Release Date and Pricing Plan for Star Wars: The Old Republic Finally Announced

Jun 15, 2009
I don't mean to sound like an elitist douche, but how poor can you guys be? I played WoW for several years (quit now, but 4.3 is tempting), and I'm currently studying at university. I have a part time job where I work maybe, 5-6 hours a week, and I can pay for my subscription with ONE hours worth of work. I don't know if the majority of people on the forum are still on parent's allowances, or the economy is really THAT bad, but I feel like subscription-based gameplay eats face off free-to-play models. This means a level playing ground, with no advantage of one player over another, and (hopefully) consistent content rollout.
Besides, it's BIOWARE guys.

plus2exp

Aug 31, 2011
I wasn't going to spend Christmas with my family anyway, seeing as how I'm an antisocial bastard. I didn't need The Old Republic to be my excuse!

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Artemis923 said:
Never again will I pay monthly to play one just one game.

Especially since it's the same "tank-heal-deepz" routine as WoW anyway.

FUCK monthly subscriptions...greedy bastards.
I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure it wont have the fee for long.
DC is going free in about a month or so.
Aren't most people used to paying a fee for going online with the 360 anyway?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
CriticKitten said:
RobCoxxy said:
Artemis923 said:
How dare they need money to maintain world servers and keep updates and content coming to the game to make it worth playing for longer?

How very fucking dare they?
Yes, because God knows that all MMOs in existence must demand monthly payments out of their customers, or else they couldn't possibly keep their servers running. There's simply no way to fund a game on F2P status, that's why there's no F2P MMOs out there.

Oh, wait, WoW recently changed its early-game to a F2P system purely because of the fact that F2P is more lucrative than a monthly model and allow players to try the game before paying into it, whereas monthly models demand that players pay into a service they haven't tested before and don't know if they'll like or not. And Guild Wars 2, which is likely to have a much larger playerbase than The Old Republic, is going F2P as well. Huh. Imagine that.
How many F2P would you say are even close to being as well maintained as WoW? That monthly subscription makes WoW and other Subscription games much better than most F2P games. Get hacked in WoW, just make a ticket and wait a couple of hours. It'll be fixed. Get hacked in a F2P game, start a new character. Not as great clearly.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
GonzoGamer said:
Artemis923 said:
Never again will I pay monthly to play one just one game.

Especially since it's the same "tank-heal-deepz" routine as WoW anyway.

I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure it wont have the fee for long.
DC is going free in about a month or so.
Aren't most people used to paying a fee for going online with the 360 anyway?
It'll have it's fee. If Subscription models were failing WoW would've become completely free.

MetalMonkey74

Jul 24, 2009
I KNEW IT!!! I knew it would come out when i go on holiday...

*shakes fist to the sky*

why have you forsaken me?!?!?!?!

jacobythehedgehog

Jun 15, 2011
Not too bad, I may pick it up later, the only other 4 MMO's I have played are Wow(which I didn't like) Ragnorok, Aion and Lineage II.

Whispering Cynic

Nov 11, 2009
I'm *not* paying $15 monthly to play a game... fuck that. Simply put, I don't have enough spare time to play to get my money's worth. I'd be literally throwing my hard earned credits out of the window.

erztez

Oct 16, 2009
Issurru said:
P.S I would still take a bullet for ANY of my family members so please don't call me a terrible human being, even though it is true :p
I would PUT a bullet INTO any of my family members, so...where do we go from here? :)
OTOH, Christmas usually consists of me and my dad getting hammered while the women take care of stuff(no clue what stuff, I don't think I've been a part of the preparations since...hmm... '94?).

OT:
Anyone else notice that EUROPE IS GETTING FUCKED OVER AGAIN!?
What the FUCK is it with these people?
IT'S AN MMO, nameless EA marketing goons!
IT SHOULD HAVE A GLOBAL RELEASE!
[/rant]

eh...nevermind, I'll just have to start drinking a few days sooner and when I sober up, I can start playing. Figure 1/4/2012.

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
Game releases on the 20th of December.

First "the endgame sucks" post appears on the 29 hours later by some no life rushtard.

Edit: Oh, nevermind. This is going to be an EA Origin spyware title. No thanks. I'll pass.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Honestly, it was either gonna be Christmas, or GTFO 2011 for them, so I don't really see why there is any drama to be had here at all.

erztez

Oct 16, 2009
MajorDolphin said:
Game releases on the 20th of December.

First "the endgame sucks" post appears on the 29 hours later by some no life rushtard.

Edit: Oh, nevermind. This is going to be an EA Origin spyware title. No thanks. I'll pass.
Actually, afaik, TOR doesn't use Origin other than for distributing its digital version.
So, if you buy a boxed copy, you Origin should never touch your drive.

Also, known spyware(Origin, Steam, whatever) ---> Sandbox.
I just don't see the problem.

Dorian6

Apr 3, 2009
It's actually really clever what they're doing. by releasing it 5 days before christmas, they're giving you a choice. You can either wait in christmas lines at the store, or download it from home off Origin. And as EA has already announced, Origin is the only option for digital download of TOR. They assume that the majority of people will opt for digital download, thus forcing them to join Origin as well. Now, we've all heard about the controversy surrounding Origin, so for that reason, I'm choosing to go the more inconvenient route. The minor annoyance is worth protecting my privacy.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I can't wait to dive into The Old Republic with an Imperial Agent. I am so happy I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Sonic Doctor said:
Aaaarrggh, if only I had the money. I quit WoW to save money, but I don't think I will have enough to get it before or shortly after launch.

If I do play it, it will be after I get a job and I actually start making money. But seeing how getting hired somewhere is one of the hardest things to do these days with stupid employer hiring tactics, I don't see myself getting a job for many more months to come.

If only I could think of something awesome and new to write for the Escapist.
You get a free month with the initial purchase. I'm assuming it is redeemed when you register your copy.

FelixG said:
Chesterfield Snapdragon McFisticuffs said:
Besides, it's BIOWARE guys.
Bioware also gave us DA2. I was in the "They can do no wrong!" boat before they released that steamer.
Yeah it was clearly unplayable and killed women and children.