Red Dead: Redemption 2 wish list

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So it's probably common knowledge the game's been delayed til 2018 now, but what do you hope they're using the extra time for?

I loved the first but felt it suffered from Rockstar syndrome; ie fetch-questing, icon chasing and too many cutscene moments where you can't do much besides put the controller down and wait.

I understand there needs to be a narrative, but this time it'd be cool if it was told almost completely during gameplay, outside of plot twisting or pivotal moments.

I also would like to see exploration take a more natural approach where instead of having icons pop up all over the place on a map after someone talks about something, you just do it like they would have back then. The "in-game" map could look like an actual map and you'd mark it up with a pencil or whatever they'd have used. Each encounter and location would gain significance and it would cut down all the bs filler quests.

Character actions would also play a larger, more natural role. Be a good guy and you're more respected, but don't be a push-over lest you be taken advantage of.

You could also be an immoral outlaw that's mostly feared, but would have to watch out for lawmen and be careful of when you went into town. You could take someone hostage in hopes to aid a getaway, or set other diversions like setting cattle loose on a stampede or tie someone to train tracks like before.

This could bring about two main over-arching story paths, but with some level of moral ambiguity depending on how good or bad your actions were. The game would need to start with a theme or goal, and how the character chooses to reach it would determine the overall outcome. There would be no definitive right or wrong ending, only one that could be left up to interpretation.

Along the way you'd be able to recruit people into a posse after enough rapport, and mold them into your image as the leader. Perhaps there would occasionally be a revolt that you'd have to deal with if someone felt you weren't doing a good enough job or you botched one too-many missions.

You could initiate duels as well if you so-chose. Say an NPC was a pos up to no good; all you'd have to do is wait til they're in town (or out yonder for a private, spectator-free encounter) and call them out like in the movies.

Hunting would mean something more than collecting pelts to sell. You'd need to hunt to survive, and skin pelts for better clothing. You could also just buy this stuff but of course it'd cost something and only be at limited locations.

Almost all in-game actions would remain entirely under player control save for the bigger story moments.

Those are just a few ideas. The setting is already exceptionally well done; just tweak the execution into something more dynamic and immersive.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Ezekiel said:
Change the title to Red Dead Damnation and make it about someone becoming bad, the opposite of Marston trying to redeem himself.

Make the slow run the default speed.

Remove auto-aim for everyone.

Dual wielding.

I wanna be able to fire from the hip without zooming with L2 or the right mouse button. Reduce the accuracy if you feel you need to, but don't make it ineffective.

Remove the permanent carry system and make guns temporary pick-ups. You can keep perhaps two pistols and a rifle or shotgun slung over your shoulder, but that's just about it. The rest of the guns, you usually pick up, empty and toss.

Hire better writers and stop trying so hard to be funny. I want fewer cutscenes, less talking and a story that utilizes gameplay. I don't wanna be another errand boy. Let the protagonist(s) act in their own interests. Make them belong to a gang whose actions often benefit everyone in the group. A shorter campaign that doesn't forget most of the characters so quickly.

Plenty of forest and mountainous terrain.

Bigger towns, more settlements and more active inhabitants. I wanna see how the people survive and how they interact as a community. They might be carrying timber, hammering houses, milking cows, washing themselves, pulling teeth. Just watch a few episodes of Deadwood and you got plenty of material.

undeadsuitor said:
Customizable protagonist

I want to be a badass crude outlaw lady
I don't like custom characters. But since Rockstar is doing the whole multiple characters thing now, I'd appreciate a lady outlaw as one of the mains. One who can use her feminine charms to gather info and assassinate people at parties, hiding pocket pistols under her dress, but who also dresses appropriately and isn't afraid to get dirty when she is with her gang or alone in the wilderness.
Basically Josephine Clench?

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
PC version
not as boring as other rockstar games
improve the mediocre gameplay mechanics of rockstar games
no auto aim
no cover system
no regen health
no cow hearding ie worst missions in entire game

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Don't have Dan Houser be the writer, but I suppose that would be asking too much. The characters in both Max Payne 3 and GTA5 were fucking hateful trash.

Also, give the protagonist(s) agency this time. John Marston was a total doormat who just danced to everyone's tune and hardly ever took matters into his own hands, eventhough he's supposed to be this hardened badass.

Other than that, give us aiming controls that don't feel almost completely depended on auto-aim.

InfinityCubed

Aug 22, 2012
1) PC PORT
2) PC PORT
3) PC PORT
4) PC PORT
5) PC PORT
6) PC PORT OF REDEMPTION 1 WHILE YOU'RE AT IT ROCKSTAR
7) Basically stop ignoring your biggest playerbase rockstar you [insert funny insult here]
Edit: also, if there are multiple playable characters, let us make one. Best of both worlds, as it were

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
I'd like to see a return of first person mode similar to the GTA V re-release. It felt a lot more immersive to me and made it worth re-playing. If they do it the same justice with the re-worked animations and slightly tweaked gameplay that would be great.

