Recommend me some books.

Mr.Wizard

Apr 22, 2010
Another vote for the Dresden Files. Just read the latest one and it is still as fun and engaging as the first one was when I read it.

Also for another great character based series, The Farseer Trilogy and The Tawny Man Trilogy by Robin Hobb. One of the few series that had characters I truly cared about and has the most satisfying ending of any series I have ever read.

Mr.Wizard

Apr 22, 2010
Matt S Hoimyr said:
Jo nesbo's books. Greatest detective stories of this age. My personal favorite of then is "the snowman"

Robert Rankin. Funny novels that will have you giggling like a madman on ever other page

The harry potter series. Though 99% of the reading population have been through them.

Yatzhee's books. JAM and Mogworld. Great and hilarious

World war Z. Really cool. The journal of a really good journalist
I loved Mogworld, but haven't read Jam yet? Which is better in your opinion?

ADDLibrarian

May 25, 2008
Don't forget that most of your "classics" are free and in the public domain- many great books are available for free at these sites:

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.openculture.com/free_ebooks
http://users.erols.com/jonwill/freebooks.htm

Amazon.com has a "free kindle book" section as well.

And here's a brief article on how you can make ebooks out of wikipedia articles.
http://lifehacker.com/5944128/create-ebooks-from-wikipedia-articles-for-on-the-go-reading-anywhere

Oh, and keep an eye on the humble bundle site- they usually do indie video games, but they recently had a "humble ebook bundle" and I got some great titles for cheap (plus it goes to charity, which is awesome)
http://blog.humblebundle.com/post/33237485887/introducing-the-humble-ebook-bundle

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Brave Story, by Miyuki Miyabe

Full Tilt, by Neal Shusterman

The Westing Game, by Ellen Raskin

SmileyBat

Jun 14, 2010
spartan231490 said:
oggebogge91 said:
The Name of the Wind & A Wise Man's Fear By Patrick Rothfuss
Probably the best fantasy books I've read since Lord of the Rings, I'm just desperately waiting for the third book in the series(The Doors of Stone). The story is a framed narrative with the main character telling the story from his humble Childhood to how he became the most notorious man the world has ever heard of.
OMG I LOVE the prologue and epilogue of those books sooooooooooooo much. Also, his introduction! Amazing! Spectacular books, second to none. READ THEM, READ THEM! And now that the manic fan in me is satisfied.

Good luck on your reading endeavors my good man.
Yeah that's a fair take on Drizzt. Take a look at the Sellswords trilogy; Drizzt is actually absent from them and it's Artemis and Jarlaxl, it's pretty fun. PM me what your last straw on the series was exactly, I'm curious.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
mirage202 said:
If you have any interest in historical Roman fiction, I'd recommend
If you enjoy roman fiction read the Oath of Empires series. It's more alternative history due to the fact there is magic and it takes place in 600 or 700 AD. Many years after it's collapse.

OT: The Black Company series by Glen Cook. Best series ever, if you like fantasy. Puts you in the shoes of a common mercenary and not a king or prince, just a run of the mill soldier. Actually just read anything written by Glen Cook.

Metro 2033 is a good read too if you can find it in English, and that said English version doesn't cost 40 bucks.

klown

Jun 6, 2012
Okay, well here is a list of my Favorite Books

Flesh & Blood by Graham Masterton
Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
Raptor Red
Timeline
Sphere
Sandstorm
Deep Fathom
Alter Of Eden
Games Of Thrones
Mogworld

Here are some Authors I really like also
Michel Critchon
James Rollins
Vince Flynn

That should get you started.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
spartan231490 said:
thejackyl said:
I just got a kindle for Christmas, but I'm not much of a book person. Recommend me some good books.

I enjoy pretty much any setting as long as it's interesting.
Sword of Truth, by Terry Goodkind
Kingkiller Chronicles, by Patrick Rothfuss
Wheel of Time, by Robert Jordan/ Brandon Sanderson
Night Angel Trilogy, by Brent Weeks
And the seldom recommended on this site: Attikus Kodiak Series, but Greg Rucka
Those are all really really good, and that's several months reading or more.

