Reddit going into a blackout

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

I've tried looking into this myself but it's hard to find information and even when I can, it's difficult to parse out what it means. Apparently it's something about how Reddit uses software and payments to people that makes apps for it and the relationship with mods, etc. Because of that, many, MANY subreddits have gone into private mode or read only mode to protest whatever is going on.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

I've tried looking into this myself but it's hard to find information and even when I can, it's difficult to parse out what it means. Apparently it's something about how Reddit uses software and payments to people that makes apps for it and the relationship with mods, etc. Because of that, many, MANY subreddits have gone into private mode or read only mode to protest whatever is going on.
So it's a protest, Reddit is going to start or increase charges for third party apps to makes API calls to the reddit servers. For users it basically means they can't use third party apps that work as a replacement for reddit mobile which kinda sucks, the reason the mods are all in protest is that there's third party apps that automate a lot of moderator function so it's going to make their jobs harder. That's my basic understanding of it. Weirdly reddit seems to be broken atm. About an hour ago it stopped loading all together. The CEO announced "LOL" essentially because the owners can just reenable the subs any time they want making it a pretty weak protest.

I'm mildly annoyed, but I don't have a dog in the fight.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
iirc reddit is trying to go public soon so they need to appear more profitable for the IPO. I think the owner is just trying to cash out and doesn't really care if reddit goes down burning afterward.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Would suck if it went down. I don't use it myself, but appending Reddit to any search engine queries is the only way to still get decent results.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
So it's a protest, Reddit is going to start or increase charges for third party apps to makes API calls to the reddit servers. For users it basically means they can't use third party apps that work as a replacement for reddit mobile which kinda sucks, the reason the mods are all in protest is that there's third party apps that automate a lot of moderator function so it's going to make their jobs harder. That's my basic understanding of it. Weirdly reddit seems to be broken atm. About an hour ago it stopped loading all together. The CEO announced "LOL" essentially because the owners can just reenable the subs any time they want making it a pretty weak protest.

I'm mildly annoyed, but I don't have a dog in the fight.
Would suck if it went down. I don't use it myself, but appending Reddit to any search engine queries is the only way to still get decent results.
There is the possibility that if reddit goes down, or at least has a mass exodus, that we might get a surge of new people to the forums that are looking for a place to talk about stuff.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Yep. Been unable to get onto 3 of my favourite subreddits.

Reddit tried to jack up the price of its basic API functionality-- that countless boards use-- by thousands of percent in some cases.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There is the possibility that if reddit goes down, or at least has a mass exodus, that we might get a surge of new people to the forums that are looking for a place to talk about stuff.
I know they're a good people on reddit, but I really don't need about a thousand of them coming over here. If it gets completely shut down. While Reddit does have its good users, there are plenty of other ones that either act like obnoxious douchebags, or just completely toned deaf socially. I know The Escapist will do a good job, but I just hope we don't have too many noisy jerk offs. If this ever happens.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I know they're a good people on reddit, but I really don't need about a thousand of them coming over here. If it gets completely shut down. While Reddit does have its good users, there are plenty of other ones that either act like obnoxious douchebags, or just completely toned deaf socially. I know The Escapist will do a good job, but I just hope we don't have too many noisy jerk offs. If this ever happens.
I honestly kinda get the impression the forums are intentionally obscured. I noticed none of the content creators advertise the forums and nothing ever gets updated. I recall asking about it once and getting blown off. I suspect if people actually started using the forums again it would too much of a hassle to manage and they'd just shut it down.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I honestly kinda get the impression the forums are intentionally obscured. I noticed none of the content creators advertise the forums and nothing ever gets updated. I recall asking about it once and getting blown off. I suspect if people actually started using the forums again it would too much of a hassle to manage and they'd just shut it down.
And that is a big warning sign of why I don't really trust Reddit at all. The DMC subreddit used to be a decent place, but first got ruined when the "reboot" was announced way back in 2010. When the actual game came out, everything was on fire, and it took a good while for everything to cool down. When DMC5 got announced and was first released, things were good at first from what I heard, but it didn't stay that way for long. It got to the point where the moderators encourage users acting like jerks and only posting about dumb or already tired memes, instead of talking about characters, story, lore, or advanced gameplay. A couple of users on the DMC forums mentioned this to me.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Might be nice to have more than like the dozen or so of us that post here. So we can remain cautiously optimistic.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
And that is a big warning sign of why I don't really trust Reddit at all. The DMC subreddit used to be a decent place, but first got ruined when the "reboot" was announced way back in 2010. When the actual game came out, everything was on fire, and it took a good while for everything to cool down. When DMC5 got announced and was first released, things were good at first from what I heard, but it didn't stay that way for long. It got to the point where the moderators encourage users acting like jerks and only posting about dumb or already tired memes, instead of talking about characters, story, lore, or advanced gameplay. A couple of users on the DMC forums mentioned this to me.
The madness of crowds. Or as I like to say, "I hate people. I love persons, but I hate people."

Reactions: Dalisclock and Kwak

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Does that mean that sites that host images or videos are affected as well? Reddit would be a pretty sad place without imgur.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Hopefully Reddit dies, it's one of the worst sites on the Internet. I never could stand the site and how the replies were arranged by likes and how you have to click several times just to see a whole thread. And that's not even mentioning how the mods run the site so horribly.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
Hopefully Reddit dies, it's one of the worst sites on the Internet. I never could stand the site and how the replies were arranged by likes and how you have to click several times just to see a whole thread. And that's not even mentioning how the mods run the site so horribly.
For mainstream subs this holds true, but the more niche subs were a nice source of information. Adding "reddit" to a google search when looking up tabletop or graphic novel stuff would usually yield good results.

Well, it seems most of the subs have ended their blackout. Oh boy, good job guys, two days of protest will certainly make them change their minds. We did it Reddit!
Seemed like a bit of a trial run, several subs are already polling more permanent blackouts. But it is a weak threat when the subs can be unlocked and left unmoderated regardless of the intentions of the sub members.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
You could just not use it rather than hope it dies. Y'know because people like it and you're not the main character.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Well, it seems most of the subs have ended their blackout. Oh boy, good job guys, two days of protest will certainly make them change their minds. We did it Reddit!
Yeah, I cant imagine this leading to anything, particularly if the owner is just cashing out

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
For mainstream subs this holds true, but the more niche subs were a nice source of information. Adding "reddit" to a google search when looking up tabletop or graphic novel stuff would usually yield good results.
Yeah, it has a ton of content and obviously some of it will be good. Yesterday google linked me to reddit about trying to give permissions to an android app where you gotta connect your phone to a computer and do some adb commands in the command prompt because the app's howto was missing the commands. I wanted to see the whole line of replies from a user's post as one of the 1st replies included a list of the commands needed so I wanted to expand the thread to see responses to see if those worked and/or more commands were needed. Clicking to expand the thread to more replies, it removed the 1st reply with said commands so I had to click back again to see that post. It's the worst interface/structure/design for a message board I've ever seen.

You could just not use it rather than hope it dies. Y'know because people like it and you're not the main character.
Or they can fix the horseshit design of their message boards when they're a message board site. It's like getting mad at someone not liking Salesforce for entering in work hours when it's the most horseshit site for entering in work hours. It takes me an hour a month to enter in my hours when the last system took less than a minute.