Recommend My Dad an Anime

DuctTapeJedi

Nov 2, 2010
I'm trying to get my dad into anime/hang out more. He has really eclectic tastes, and has so far enjoyed all of the Avatar episodes we've watched, as well as the few episodes of Cowboy Bebop, and Ghost in the Shell we've watched.

My biggest concern I that in addition to what's good, I want to know what to watch to avoid NSFW moments that may be awkward to watch with a parent. For example, I love Kill la Kill, but the infamous episode 16 bath-house seen would be uncomfortable to watch with my dad.[footnote]Just kidding, that as uncomfortable to watch in any situation.[/footnote]

Any suggestions?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
What does he like outside of anime? Would he like a cerebral mind shake like Paranoia Agent or Serial Experiments Lain? Would he prefer a weird off the wall comedy like Nichijou? Would he want a romance/tear jerker like Clannad? Would he like something a little more down to earth like Kids on the Slope?

DuctTapeJedi

Nov 2, 2010
Weaver said:
What does he like outside of anime? Would he like a cerebral mind shake like Paranoia Agent or Serial Experiments Lain? Would he prefer a weird off the wall comedy like Nichijou? Would he want a romance/tear jerker like Clannad? Would he like something a little more down to earth like Kids on the Slope?
He pretty much likes anything in the way of Science Fiction or Fantasy.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Mushishi might be a good one. Don't go into it expecting an overarching plot or action though, it's closer to a mellow collection of fantastical just-so stories.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Asita said:
Mushishi might be a good one. Don't go into it expecting an overarching plot or action though, it's closer to a mellow collection of fantastical just-so stories.
I second this. Mushi-shi is fantastic. It's basically a series about examining the emotions and choices of people with a fantasy background of spirits, and folklore.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Has he seen Perfect Blue? Yeah maybe not the manliest anime, but seriously great. Trippy, but still great.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
If he likes fantasy give Madoka Magica a watch. Hell, I don't even like Magical girl shows and now it's my favorite anime show. It's a tightly focused story based around a small group of characters and is a beautiful and well-done genre deconstruction. It's only 12 eps, so give it a watch. Also, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brother. It's a sort of a modern (early 1900s) fantasy story with a great cast and an excellent dub.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Well, you guys may like Samurai Champloo. It is done by the same people who made Cowboy Bebop.

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
I don't understand why only a few people on this forum can differentiate between a movie,TV series, or an Ova! Just because this is an anime show doesn't mean that distinction all of a sudden disappears.

It makes it easier tell what kind of show is what. I'm so tempted to make a separate thread about this.

Back on topic.

Monster
serial expiments lain
Kikaider
Blue sub 6
Planetz
Fist of the North Star
Legend of Galactic Hero
Samurai X OVAs
Ergo Proxy
Armored Force Dairugger
Berserk
Record of Lodoss War
Blue Gender
Big O

These are fantastic adult series. start your dad out with Legend of Galactic Hero. It's lenthy, but worth the watch. I would say it's space opera at it's finest. Now I can recommend some movies but these series will keep him busy for a little while. Thanks for playing and have a nice day.

edit: I'm sure you're dad will have more appreciation for a show that he can relate to. Stay away from a series about a bunch of kids in school. Even I try to avoid them.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Fate/Zero. I'll always recommend Fate/Zero to everyone.

And if you get to it now, you may be in time for the sequel Fate/Stay later this year!

Sep 13, 2009
I'm going to second Steins;Gate and FMA:B. I'll also throw in Baccanno! and Trigun. Given that he liked Cowboy Bebop and Avatar I suspect he'd like Trigun.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I'd also suggest Monster, though there really isn't anything 'anime' about it other than being an animated show from Japan. Just a thriller type show set in post-cold war Germany that's good enough that HBO has green lighted filming a pilot for a live adaption.

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
I would try and stay away from the more fan-servicy series like Kill-la-Kill, or completely insane series like Gurren Lagann. These series just may not work for those not accustomed to the flows of anime fully, and may give off the wrong feeling to someone not really privy to that sort of thing, especially older people. I would also stay away from series like Madoka, and I can say the same for something like Steins;Gate as well. Steins;Gate and Madoka both have well done and mature stories (both are in my Top 5 favorites), but there is some otaku pandering in both series that can confuse or turn off those just getting into anime. Now, each person is different, but it is always better to ease newer people into the more ridiculous aspects of anime before you start showing them. XD

For recommendations, here are some safe bets judging by what you listed that he liked from what you showed him.

-Attack on Titan
-Baccano!
-Monster
-Psycho-Pass
-Samurai Shamploo
-Eden of the East
-Trigun
-Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
-Outlaw Star
-Rurouni Kenshin (First two seasons only)

These are all rather safe bets for people just getting into the anime scene, especially for older audiences. I would try Psycho-Pass or Attack on Titan first. Psycho-Pass because it is similar to Ghost in the Shell, but a lot more devious, and Titan goes without saying. That is probably one of the best new launching point series to come around in a long time.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Coming directly from watching Jojo with the dad...

I (and my father likely would also) recommend watching Gurren Lagann, Baccano!, Trigun, Space Dandy, Samurai Champloo, and Psycho Pass... and Jojo because biased.
Shows that have a sort of western appeal behind them are generally perfect for dads.

I also personally recommend watching FMA: Brotherhood. It's world, characters, and plot are nicely paced enough that your dad won't even notice he plowed through 60+ episodes.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Monster is good, though it is 70 something episode over 5 seasons. Though by the end pretty much everything is explained and wrapped up.

Also second Bacanno!, which a very nice short series(13 episodes, with another 3 which are optional).

If you can take dark storylines, Black Lagoon is really good. Some really good(if over the top) action scenes reminiscent of Cowboy Bebop, but set more or less in the modern day. Again, the show is generally dark and the Hansel and Gretel arc is practically heartbreaking. It's about 30 eps over 3 seasons, almost entirely broken up into neat story arcs(there's one or two stand alone eps early in the show as well).

If you're into crazy mind games, Death Note is quite entertaining. Genuis-level, Idealistic High School Kid finds a magical notebook that allows him to kill anyone by writing their name down.He decides to become God(by killing all the people he finds morally objectionable). A private detective decides to hunt him down to end his killing spree. The two spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to make the other one slip up. 37 episodes over two seasons(There's a couple live action movies, the first two more or less cover a lot of the same ground as the series, and the third is a side story).

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
Have you considered a feature length film, rather than episodes? Evangelion 2.0, Redline, etc.