Relationship age gaps?

Pills_Here

Dec 10, 2009
Now I'm sure this topic has come up before but f*** you I'm doing it anyway. What, in your own opinion, is an appropriate age gap for two people in a relationship? How many years between two people is too much? For the sake of discussion let us say that this is limited to of-age adults so we don't waste time on obviously creepy situations like adults dating 12 year olds or any of that Jerry Lee Lewis stuff. This is also something which seems to change over time as well, so that having ~10 years between you is more acceptable for people in their 30-40's than it would be for someone in their 20s. Again, what are your thoughts?

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I think as long as it's legal, it's fine.

You can't pick who you fall in love with, and shame on people who think they have the right to tell others who they can and can't date.

EDIT: I'll clarify before more start quoting me saying the same thing over and over like I'm sure people will...
If both parties are consenting and adults, I couldn't care about the age gap.
It's so incredibly difficult to fall in love at the age of 13/14 not to mention a lot of people aren't sexually, mentally and emotionally mature at that age. Hormones make you want to do stupid things. I don't mean to generalise, but you typically don't know what's good for you when you're underage.
A lot of the time, it isn't love at such a young age. Most don't have the experience or maturity to handle an age gap, but I'm talking dramatic here. I can't see a 13 year old and a 45 year old having much in common.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
If both parties involved are content with the relationship then anything is fine by me, I don't see age as a deciding factor.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
My Nana got engaged to my grandpa when she was 16 and he was 23. They wed a year later and had a long, happy marriage. The fact that only one of them was Catholic would've been considered more unusual at the time.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Smertnik said:
If both parties involved are content with the relationship then anything is fine by me, I don't see age as a deciding factor.
I agree, assuming both partners are mature enough to understand whatever stage their relationship is at and it's all consensual, age shouldn't really factor into a decision, even if in real life it often does since people tend to have a similar mind-set to those close to their own age.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
EeveeElectro said:

You can't pick who you fall in love with, and shame on people who think they have the right to tell others who they can and can't date.
Who gets to decide where the line is drawn? For example, Megan Stammers and Jeremy Forrest ran away together, and she clearly wanted to be with him(she cried when they were caught), but because she was a year too young he is reviled and arrested, and will probably get a horrific sentence and be added to a sex offenders register.

Just to be clear, I do not in any way condone their actions, I'm just saying, why does some random group of people get to draw the line when you say shame on people who tell others who they can and can't date.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
I'm with Jimmy Carr, a girl is too young if you have to make the airplane noise to get your cock in their mouth :|

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Half age +7 until the youngest member is 18, then whatever.
Simple.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Chairman Miaow said:
EeveeElectro said:

Who gets to decide where the line is drawn? For example, Megan Stammers and Jeremy Forrest ran away together, and she clearly wanted to be with him(she cried when they were caught), but because she was a year too young he is reviled and arrested, and will probably get a horrific sentence and be added to a sex offenders register.

Just to be clear, I do not in any way condone their actions, I'm just saying, why does some random group of people get to draw the line when you say shame on people who tell others who they can and can't date.
Well, like I said as long as it's legal it's fine. What they did wasn't legal, as well as her being underage and him being her teacher. Also the fact he was married probably didn't help people be against it...

I don't condone her actions either but I had a sexual relationship with an older boyfriend when I was 15 which wasn't legal because he was over 18 so I can empathise with her.
At that age, you're like "Me and you against the world, baby! fuck what everyone else thinks!"
I think if they did love each other, they could have waited the year until she turned 16 and left school. Maybe they both just wanted a thrill? Who knows?

I suppose the age of consent is what it is because they think you're mature enough to handle a sexual relationship at 16. It's there for a reason, I guess but I'm not too sure why it's the age it is although I have no complaints about it.

EDIT: Just to clarify (sometimes I don't make sense at this time of night...) meant shame on people if they try tell/nag two consenting adults about who they can and can't date as long as they stay within the law.

