Recommend me tasteful music

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
a very cool, egyptian-styled, yet modern rock is Ra! try Skorn and Do you call my name for starts if you wanna taste. (best listened to while semi-unhappy or just a bit moody xD)

Chrishu

Jul 2, 2008
If you're looking for ambient sounds with jazz, rnb, and a sprinkling of hip-hop, try Nujabes.

Not exactly your style, per se, but very, VERY classy

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Tasteful is a very subjective term.

Because I doubt many have not had the pleasure of listening to/knowing about this band and they are an unbelieveably talented group I suggest you and everyone listen to Frost* (the asterisk being part of the band name).

They are a genius British prog band with very strong pop elements.

FrostyRoskies

Jun 16, 2010
Porcupine Tree for you, good sir. I have plenty more if you want more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgd1v01lFyA

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
stauner said:
Some good recommendations so far. Given your existing tastes, I would be fairly confident that 'Four Tet' will float your boat.

EDIT: the guy up there ^ that's recommending Jellyfish, listen to him. Not immediately what I would have in mind given the OPs brief but that's a great suggestion.
Ah, been listening to Four tet for a while, I couldn't really avoid him, he seems to come up whenever I'm looking up Piano Magic.

Also, as I've said. I'm fully aware that what is or isn't tasteful is completely subjective, I just think it's a good divider, a nice way to get some varying tastes in.

KnowYourOnion

Jul 6, 2009
Mr Somewhere said:
Before I start, I have searched to check if there have been any recent recommendation threads.

I've been looking to get into some new music, and I've been searching for the past week, without any luck. So, I've decided to rely on the escapist community to recommend me music. I'm looking for something different, tasteful, thoughtful or simply moving. I put a very high importance on lyrics and I'd like to avoid the usual stuff.

I'll leave with a sample of what I usually listen to...

David Bowie, Brian Eno, Penguin Cafe Orchestra, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, Devo, Howlin' Wolf, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Piano Magic, Dead Can Dance, Alien Sex Fiend, Blue Nile, Virgin Prunes, Gavin Friday and Cocteau Twins.

Have a listen to some Maybeshewill, they're a great post-rock band from where I live. They write absolutely stunning tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU2zMMyzEHg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT-8bQzkZec&feature=related

Their songs take a while to really kick in but just stick with them all the way through and you'll be blown away :)

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Well here's something a bit different, unfortunately it has no lyrics...or vocals, it's an instrumental Jazz-Metal band. If that sentence alone at least intrigues you, then give this a try:

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'the usual stuff' but presumably that's more well known acts, so I'll refrain from suggesting Tool, early King Crimson and Yes (anything they made outside the 70's isn't worth your time if you haven't heard of them and are at all curious). If I can think of anything else a bit more obscure to match up with what your asking for I'll come back with something.

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
FrostyRoskies said:
Porcupine Tree for you, good sir. I have plenty more if you want more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgd1v01lFyA
Ah, yes I have a friend who is quite the prog rock/metal fan so I'm well aware of them, good choice regardless.

KnowYourOnion said:
Mr Somewhere said:
Before I start, I have searched to check if there have been any recent recommendation threads.

I've been looking to get into some new music, and I've been searching for the past week, without any luck. So, I've decided to rely on the escapist community to recommend me music. I'm looking for something different, tasteful, thoughtful or simply moving. I put a very high importance on lyrics and I'd like to avoid the usual stuff.

I'll leave with a sample of what I usually listen to...

David Bowie, Brian Eno, Penguin Cafe Orchestra, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, Devo, Howlin' Wolf, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Piano Magic, Dead Can Dance, Alien Sex Fiend, Blue Nile, Virgin Prunes, Gavin Friday and Cocteau Twins.

Have a listen to some Maybeshewill, they're a great post-rock band from where I live. They write absolutely stunning tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU2zMMyzEHg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT-8bQzkZec&feature=related

Their songs take a while to really kick in but just stick with them all the way through and you'll be blown away :)
Also, very impressed with this, thanks for the recommendation.

kaioxs

Sep 17, 2008
Emancipator (does the sickest Sigur Ros MobbDeep mash up) is brilliant chill out music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rAfUUg1_gQ

The XX are also pretty good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pib8eYDSFEI&ob=av2e

As is Dj Shadow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqkYwkjpo_o

Something rocky you might not of heard. try Tame Impala or Elbow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfcHq0hhFWg

yeah i mostly listen to Acid jazz downtempo trip hop kinda stuff. Dont know if thats your sort of thing. But if it is things like Massive Attack, Thievery Corporation and Santessa could be worth a look.

AceTrilby

Dec 24, 2008
The first thing that popped into my head when I thought of tasteful music was Al Stewart.

