
I just got a kindle for Christmas, but I'm not much of a book person. Recommend me some good books.

I enjoy pretty much any setting as long as it's interesting.
Depends on what genre/style you look for, where you live, and whether you like simple/complicated reads or not.

Two classics I always recommend are Conrad's Heart of Darkness and Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451.

If you're Canadian and like books about the journalism industry, there are two really good books I've read lately (Ego and Ink by Chris Cobb (about the Canadian newspaper war of the late 90's/early 00's) and Lloyd Robertson's The Kind Of Life Its Been (he's not a very good writer, but the anecdotes are awesome).

If you like business books, I'd recommend Driven by Robert Herjavec (the guy from Shark Tank/Dragon's Den). A fairly quick read, and provides amazing advice if you want to be an entrepreneur.

If you like autobiographies, Life by Keith Richards is amazing, and the narrative is hilarious.

Harley Q

Oct 11, 2009
The Fry Chronicles. Stephen Fry is the man. If its the hd kindle fire then if you're not really into books you can still read comics and such on it. Always an option

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Science Fiction:

Cities in Flight by James Blish.
Deathworld 1/2/3 by Harry Harrison.
Stainless Steel Rat series by the same.
Saga of Seven Suns series by Kevin J Anderson.

Fantasy:

Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks.
The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss.

Those are all the big ones I can think of.

Niflhel

Sep 25, 2010
Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes. EVERYONE should read it, it's most excellent.

Oinodaemon

Apr 9, 2009
Good Omens, The Wheel of Time series, The Hitchhiker's Guide series, Dune, Catch 22, Stranger in a Strange Land, Illusions, The Mists of Avalon, Mogworld...I could think of more, these are just off the top of my head. They are all precious to me in their own way.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
sextus the crazy said:
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. It's one of the funniest books I've read.

Kaputt by Curzio Malaparte. It's his autobiography of being an italian ambassador to various axis nations during WWII was written in 1943. It's a masterpiece with some beautiful prose.
Bump for Catch-22. What was true and funny about the Army back then is still true and funny today.

The Comedian

Dec 12, 2012
well I can name a few
1984 by george orwell
brave new world by aldous huxley
Fear and loathing in las vegas and The Rum diary by Hunter S Thompson

but if you are looking for a series to get in to I recomend A song of ice and fire by George R Martin

Eomega123

Jan 4, 2011
My favorite books are:

And Then There Were None: A murder mystery where everyone is a suspect and potential vicitm. A fairly quick read that should hopefully keep you guessing.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame: Great characters, sympathetic villian, and one of my favorite protagonists ever. Also lots of lovely death. You can count the characters who survive till the last chapter on one hand.

A Confederacy of Dunces: A great comedy, interesting characters, and something like 20 simultaneous plots that constantly cross over eachother and all converge at one of the most satisfying finales I've ever read. Don't worry if you hate the protagonist, you're supposed to.

kanyewhite

Sep 2, 2012
The BIg Short-really narrative heavy version of what in reality was very boring. It really gives insight into how the US economy leading up to 2008.

1Q84-nuff said

Anything by Christopher Buckley

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
If you're not much of a reader, chances are you wouldn't have read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas or American Psycho.

But I'd recommend Philip K Dick to everyone. That guy was a genius.

However,if H.P Lovecraft is your thing, there's plenty of good horror there. Horns is pretty cool. As for Lovecrat's books, start with Call of Cthulu and At the Mountains of Madness. Those are kick of his Cthulu stuff.