Red Dead Redemption For PC Appears on Windows Website

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Red Dead Redemption For PC Appears on Windows Website

The Windows Compatibility Center is hinting that Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption might finally be coming to the PC.

Red Dead Redemption is perhaps not the greatest game Rockstar has ever released, but it clearly did a lot of things right: We rated it 5/5 in our 2010 review [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/7607-Review-Red-Dead-Redemption], after all. One thing it did not do, however, is appear on PCs - but that may be about to change.

As spotted by the watchful eyes of Reddit [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=817207], Red Dead Redemption has appeared on Microsoft's Windows Compatibility Center, a site that "lists thousands of the most popular apps and devices to help you easily identify what will or won't work with various versions of Windows," according to its FAQ. The site also states that in order to be listed, software must be submitted by a proper representative of the publisher, along with information allowing Microsoft to verify its legitimacy.

That's a long way from an official announcement but the entry hasn't yet been taken down, and Rockstar did drop a hint [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125840-Rockstar-May-be-Making-PC-Ports-of-Its-Latest-Games] last year that a PC version of the game might be in the works. E3 is just a month away - could Rockstar be cooking up a surprise for June?

Source: Windows Compatibility Center [http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/ProductDetailsViewer?Type=Software&Name=Red+dead+redemption&ModelOrVersion=&Vendor=Rockstar+Games&Locale=1033%2C2057%2C3081%2C4105%2C16393&LastSearchTerm=red%2Bdead%2Bredemption&BreadcrumbPath=red+dead+redemption&TempOsid=Windows+7]

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
4 years, it's been.

That's a very long time to finally get around to making a PC version, especially since Rockstar don't take that long making PC versions of their other games.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
I have no interest in this title anymore... seriously, 4 years, unless they are selling it at a severely reduced price with all the DLC (so about £10) I am not interested.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Probably the best Rockstar game ever made, IMO.

But yeah, I agree with the other posters - 4 years is way too long of a gap. No one cares at this point.

They might as well focus their efforts on a PC port of GTA V.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Wow, I've been waiting for so long for this to happen, it almost feels like it's too late. The interest has waned. My list of games to play has long since morphed and expanded and thereby pushed this title out of relevancy. I'm not sure if I would buy into it now. There is too much other exciting stuff waiting for me.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
IceForce said:
4 years, it's been.

That's a very long time to finally get around to making a PC version, especially since Rockstar don't take that long making PC versions of their other games.
Stranger's Wrath released in 2004 on the original Xbox, the PC version got released in 2010, 2012 if you count the HD version.

Brütal Legend, from 2009 and got released on PC last year.

Lords of Shadow, from 2010 and it got released on PC last year too.

One thing I've learned from PC ports, is that it's never "late" to port any game to PC :)

LovsBatl

Oct 14, 2009
It's never too late. A great game doesn't become irrelevant after 4 years.
I'm looking forward to this, whenever it may appear :)

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
SKBPinkie said:
4 years is way too long of a gap. No one cares at this point.
I don't understand this logic. 4 years is not a long time to lose interest in something that you didn't have the opportunity to experience. The game still looks better that a lot of PS3/Xbox 360 games and it plays well too. It can only look better on the PC.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
SKBPinkie said:
4 years is way too long of a gap. No one cares at this point.
I don't understand this logic. 4 years is not a long time to lose interest in something that you didn't have the opportunity to experience. The game still looks better that a lot of PS3/Xbox 360 games and it plays well too. It can only look better on the PC.
Isn't this the same logic for every game in response and return though?, some people are just burn out on hope or have played the game by now.

For those that haven't well that's a fault of their own, it'd be like a PC player saying "wow you've not played a PC game because you didn't bother to build/buy a PC?", but replace that with by now a cheap console.

To me it was a great game 4 years ago, today I just don't see it getting any more interesting, mods aren't going to make it factually amazing, it only applies to those that like the mods in general, the original game was great on it's own anyway.

All I can see possibly coming from this if it did actually release is the glorification of a texture and (like the recent Crysis one as a prime example)resolution mod.

I understand the logic perfectly, I also understand what you're trying to say but really it has been 4 years now and 4 years can be long in gaming time, just look at Skyrim and 2008 titles, when a game is at least 4-6 and onwards it's seen as old by many, to those that haven't even experienced it, probably not to them.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
Will buy in a heartbeat, provided they aren't going to be charging $60 for it.

Already have it on PS3, no sense paying full price twice.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
It doesn't matter how long I have to wait for PC port..I will play it if it gets ported and if it won't I won't simple as that.

I waited 12 years for Diablo 3 so having to wait for games to come out is a non issue (I do realize that the phrase has nothing to do with the "PC port" fact, but still).

Soulrender95

May 13, 2011
I'd prefer a sequel personally, but a port is good news all the same because it at least means Rockstar hasn't forgotten about the brand entirely, it's a shame it's taken this long but hopefully this means that it will be a better quality port than Gta 4 was.

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
On the one hand, yay, my PS3 version was scratched to hell so not only is there a possibility of playing it again but playing it with mods no less. On the other hand, if it releases (with DLC) for anything more than thirty, it'll be a generous Steam Sale when I finally get it. Since you don't pa $60 for a four year old game no matter how great it is.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Dear gawd I hope this is real, I missed out on the console versions. This will be cool (and cheaper)

evilnancyreagan

May 1, 2014
This game used to be one of the only reasons I was sad that my xbone jr crapped in the sheets. I never saw the point in paying a premium for a sub-par experience, a truly good game ages like a fine wine.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Remember how awful GTA IV's and Max Payne 3's optimization was? I bet they waited that much so the computers got more powerful and could run this thing.

ThatQuietGuy

May 22, 2013
Four years is probably too little to late if you were waiting on the port but it's never too late to port a great game.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I'll still buy it if it actually comes to PC. I love the game and think as long as the PC port turns out well enough, it would be worth the payment.