Also, I agree with Stealthygamer. POTF are a vastly underrated band, in my opinion.

See also: Gerry Rafferty, Band of Skulls and Bad Company.

psychodynamica

Feb 24, 2010
Tool, Puscifer have a couple a goodins (check momma sed), carnivool are pretty kool. try siKth - peepshow, little on the metal side of things but they got some solid meaning behind that stuff. but generally if you want mordern music with real meaning, you'll have to learn to like death metal and all the derivatives thereof, bands like Gojira, althought a little hard to get into for those with more.... let's say "mainstream" taste but if you can judge music on it's individual value without letting silly little preconcieved notion of what good music is. Now if you really want to look for some fresh, deep and meaningful music try the above, and when you get past the sikth song still happy, message me/add me and i will try to introduce you to some other stuff of that variety.

http://youtu.be/t59vYoP6LkY

Carnivool-Themata

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
Mr.Mattress said:
Psychedelic Rock might be the way for you to go:

And much much more!
Of course I've listened to Psychedelic Rock, silly, thanks at any rate.

AceTrilby said:
The first thing that popped into my head when I thought of tasteful music was Al Stewart.

Also, I agree with Stealthygamer. POTF are a vastly underrated band, in my opinion.

See also: Gerry Rafferty, Band of Skulls and Bad Company.
Already gots some Al Stewart back here!

Matthew Kjonaas

Jun 28, 2011
The national,Clues, or fiz and the tanturmes... I am not sure I spelled the last one right but they are all good in my book.

Skeith2005

Master Of Mashed Potatoes
Aug 31, 2008
As always, I shall recommend my two favorite bands: Rush and The B-52's. I'd recommend Rush's earlier stuff to you, when they were much more Prog Rock. Presto, Roll The Bones, Test For Echo and Signals are my four favorite albums, with Counterparts being a runner-up. Their first album is basically a Zeppelin clone, if that's your style. Their newer stuff is still good, but they've taken more of a Hard Rock-ish tone.

The B-52's are New Wave Pop Rock... Gotta love Fred Schneider. And I must admit, I really liked their new album, Funplex. Cosmic Scene and their self-titled album will always be my favorites, though.

And I must say, this thread has a lot of good suggestions. I'm already planning on increasing my music library with some of the suggestions. :D

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
Skeith2005 said:
As always, I shall recommend my two favorite bands: Rush and The B-52's. I'd recommend Rush's earlier stuff to you, when they were much more Prog Rock. Presto, Roll The Bones, Test For Echo and Signals are my four favorite albums, with Counterparts being a runner-up. Their first album is basically a Zeppelin clone, if that's your style. Their newer stuff is still good, but they've taken more of a Hard Rock-ish tone.

The B-52's are New Wave Pop Rock... Gotta love Fred Schneider. And I must admit, I really liked their new album, Funplex. Cosmic Scene and their self-titled album will always be my favorites, though.

And I must say, this thread has a lot of good suggestions. I'm already planning on increasing my music library with some of the suggestions. :D
Ah, cool this thread has found use for another. But, yargh, I'm already aware of both those bands :p, if you've got any other suggestions I'm listening!

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
EDUY - SEX FIRE RELIGION

Sex Fire Religion
Visionary position
Angel in your temple of pleasure
Sex Fire Religion
I been granted admission
Angel in your temple of love

Wicked wild m'am with a bag full of tricks
And up shit creek there I'm stuck in a fix
Strikes like a bolt from the blue
The siren baits with lubrication
Then she steals your habitation
Rides you and ties you and runs you

Maybe she don't know love
But she knows how to make it
Divinity is running down her skin
In the city of evil we touch the sky
Let the ride to paradise begin

And when the time pieces shatter
I am baptized by the attar
Kick down into the pie

It's not like that's the majority of Edguy's songs though. To be perfectly honest i like Sammet better with Avantasia instead. He makes some really great music there(He does with Edguy as well, it's just not as... tasteful).

Skeith2005

Master Of Mashed Potatoes
Aug 31, 2008
Mr Somewhere said:
Skeith2005 said:

Ah, cool this thread has found use for another. But, yargh, I'm already aware of both those bands :p, if you've got any other suggestions I'm listening!
Yeah, I figured, considering how popular they are. Thought I'd throw them out there anyway. =D. Not sure if you watch/heard of Red vs Blue (A Halo-made machinima I heartily recommend), but you might try the band that did the music for them for the first five seasons, Trocedero. Superhero and (617) are good songs that are on YouTube. Chronic Future is another good one, if you're into the genre. YouTube "Time and Time Again" and "Memories in F Minor" for good examples. If you're into Metal, a great band is Edguy, especially the album "Mandrake". :)