If you'd prefer something a little less dense but just as fun try
Inheritance Cycle, by Christopher Paolini
Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan
Ranger's Apprentice series, by John Flannagan
Deltora Quest series, Emily Rhoda

If you haven't read it yet:
Harry Potter, by JK Rowling
Artemis Fowl, by Eoin Colfer(probably didn't spell that right)
Lord of the Rings, by Tolkein

If you prefer something with a bit more romance in it:
try just about anything by Patricia Briggs, Mercy Thompson series and Alpha and Omega series are both really really good.

Also, I suggest just about anything written by Chris Crutcher. He writes YA stuff but it's really good, even if you're not YA. I wouldn't suggest it if you're over 30 though, probably a little boring. I particularly liked Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes, Run if you Dare, Running Loose, Iron Man, Chinese Handcuffs, and Deadline. That's more than half of what he wrote.

I am a big book reader, and these would be my first suggestions.
Edit
Can't believe I forgot the Dragaeran or Vlad Taltos series, by Steven Brust. Amazing, it's a great series that lives by it's amazing characters. If you love sarcastic main characters, than this is one series you absolutely can't allow yourself to miss. It can be read in just about any order(that's what the author intended) but I personally prefer publishing order, though chronological order wouldn't steer you wrong either(yes that's correct, they weren't written chronologically)
Lison to this man he speaks the truth!

OT: everything the gentalman above me posted and also ;
the mistborn books and pretty much anything else by brandon sanderson

Aeonxan

Dec 24, 2012
"the road" by cormac mccarthy, "fight club" by chuck palahniuk and "the kite runner." those are my all time favorite books

Daniel Ferguson

Apr 3, 2010
The Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Epic fantasy about a fantasy hero, good with blade, spell and music. BEST prologue I've ever read, best blurb too. Get the one with this blurb, if you can:

?I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep. My name is Kvothe. You may have heard of me.?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/186074.The_Name_of_the_Wind

The Tales of the Ketty Jay trilogy by Chris Wooding. Just... wow. Since when were books allowed to be FUN?!

Sky piracy is a bit out of Darian Frey?s league. Fate has not been kind to the captain of the airship Ketty Jay?or his motley crew. They are all running from something. Crake is a daemonist in hiding, traveling with an armored golem and burdened by guilt. Jez is the new navigator, desperate to keep her secret from the rest of the crew. Malvery is a disgraced doctor, drinking himself to death. So when an opportunity arises to steal a chest of gems from a vulnerable airship, Frey can?t pass it up. It?s an easy take?and the payoff will finally make him a rich man.

But when the attack goes horribly wrong, Frey suddenly finds himself the most wanted man in Vardia, trailed by bounty hunters, the elite Century Knights, and the dread queen of the skies, Trinica Dracken. Frey realizes that they?ve been set up to take a fall but doesn?t know the endgame. And the ultimate answer for captain and crew may lie in the legendary hidden pirate town of Retribution Falls. That?s if they can get there without getting blown out of the sky.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6285903-retribution-falls

That's my contribution. Also, read my book when it's published :)

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
No love for Vonnegut?

I recommend Slaughterhouse-Five, obviously, but I also really loved Breakfast of Champions. Those two and Cat's Cradle are probably the three ubiquitous Vonnegut novels, but I went on to read all of them. Really liked Time Quake and God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater and Galapagos.

I also like John Irving, so:

-The World According to Garp
-A Prayer for Owen Meany

Other people have said these, but everyone should read:

-1984 by Orwell
-Catch 22 by Heller
-The Catcher in the Rye by Salinger
-Lord of the Flies by Golding
-Deliverance by James Dickey
-The Adventures Huckleberry Finn by Twain
-Call of the Wild by London

If you want something that you can read in bite size chunks on the shitter and always laugh, I recommend:

-The Areas of My Expertise by John Hodgman.

