Recommendations: Anime to Avoid

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
the_green_dragon said:
BNguyen said:
I think a better thing for the OP would be to post genre's or story archetypes that he doesn't like, otherwise this whole post is like shouting into the dark and expecting directions on how to get through
but as for recommendations: there are very few that I actually dislike since I have a huge collection.
but I think Gunslinger Girl so far is the only one to avoid simply because it felt a little slow to me other than that, there's not really much that I wouldn't recommend
I watch anime with my Wife so she loves girl animes like Host CLub and fruits basket.
I watch them with her but when I'm with friends I watch stuff like Cowboy Bebop and Trigun.
I also enjoyed Fullmetal alchmist (have not seen brotherhood yet), death note, wolf's rain and to a lesser extent claymore (weird ending but otherwise good) and ghost in a shell.

I wanted to know what animes were just plain bad and I should stay clear of;
My main example was Gantz: Really slow, Hopeless Story, Crap Ending.
Another one I would avoid is Hack sign: the whole thing just seemed to drag on too much, plus the main character seemed like a big whiney baby.

Since you have a large collection prehaps you could give me some to stay away from?
See therein lies some of the problem with watching anime.

In order to find out what's REALLY good or just plain stupid, you need to do your homework.

FMA actually was made to capitalize on the manga and strays. For whatever reason (I dunno, maybe because they got really popular really fast) FMA manages to pull off something amazing despite having gone off the tracks from the original story.

You mentioned you saw Claymore. Here's an example of "needing to do your homework" Riding on the opening success of the Claymore Manga, they made the anime. If you don't know, the manga is still going on. Thus the ending you see in the anime is rushed and incomplete with zero closing.
The Claymore anime is a cash cow that milks the first 7 or so books of the manga and dies off when there's nothing else to be done. It's sad really, because Claymore is really awesome (though I think it's getting a bi long now, but I haven't kept up with it)

The same can be said for Gantz. While I have to admit it was it's uniqueness that drew me in, the ending is again rushed in order to capitalize on what was (probably, I assume, because Gantz is a full length anime) a popular manga.

Tokko (considered horror) does this also. No real closure despite decent build up.

If there's anyhting you're unsure of, check and see if there's a manga correspondent, when it was published (before or after the anime) and whether or not the manga is still going. This'll give a pretty good idea what to see and what not to see.

This is also why Bleach, Naruto and One Piece (as well as Shounen Jump the publisher) all bought new hovering sky fortresses.

Dan Stillman

May 22, 2010
Anime recommendations huh? Well your wife (or possibly you!) may like Clannad and Clannad After Story, it's a drama. I bawled my eyes out and liked it :)

Chobits is a really good one too which I advise for both you and your wife!

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
Definitely School Days. I watched it out of curiosity, and it was alright up until the final few episodes where you're just sat there thinking "WHAT THE HELL!?!?". Fucked up to say the least.

Anoni Mus said:
This topic is useless unless you say more about your preferences.

Because people here are saying anime they don't like not anime almost everyone don't like. Seeing Clannad, Welcome to the NHK or Spice and Wolf here is plain absurd, even if some people doesn't like, they are both really good.

So, post your animelist or say the types you hate and then we can help you.
Or maybe people just didn't think they were that good?

the_green_dragon

Nov 18, 2009
Anoni Mus said:
This topic is useless unless you say more about your preferences.

Because people here are saying anime they don't like not anime almost everyone don't like. Seeing Clannad, Welcome to the NHK or Spice and Wolf here is plain absurd, even if some people doesn't like, they are both really good.

So, post your animelist or say the types you hate and then we can help you.
I've mentioned a few that I have liked and disliked in previous posts so I won't repeat myself. The main point is when someone says I hate so and so without saying why I can't really use that info. When people say I hate so and so because... then I take that on board before I go and buy it.

I like most animes as long as they don't go on forever or have really sudden and stupid endings.

Brutalis317

Aug 12, 2010
@Thaius

Wow, let me first say i'm glad you like the Trigun series as I do. But what made you not like the ending? I mean sure they left it open but I personally thought it was done quite nicely. I would really like to hear your take on the ending and why you disliked it so much.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
shaun1788 said:
A great an smart anime, just needs a third season and the DVDs out here in Australia
and mabey even a romance plot between Horo and lawrence (or what his name)
Oh, it's there, just subtle, and remember
the end of the second season?
One of my favorite animes....

Eijarel

Jul 13, 2010
F*** it, listening to everybody else's recommendations ultimately confuse you even more, truth be told almost all anime in existence is bound to be hated/loved by difference in taste, don't turn this thread into /a/ clone.

just find the genre you like, research it slightly
and watch stuff in stream/downloads instead of buying a dvd blindly,

once you find an anime you can honestly say was great, perhaps u might want to own an official copy, or not.

Darkauthor81

Feb 10, 2007
childofbodom said:
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt

Just generally boring and bad, as well as terribly drawn, except in certain scenes.
Oh man I was so disappointed. I love Gainax but that series was a flop.

My contribution..... Ikki Tousen. It claims to be based on the story of the Three Kingdoms but really every scene is bondage, gravity defying boobs, and panty shots. Every. Single. Scene. If the author of the Three Kingdoms could be revived and shown this anime "based" on his work he'd crawl back into his grave.

I've never seen ANYTHING so monstrously disrespectful to the source material.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Baron von Blitztank said:
Neon Genesis Evangelion- The show is good but the end result is VERY confusing and the main character can get very annoying at times.
>.> at times? shinji is a whinny little ***** the whole series, not to mention the rest of the cast is unlikeable, kind glad every one died at the end of that one

i hated Akira to :p to long, an just not very good
Ikkitousen is another you should avoid, its bad Tenjo Tenge dose the same thing, but better

devil hunter Yoko to, don't get me wrong its good, but favservicy

gonna say watch Bleach BUT, get an ep listing to cut out the filler, and anything after EP 310, is filler, even if its in the manga still just filler :p

and if you like your brain, for the love of all thats holy, DO NOT WATCH the Excel Saga, you want silly anime, watch magical shopping arcade abenobashi or cromartie high school (WEIRD show, but far less brain damaging)

temped to say Xam'd to, not bad persay, but o.o can't remember much about other then it was decent

Catfoot

Jul 29, 2009
It's purely opinion really.
For example everyone here is saying Panty and Stocking is terrible, but I loved it. Granted I have a terrible sense of humour...
As a general pointer though, I'd say avoid most things with over 50 episodes, the author usually hasn't planned that far ahead from the beginning and it's just drawn out to cash in. Also, they tend to reach a state of equilibrium where stuff happens without any of the main characters dying, new ones get added in and then killed off. It just gets stale.
I don't watch Naruto but it's exactly what has happened with Bleach :/

You might wanna check out anime-planet, it's got a good community and each anime has a score as a rough guide to how good it'll be.

Catfoot

Jul 29, 2009
the_green_dragon said:
I might sound like a noob but whats a 'fanservice' anime?
Fanservice is basically panty shots, tight tops and plenty of boobs bouncing around, all that perverted stuff.

Jan 22, 2011
get a crunchy roll account and stream some anime to see if you like any 1st, i am not going to recommend any to avoid because that's a matter of opinion and peoples opinion's are like assholes everyone has one but doesn't mean there good. Find out what YOU LIKE on YOUR OWN. Don't rely on others to do it for for you or you will be disappointed in the end.