Recommend some mystery games

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
This thread is exactly what it says on the tin. I'm on a major mystery binge lately and need me some games.

The platforms I have available are Xbox 360, Nintendo DS and a laptop that can't run anything more than taxing than Diablo 2. So PC games would have to be old ones. And before anyone gets smart and tries to recommend Professor Layton, don't. I've already played them, plus they're puzzle games. There's a difference.

Odds are this thread will just throw up old point-and-click games, but that's kind of what I'm after. So yeah... go nuts.

Not really sure what else to say so here's a pictue of a dog in a hat.

piplink

Mar 11, 2011
there are some shirlock holmes games on steam for cheap. i got "the awakened - remasterd" and i loved it.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
The only one I can think of is Shadow of Destiny, you have to solve how you died each chapter. You go back and forth in time as well. It's on PS3 PS2, PSP, and PC (and Xbox).

Shotgunbunny

Jun 2, 2006
For an old PC, the game Fahrenheit springs to mind. AKA Indigo Prophecy.
The first half of the game is pretty awesome, the latter, not so much sadly.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
What about Hotel Dusk on DS? I've not played it myself but always wanted to, not sure if it's mystery exactly but I've always thought it looked mystery-ish.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
Nier. Nuff said

Locomotion is a pretty nifty game you can get on the PC for cheap. Made by the same guy who did Roller Coaster Tycoon.

Oh and Roller Coaster Tycoon (but not 3)

Autumnflame

Sep 18, 2008
Mummy, tomb of the pharoh is an older but enjoyable mystery/archeology.

hugo's house of horror series

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Ghost Trick. It's more of a puzzle solving with a mystery story that will blow your mind in the end. It's not the professor layton kind of puzzles either, it has it's own mechanics that tie in with the story.

If you want a point and click 999 is kind of like that and a mystery novel. Note I said novel, you have been warned.

Tomany2

Jun 17, 2008
efAston said:
Penumbra. Penumbra Penumbra Penumbra.
I agree, But the Penumbra series, as well as Amnesia, both have Mystery elements, but are first and foremost a horror game! But there is ALOT of puzzle and problem solving in them to unravel the mystery... and your PC should be able to run them

Meredith999

Jul 24, 2011
Discworld Noir for PC. Probably counts as mystery, improves if you know Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammet books.

Gregg Lonsdale

Jan 14, 2011
Flesh: It's a free sourcemod horror game with a fair bit of mystery surrounding it. should run okay on your lappy
Really though most horror games have mystery elements. It might be correct to say that horror is a mystery sub-genre (in terms of gaming at least). It's important for horror games to leave the player confused about what is happening to them, because any knowledge is comforting in a survival situation. That's why the less you see of any enemy in a horror game the better, because you can't begin to learn about it or understand what it is or how to deal with it. This is where Amnesia succeeded and Dead Space absolutely failed. And of course as you progress through the game you learn more about the situation you're in and gain an understanding by the conclusion so that you don't leave feeling unfulfilled and confused, which sounds mystery-game enough to me.

Back on subject, have a look for Tim Schafer's Grim Fandango on PC (should be available as freeware by now). I haven't played it but I understand it's a mystery/adventure game.

SycoMantis91

Dec 21, 2011
Dragon Age 2. More of a "find the plot" kinda game.

I know the DA2 bashing is old by now, but I just had to.

York_Beckett

Sep 23, 2010
Shadow of Memories. It'll mess with your mind, that's for sure. It's a little bit old, and it should run on most computers

Another one I enjoyed was Midnight Nowhere, a basic point-and-click for the PC. While some of the translations are pretty awful, it's definitely worth checking out for the mystery alone. A little newer, might not run on slightly older computers.

Also, while not fully within the genre, I'd recommend Deadly Premonition for the 360. While the combat is a bit "unsteady", the story and exploration constantly leaves you wanting more. It's worth playing for that alone.

Gray Matter for PC and Xbox 360. The controls aren't the best, and some of the puzzles are a little bit easy, but that's not why you play it, right? It's for the story. Definitely check this one out if that's your thing.

Pathologic for the PC; while it does contain some gunplay and hand-to-hand combat, it's mainly a very bizarre mystery/adventure game set in a highly original world. A little bit dated in terms of graphics and with some truly awful translations (there is a patch for that), but it's a solid game. That being said, I'm not sure it would run on your computer or not.

Last one; Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth for PC and Xbox (it should work on the 360.) The storyline is full of mystery and intrigue, and even though the gameplay is mostly made up of stealth and FPS-combat, it never seems to break the flow of the game. It works well together, and should not be missed. It does have a lot of technical issues on both PC and Xbox, but it's nothing that'll completely ruin the game (it didn't for me anyway.)

kabooz18

May 27, 2009
Phoenixmgs said:
The only one I can think of is Shadow of Destiny, you have to solve how you died each chapter. You go back and forth in time as well. It's on PS3, PSP, and PC.
"Shadow of Memories" is the title for the rest of the world also it's on PS2 not PS3
and there is an XboX version IIRC, also the game is great with multiple endings a real mystery as who the killer is and why he kills as mystery games go it's one of the best^^