Areas of My Expertise is still the funniest book I've ever read. It contains a list of 700 hobo names, and the Secrets of the Mall of America, and this table of all 55 dramatic situations. [http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_o1geY0xArOs/Sl2AlFtOWWI/AAAAAAAAALo/1HhfPez7KFA/s1600-h/The+55+Dramatic+Situations+pg+2.jpg]

spartan231490 said:
Ah, I was waiting to see if someone else recommended this. I really like the Sword of Truth series. I didn't know what to make of it, at first, because it's really easy reading, so at first I thought I was reading a kids book. Then people started getting disemboweled and raped and tortured and stuff. I'm on book three, and they always start a little slow and then really ramp up in the end, to the point where I usually have to finish the book in a marathon session because I can't wait to see what's happening.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Uszi said:
No love for Vonnegut?

I recommend Slaughterhouse-Five, obviously, but I also really loved Breakfast of Champions. Those two and Cat's Cradle are probably the three ubiquitous Vonnegut novels, but I went on to read all of them. Really liked Time Quake and God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater and Galapagos.

I also like John Irving, so:

-The World According to Garp
-A Prayer for Owen Meany

Other people have said these, but everyone should read:

-1984 by Orwell
-Catch 22 by Heller
-The Catcher in the Rye by Salinger
-Lord of the Flies by Golding
-Deliverance by James Dickey
-The Adventures Huckleberry Finn by Twain
-Call of the Wild by London

If you want something that you can read in bite size chunks on the shitter and always laugh, I recommend:

-The Areas of My Expertise by John Hodgman.

Areas of My Expertise is still the funniest book I've ever read. It contains a list of 700 hobo names, and the Secrets of the Mall of America, and this table of all 55 dramatic situations. [http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_o1geY0xArOs/Sl2AlFtOWWI/AAAAAAAAALo/1HhfPez7KFA/s1600-h/The+55+Dramatic+Situations+pg+2.jpg]

spartan231490 said:
Ah, I was waiting to see if someone else recommended this. I really like the Sword of Truth series. I didn't know what to make of it, at first, because it's really easy reading, so at first I thought I was reading a kids book. Then people started getting disemboweled and raped and tortured and stuff. I'm on book three, and they always start a little slow and then really ramp up in the end, to the point where I usually have to finish the book in a marathon session because I can't wait to see what's happening.
I read every one of the books except book 7 in less than 2 full days, the only series I've found to be as interesting is kingkiller chronicles.

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
"Lamb: Thw Gospel according to Bif, Christ's Chilhood Pal" by Christoper Moore is the best book I read this year.
"Nightfall" by Issac Asimov is another fave of mine, as is "The End of Eternity"

Actually, anything by Issac Asimov is gonna be gold.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Probably for a slightly younger crowd but 'Ready Player One' is one of the best books I have read recently. It has a lot of references to older games like Joust, Zork and Pacman era.
Its not so good if you aren't a fan of sci-fi or fantasy though.

Daniel Ferguson

Apr 3, 2010
I also have to recommend This Book Is Full Of Spiders, sequel - in the loosest sense possible while retaining the same characters and the Soy Sauce and a passing reference to the villain - to John Dies At The End. JDATE is a bit sloppy, the writer's DEFINITELY improved since then (around a decade, I believe, editing for www.cracked.com) but it was the first good read all year, the year I read it, detracting issues aside (and a lot of people love it for the roughness it exhibits, which I can understand and respect, if not share in exactly).

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12924261-this-book-is-full-of-spiders

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
Mr.Wizard said:
I loved Mogworld, but haven't read Jam yet? Which is better in your opinion?
Hmmmm difficult question. But I think I have to go with JAM.
Because it actually was addictive. I remember carrying it around in my coat all day just so I could pick it up and read at allopportunities. The characters are more likeable, the story is more tense and it have a few genius twist that makes you rethink the entire plot and story.

Also. You said you had read mogworld? Well then I really suggest you read JAM. Because ....... I don't wanna spoil anything, I think you you'll know what I mean when you see it