Reggie Fils-Aime Leaks 3DS Release Date

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
I thought they gave a release date already like March 2011 or something like that. I may be confusing it with that new Star Wars MMO though. Either way I already got enough stashed away to pay for one and will preorder on the first day they start selling them. I got a feeling this thing will fly off the shelves when it becomes available.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
"With this 3D no glasses are required," Fils-Aime joked. "You don't need to look funky wearing those glasses, you don't need the big expensive TV... everything is right here."
The thing about the 3D experience is that I WANT it to be on a big expensive screen and not a square on my hand. I want a picture completely filling my peripheral vision while things that surround me pop in and out. The hoopla on 3D is about immersion and having the senses overwhelmed, which is why the the development is happening with the TVs. A little square in my hand is not immersive, it reminds me I'm in the real world.

And the technology apparently works based a gyroscope. I don't know how it will be applied to a large still screen. So for now I can only expect gimmicky controls and games based on it.

ww2jacob

Mar 21, 2008
I had a chance to try the 3DS out at E3. Well, by "try out" I mean watch the small 3D video they let you see on the device. Honestly I wasn't super impressed. If anything it just seemed like the kind of thing that would make you sick looking at it for very long. If I want 3D, I think a movie theater or living room is the place to have it, not on a mobile gaming device. It's a good thing you can turn it off completely if you want, I guess.

One good thing about the 3DS, though, is that they've finally put a thumbstick on the damn thing. Frankly I'm shocked it's taken them this long...

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Mountains out of molehills. Sure nobody said when the 3DS was going to hit shelves, but I think everyone knew it would at least be next year or early 2012. The earliest anybody could expect it would even be here by holiday this year.

This is basically news out of nothing. Now, if he was a little more specific, I think I would have been a bit more impressed. And the only time Jimmy Fallon sounded excited was when he got his hands on the 3DS.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
How did the rumours/hytpe for it coming out this year start anyway? Personally, I was expecting this as Nintendos normal trick is announce it at one E3, show it in more detail at the next one and then release in time for Christmas. I'm betting and OCtober 2011 release date.

Magic Cheese

Jun 19, 2010
If I'm not mistaken, I remember reading on some site's E3 coverage (either here or on Gamesradar) that the 3DS is due out before the end of the March 2011 fiscal year.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Suskie said:
ProfessorLayton said:
Suskie said:
"Last time I played this was on N64." You sure about that, Jimmy?
Well really he might have been talking about Donkey Kong 64... [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_Kong_64]
I know, I know. But this is still DKC we're talking about.
DK64 may not have been "Country" in title, but it was the last good DK game. Besides, the only real difference between the DKC games and DK64 is that one of them was in 3D where the others were side-scrollers, otherwise they could have easily called the game "DKC64" if they really wanted to and no one would have thought twice about it.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I don't really consider this a "leak". Reggie already stated in an interview with Gametrailers that the 3DS would be out in the US by the end of the first quarter 2011.

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
SICK0_ZER0 said:
The presenter of that show is so fake it's painful to watch. He's obviously been told what to say and has no interest in video games whatsoever.
actually, fallon is a big gamer. its been said repeatedly, and hes regularly had games on his show

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
The extra testing, and development time for all those launch titles, will hopefully ensure that any major issues are ironed out.
I reckon the 3DS might be the thing that finally sells me on 3D. (thus far I remain unconvinced)

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
The more i see of DKC Returns the more i think it's an abomination with none of the character of it's predecessors. Do want the 3DS, though.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Delaying the 3DS will also give Sony more time to prepare a PSP 2 to compete with it.

MissPixxie

Mar 15, 2010
'Well there is a little slider here tha-"
"HOW ARE YOU DOING THAT??!"

...Shut up and listen to the nice man, he knows what he's talking about.

OT: 3DS will hopefully be out first quarter of 2011. Sadly, I was under the impression it would be out for Christmas this year... DAMMIT NINTENDO!

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Plinglebob said:
How did the rumours/hytpe for it coming out this year start anyway? Personally, I was expecting this as Nintendos normal trick is announce it at one E3, show it in more detail at the next one and then release in time for Christmas. I'm betting and OCtober 2011 release date.
Fils-Aime already confirmed that the 3DS would be released in all three regions by the end of this fiscal year, meaning by March 31st 2011.

EDIT: Besides, for any additional showcasing, they still have the Tokyo Game Show in September.