Recurring game arguments you've noticed

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
They changed it, now it sucks. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyChangedItNowItSucks]
Cases:
- Nooo, don't change my Pokemon! I don't wanna play an RTS! They ruined Pokemon!
- Nooo, now Final Fantasy has belts and zippers instead of real Sword and Sorcery fantasy robes! Final Fantasy is for dumb "hip" kiddies now!
- Majora's Mask is a terrible game. People who like it are just hipsters trying to be different. I can't stand that stupid moon and time limit. Worst Zelda game ever!
- No new Pokemon ever again! The only real Pokemon are the first 150!
- How dare Square make a game that doesn't use turn based combat?! Ruined forever!
- Lara Croft looks good now, therefor ruined forever!

It's the same, now it sucks. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ItsTheSameNowItSucks?from=Main.ptitlezx89c5u5txaj]
- Zelda is so horrible Link is still fighting Ganondorf. Stupid awful Ocarina of Time copycat. Wii Motion Control is terrible despite thousands of proofs of usage showing it works perfectly. This is Twilight Princess all over again Nintendo why are you so horrible?!
- Oh no, another Mario game. It has the same characters, therefor it must be exactly the same as every other game, despite Mario Galaxy not just having different gameplay than most Mario games, but almost every single platformer ever.
- The dumbness of hating Nintendo at all usually falls into this despite pretty much having one of the best track records in all of video gaming for quality(and that's right, better than Valve, Bethesda, and Bioware).
- That includes Pokemon, too. Never different or the same enough for anybody.
- Did I mention pretty much every Nintendo hater falls into this? Despite it being not only completely inane, but so heretical to the video game industry it's like saying "I hate video games, video games are all the same".

"PC gaming is superior to console gaming" in any ways that really matter.
Because, you know, they're not.

"jRPGs aren't RPGs, they just suck and the people that play them are sad virgin outcasts who adore other cultures instead of their own, better culture".
It's a new argument that's popped up in recent years and become quite common as a way of shaming jRPGs. Despite having no legs to stand on. As if games like Persona 4 have no choices or that being a "choose your own adventure" is required to be an RPG. According to this logic, many visual novels are "RPGs".

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
LilithSlave said:
They changed it, now it sucks. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyChangedItNowItSucks]
- Majora's Mask is a terrible game. People who like it are just hipsters trying to be different. I can't stand that stupid moon and time limit. Worst Zelda game ever!
Lol, funny thing, I actually do like Majora's Mask because its so different from the other Zelda games. Same way with Links Awakening. Kinda wish we could see more like that...

adrakonis

Feb 27, 2010
The Obsidian sequel versus it's predecessor argument. There are always people who prefer the Story of the one over the story of the other.

Obsidian bugs versus Bethesda bugs. Probably caused by fallout.

Oh and I like the way this thread is just beginning to be a thread with random gaming arugments in it...

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Actually I've heard quiet a few arguments that A game lets you use X as a weapon or do X move and that makes it cool. After learning how about the scripting, modeling, and work that goes into making a weapon and how easy it is in comparison to an entire game, weapons mean nothing to me.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
That Skyrim wasn't "the ultimate RPG"

Grow up people.

Nothing is perfect

Also, I HATE the argument that any new Pokemon made automatically is bad. No exceptions.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Nigh Invulnerable said:
I think the best response to most of the "arguments" being mentioned thus far is simply The Dude
snip
Isn't there a point where something can be objectively bad? I think people use the 'well that's your opinion' argument too much on these forums. You could just say that about everything and there would be no standards for anything ever.

'If someone said 'Well I like Big Rigs over the road racing and therefore it's just as good as Skyrim!'

for example...
Oh my, I would like to just personally thank you for saying what I've been thinking for quite a while.

It's become so common for people to dismiss any critique someone may have on something by simply, and condescendingly, saying, "Well, whatever. That's just your opinion." As if they're implying no one can objectively critique something.

Most of the time, this "it's just your opinion" statement comes from someone who is either so fervent in their love of something they are unwilling to admit to it's faults or they can't think of a good counter-argument and therefore decide to just act demeaning towards you.

As for the topic at hand, I could list quite a few things I'm sick of hearing about, but most have been listed. So I'll just add these:

* "Games can't be art because..."
* "Regenerating health, iron sights, and cover systems saved FPS games."
* "Skyrim is the most amazing game ever because..."
* "There is nothing wrong with piracy, as long as you....."
* "Gamestop isn't being a colossal douche bag when it sells us used games at a price only 5 dollars less than full price, after it bought those games from someone for only 5 bucks."
* "Consoles are clearly better because, as Ubisoft recently said, PC gamers are all thieves."
* "PCs are the better platform because of better hardware."
* "All those bugs/flaws/glitches/poor design choices in don't matter because I can do that one fun thing in it!"
* "I don't understand how anyone can like "
* "All DRM is bad because..."