Also, and I know it's gonna happen anyway, but maybe don't totally drop the singleplayer after release to focus on the multiplayer.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
Ezekiel said:
Change the title to Red Dead Damnation and make it about someone becoming bad, the opposite of Marston trying to redeem himself.

Dual wielding.
top suggestions.

The auto-aim killed the game, in fact I hated it all round if I'm honest.

Can see the potential, but 2 needs to be far better IMO.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
More creepy stuff. Like, Fallout 3 creepy, where its not a horror game, but sometimes...things were just creepy. RDR 1 had some of that, I kind of hope for more, and not with a zombie DLC mind you.

And also character customization. Can still be a specific person with a background and voice and name, but that doesnt mean I cant customize their looks. Im talking -atleast- GTA San Andreas level, preferably more.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Only thing I want? A really good night time sky box. theres no light pollution in the old west, I want to see what I cant see outside my house at night because I live in the suburbs.

Samtemdo8 said:
Ezekiel said:

Dual wielding.

I wanna be able to fire from the hip without zooming with L2 or the right mouse button. Reduce the accuracy if you feel you need to, but don't make it ineffective.

Remove the permanent carry system and make guns temporary pick-ups. You can keep perhaps two pistols and a rifle or shotgun slung over your shoulder, but that's just about it. The rest of the guns, you usually pick up, empty and toss.

Hire better writers and stop trying so hard to be funny. I want fewer cutscenes, less talking and a story that utilizes gameplay. I don't wanna be another errand boy. Let the protagonist(s) act in their own interests. Make them belong to a gang whose actions often benefit everyone in the group. A shorter campaign that doesn't forget most of the characters so quickly.

Plenty of forest and mountainous terrain.

Bigger towns, more settlements and more active inhabitants. I wanna see how the people survive and how they interact as a community. They might be carrying timber, hammering houses, milking cows, washing themselves, pulling teeth. Just watch a few episodes of Deadwood and you got plenty of material.

undeadsuitor said:
Customizable protagonist

I want to be a badass crude outlaw lady
I don't like custom characters. But since Rockstar is doing the whole multiple characters thing now, I'd appreciate a lady outlaw as one of the mains. One who can use her feminine charms to gather info and assassinate people at parties, hiding pocket pistols under her dress, but who also dresses appropriately and isn't afraid to get dirty when she is with her gang or alone in the wilderness.
Basically Josephine Clench?

150 feet woman. The court says, 150 feet.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Not having to tap a button just to run. I mean I can tolerate holding a button to run but tapping it continuously? My goodness that is so annoying.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Don't have Dan Houser be the writer, but I suppose that would be asking too much. The characters in both Max Payne 3 and GTA5 were fucking hateful trash.
Haha, I hate Dan Houser's writing so much I don't think it's possible to dislike a writer more than Dan Houser. I didn't enjoy RDR at all from the writing to the gameplay but I just had to quote and get on that Dan Houser hate train.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Make travelling fun. That's all I ever ask of an open world game. Saint's Row 4, Arkham Knight, Just Cause, as long as I actually enjoy travelling around collecting stuff I won't mind.

Making the gunplay less idiot proof would be great too.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Phoenixmgs said:
Casual Shinji said:
Haha, I hate Dan Houser's writing so much I don't think it's possible to dislike a writer more than Dan Houser. I didn't enjoy RDR at all from the writing to the gameplay but I just had to quote and get on that Dan Houser hate train.
What's so bad about his writing? Never played any of those games in depth.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I like the idea of a more realistic carry system for weapons. You might have one or two pistols on your belt and a rifle or shotgun you can sling on your back. Perhaps with another a long arm you can strap to your horses saddle. So you could have a lever gun and a shotgun but have to pick which one you'd take. Some light weapon customization (there's not a lot they'd do in the west, but things like large lever loops, short/long barrels, ammo holders, custom grips etc).

More realistic calibres too. Not just "pistol" or "revolver" ammo. You might choose a revolver in .44-40 over a differen handgun because it will share ammunition with your lever gun.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Bob_McMillan said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Casual Shinji said:
What's so bad about his writing? Never played any of those games in depth.
I find his writing very bad and also very pretentious (a word I very rarely use). I pretty much hated every character in Max Payne 3, especially Max himself. The worst thing is the game actually thinks it's some classic gritty crime story with its very lengthy cutscenes, its tone, and all its "twists". But you really couldn't care less about the bad guys or who they even are nor do you care for Max or the people you're trying to save. Dan Houser is actually worse than Hideo Kojima at telling over showing. The very first scene of RDR is on a train with a bunch of random characters talking about politics, then when you meet the father of the chick that saves Marston at the start of the game, the first thing they talk about is politics. At least Kojima is self-aware and knows he's writing B-movie grade material and fills it with heavy amounts of cheese and camp. Houser thinks his writing is so important he hits you over the head with it over and over again because he thinks you won't "get" his very important messages and social commentary. The Errant Signal video on GTA5 and his commentary of the torture scene is exactly Dan Houser's writing in a nutshell.