Wackymon

Jul 22, 2011
As long as they're both in love, and both are mature enough to understand their relationship, they should feel free to do as they wish, even though I might find it really weird.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Age of consent laws are the one and only time I'd give a fuck. And even then it's dubious. If people want to be together, let them have it. Age means very little when it comes to human affection.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
As long as everyone is legal, then age shouldn't be a big deal with relationships, I myself have dated women who have been 7 years older than me and 5 years younger.

A guy that I work with is in his late 50's and is dating a woman 30 years younger than him and the way I hear it, she was the one that went after him. Some women just like the older men.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
EeveeElectro said:
Chairman Miaow said:
EeveeElectro said:

Well, like I said as long as it's legal it's fine. What they did wasn't legal, as well as her being underage and him being her teacher. Also the fact he was married probably didn't help people be against it...

I don't condone her actions either but I had a sexual relationship with an older boyfriend when I was 15 which wasn't legal because he was over 18 so I can empathise with her.
At that age, you're like "Me and you against the world, baby! fuck what everyone else thinks!"
I think if they did love each other, they could have waited the year until she turned 16 and left school. Maybe they both just wanted a thrill? Who knows?

I suppose the age of consent is what it is because they think you're mature enough to handle a sexual relationship at 16. It's there for a reason, I guess but I'm not too sure why it's the age it is although I have no complaints about it.

EDIT: Just to clarify (sometimes I don't make sense at this time of night...) meant shame on people if they try tell/nag two consenting adults about who they can and can't date as long as they stay within the law.
What I'm saying is why is it any different just because it's illegal? The law isn't set forth by some all knowing deity. With something as subjective and case-by-case as this, why does it matter if the law says 16? Why shouldn't a 15 year old you be allowed to do what you want?

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
As long as it's legal and both consent, then it's fine by me. If they truly love eachother, than who am I to tell them that it's wrong? And if it's not legal and they still really love eachother, then surely they could wait a little bit until it's legal.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
We have a joke around here (careful, it's rather sexist and not very politically correct - but it's a joke)

A 60-year old millionaire married a 20-year old girl. His friends go all "You know...in 10 years, you'll be 70 and she will be 30. And in 20 years, you will be 80, and she will be 40." He says "Yeah, so...?" And the punchline: "Well what are you gonna do with an old chick like that?"

*ahem*

One ticket to Hell, please.

Good, now that's out of the way, as long as we have consenting adults involved, the age gap becomes a non-issue. Sure, I wouldn't go for a partner several decades off my age (most likely), but, other people? Hey, not my business what they do in their bedrooms as long as SSC is in effect.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Chairman Miaow said:
-le snip-
I don't know. Like I say though, the laws there for a reason. I suppose the general consensus is that under 16s aren't sexually or mentally mature to handle a relationship like that, but it depends on the person. Under 15 with an over 18 is technically paedophilia, even if consented. I think that's why it's so different to say a 20 year old with a 40 year old. It was annoying for me when I was a 15 year old with a 19 year old -_- I knew I had my head screwed on and thought everything was great at the time. Turned into a pretty shitty relationship after two years, mind.
I suppose the bigger the age gap and younger the girl/guy, the worse it looks. It's just the way most people have had it drilled into them the "half your age plus seven" rule and that adults should stay away from people under 16.

Like you say, it's a case-by-case subject. One couple may genuinely be in love, whereas another couple might consist of one person whose too besotted to realise the other is a manipulative paedophile.
You're not an adult at 15, no matter what someone thinks and a lot of underage teens won't have the maturity to appeal to someone in their 30s/40s/50s for example.
Few people have the experience to make good decisions before they reach adulthood. When I was 15 I thought it'd be a good idea to put my hand against a fish and chip counter and get second degree burns! >.<
If I knew then what I know now, life would have been so much easier but that's life.

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
I was once in a relationship with someone 27 years older than me. I always thought the age gap would be an issue, but it honestly made no difference on how well we related to one another.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
wackymon said:
As long as they're both in love, and both are mature enough to understand their relationship, they should feel free to do as they wish, even though I might find it really weird.
So I have to be in love to hook up with someone's hot mom?

I'm a grown-ass man, I can make mistakes if I wanna.