Red Dead Redemption's Awesome Launch Trailer Rides Into Town

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Red Dead Redemption's Awesome Launch Trailer Rides Into Town

Grab your six-shooter and gather up a posse: It's Red Dead Redemption time.

As hard as it is to believe, Rockstar San Diego's long-awaited open-world Wild West game Red Dead Redemption [http://www.amazon.com/Red-Dead-Redemption-Xbox-360/dp/B001SH7YMG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276716945&sr=1-1-spell] is just a few short days away - and to celebrate (and get us all pumped), Rockstar has unleashed the launch trailer on the internet.

Frankly speaking, it looks amazing. Obviously, we won't know how good John Marston's journey of redemption and revenge is until we get our hands on it (though Susan Arendt quite enjoyed it [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99543-PAX-East-2010-Hands-On-Red-Dead-Redemption], but after this trailer? Consider me pumped way the hell up.

You know, I'm going to indulge my curiosity here for a moment: I know we have a lot of readers based outside of North America in Europe, Australia, and the like. Part of why Red Dead Redemption personally appeals to me is because the whole "Wild West" era has a really iconic place in American pop culture. The idea of an open world game in which you can experience that "Showdown at High Noon"-style life is really intriguing.

Obviously, it isn't part of your own national history if you're outside of North America, but does it still have that same draw? How do you guys see the Wild West from an outsiders' point of view, anyway?

But I digress: Red Dead Redemption looks excellent, and it's out next week on May 18th (NA) and May 21st (PAL). Don't miss it.

Cgull

Behind You
Oct 31, 2009
That looks incredible. Makes me rest slightly easier considering I pre-ordered it yesterday and have spent today wondering if it was the right thing to do, kudos on the timing!

As for my view of the Wild West, I'm from the UK but cowboys are still awesome, I think they probably are no matter where you hail from.

Wonder if there'll be any Brokeback Mountain style cowboy-ing....maybe a minigame?

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Looks awesome, I am very interested in how well/intuitive shooting/ really doing anything on horseback is going to be.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
It's funny how a couple of trailers and a bit of text has made me really want this game.

I mean, I remember the game was set to be a failure, and now BOOM, looking epic.

GTAIV was fun and all, but I could never get past a certain car mission, the games focus on vehicles made me bore to death. NOW THIS, this looks fun! Cowboys in an awesome alive world, this is a game I will try to pick up.

cononking

Jun 16, 2009
Putting aside Louis L'Amour and Zane Grey, much of Wild West's most memorable mythology seems to have been generated by Hollywood. Speaking as a Brit, while we don't have ranches and cowboys over here, I have seen enough Westerns for this game to strike a chord with me. Will definitely pick it up.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I got this baby pre-ordered and ready to roll!
I've even booked off the WEEK of May 31st in celebration!
I also had a bunch of vacation days I had to 'use or lose'...but whatever.
Yeeeeeehaw!

DC1

Jun 8, 2009
Yeah, I have to remember to pre-order tomorrow on my way home from school.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
Actually the wild west is probably as relevant to a Europeans past as an Americans.

Personally I hated westerns as a child but as an adult I developed a whole new appreciation of them with their struggles and redemptions and it being the last time a man had real control over his own destiny.

It's the one place I'd choose to live if I had a time machine. Doc Brown had the right idea, dang that Mad Dog Tannen!

I just hope that this game gives someone an idea to make an MMO out of it.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
The Wild West is so unappealing to me...
Crap weapons for one, and it was completely different from what the general publics thinks it knows about it.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Excellent trailer. Can't wait for release.

I'm Dutch, so I don't come from a country with a legacy of outlaws and gunslingers (quite the contrary). However, I did grow up with Sergio Leone, Clint Eastwood and Ennio Morricone. Once upon a time in the West is still one of my favorite movies. You bet I'm excited about this game! Preordered the limited edition weeks ago.