The latter of which is laughable to me as many of those that say it wish we could go back to disk-based gaming only. Seemingly forgetting that most of the time those "disks" required CD keys to install. I.E. an early form of DRM.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Mr.Squishy said:
Blood Brain Barrier said:
"Point and click adventures are boring"

Um.. what? They're just not. Well okay, some of them can be, but they're no more likely to be boring than a game where you walk around with a gun stuck to your torso shooting stuff. I've played a lot more shooters and rpgs which sent me to sleep than I have adventure games.
I'm sorry, but no. 99% of point and click adventures are mind-numbingly tedious, making you traipse all over every area in the game slowly tracing your pointer over every damn pixel to pick up more arbitrary sh*t to rub on every stationary object in the world in hopes of finally hopping onto the developer's specific train of bizarro-logic to progress the plot. It's like hunting fo the unpause button on the dvd remote when you're trying to watch a movie. Not to mention most of the plots and jokes fall very flat for me, and the alleged deep characters are shallower than drowning-proof kiddy pools. The only reason anyonne ever plays them these days is nostalgia for the time when those were the best games we had. It's the same reason everyone's of the opinion that music peaked around the time when they were the most suspectible to sappy love songs.
TL;DR: I would rather play MW3 than Monkey Island
The characters and plot in most adventure games are, in a lot of cases, head and shoulders above most RPGs, shooters and strategy games. Also, if you want to equate playing games with watching movies (which you really shouldn't, but anyway) what difference is there between the pause button being a series of intellectual puzzles and a sequence of gunning down people who are in your way? None whatsoever, except the intellectual puzzles are usually much more clever and interesting.

Note that here i'm saying "usually" and "most" instead of "all" - that's because a lot of adventure games are garbage, just like a lot of games in general are garbage. It's just I've found many adventure games which are higher in quality than games of other genres. Anyone who says "all games of X category suck" is pretty much either mentally impaired or hasn't played a wide variety of games.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
First I'd like to say that "I think it's fun therefore no discussion needed" isn't wrong or bad. Isn't having fun the point of videogames or any other entertainment for that matter? I don't understand this need to prove that what you like is better than what someone else likes and is worthy of that. If opinions could be proven and quantified therefore meaning games could be objectively bad them yeah fair game but as of now this is a pretty petty thing to beat up on someone about.
Something I do notice? Present day games hold your hand/are two easy. Unless its been scripted up the butt like in battlefield 3 where you can lose a mission by catching up to the man as opposed to falling behind in a mission designed to make a thrilling chase I don't think this argument has much validity or scope. Games are far more complex today so throwing up a button prompt or having less trial and error gameplay isn't a bad thing.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
I hate it when people declare a particular argument invalid. So, a good chunk of this very thread. (and by extension, this very post)

But more seriously, I don't appreciate most of the arguments for exclusivity. It doesn't work better on a couch. It's not somehow unsuited to a keyboard. It won't lose it's PC-ness simply because there are 1/5 as many buttons. The truth of all of these portless moments is that it's about the money, and I have every right to feel miffed that part 2 of a good series was not released on a platform I own in a transparent attempt to coax $350 more out of me.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
"I'm having fun, so it's okay," in reference to paying $130 just to play the full version of Spyro, or paying $15 for 3 extra maps in Call of Duty, the latest of which IS ALREADY just a small expansion of the previous Modern Warfare.

This kind of shit is just convincing Activision that it's okay to do what they're doing. Soon it will be half of a game for $60 with another $10 every month to "unlock" more levels.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
omicron1 said:
I hate it when people declare a particular argument invalid. So, a good chunk of this very thread. (and by extension, this very post)

But more seriously, I don't appreciate most of the arguments for exclusivity. It doesn't work better on a couch. It's not somehow unsuited to a keyboard. It won't lose it's PC-ness simply because there are 1/5 as many buttons. The truth of all of these portless moments is that it's about the money, and I have every right to feel miffed that part 2 of a good series was not released on a platform I own in a transparent attempt to coax $350 more out of me.
I hate when people are upset that part 2 of a good series (like, say, Dark Souls) was released on multiple systems when its first iteration was only on one console. Why would you complain about more people having access to this incredible line of games? The fuck, people?