Reliable Source: Marion Cox Sr. Reveals The Secret Fifth Class in Diablo 3

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
I understand what you're saying, but showing up to say "I still don't find you funny" achieves nothing. If you have constructive criticism or a concrete suggestion, by all means, please offer it, but "be funny in a way I like" doesn't really help much.
Alright, let me try this, then;
How about instead of blatantly giving us the punchline, why not let it stew a bit, give us a little bit more time to appreciate the material, what the joke involves, what the joke required as setup, as opposed to just rushing straight towards it like a hormone-engorged teen? Maybe it's a late night thing, maybe it's a quick throw-together, I don't know, but it feels rushed, and that's killing part of it. Let us immerse ourselves into the content of the joke, enjoying the subtle and the obvious, but, most importatly, enjoying the lead up. The punchline is delivered almost as soon as the opening thought has jumped over the gums and into the ears (or from text to eyes, as the case may be), and that's not enough to really lay it up. Subtle humor is one thing, and blatant is another, but worked with timing they mesh together for a stacked effect--a well placed balls joke can easily fit amongst a complicated pun about new marketing strategies that completely missed their intended audience, but when the line is done by quickly tripping over your entire material, you short-come yourself.

But, when the delivery is right, which it occasionally is, it tends to ruin itself by being more of a personal attack against something personal to the writer than by being a generalization that applies to all of its audience. Personal humor is fine, but only for those that know the individual (and in cases like this where the most we get to know of the person is what he writes for us to read, and little more than that) and in this form, that kind of humor just gets in the way. But, beyond that, the personal humor is a bit too personal, with jokes that the author might chuckle at (and this mainly seems to be the undercurrent of hyper-patriotic-anti-anything-foreign that shows up repeatedly, and often without any cause), but that kind of presentation just make things akward when delivered wrong (like being casually thrown into a serious bit).

Actually, I'll elaborate a bit, for constructive reasons, on that bit; off hand racial or foreign jokes are alright as long as we know you're being ironic about it, but when you flick back and forth between straightface irony and truthful irony, it starts to feel like the offhand jokes aren't as ironic as we might like them to be, which just makes them come off not as sarcastic humor but as grumpy and suppressed intolerance. Yes, you can play either, but you have to stick to it--going back and forth like and ADHD kid stuck between two shiny nickels on opposite sides of the room only begets confusion. Not every line needs to be humorous, and not all kinds of humor need to be pushed in just to pack in more. Take a little time, let the jokes that work with it do what they do to enhance the article, instead of dragging it down and leading to dissatisfaction.

Donrad

Aug 21, 2008
wow this was a great article !!!
rainbowmancer is totally my class.
and ill blissfuly take care of every baddie

Mullahgrrl

Apr 20, 2008
ihatekotaku said:
WISE UP NERDS! BLIZZARD WILL MILK YOU FOR EVERTHING YOU OWN! THAT INCLUDES THE KITCHEN SINK!
Things I never want to experience: Having a sink pass through my udders.

Emperorpeng

Jun 29, 2009
InvisibleMilk said:
Maybe the Rainbowmancer can summon a sunshine ray to increase crop growth.
IN REAL TIME!!!!!!1!!!
Any class that allows you to perform the Care Bear Stare is fine by me!

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
oranger said:
it annoys me that the necromancer isn't in it, seeing as how it was one of the top classes way back in D2, and my personal favorite. But blizz sure as hell has their barbarian and sorceress in there, and their rip off of hellgates' summoner too. (yes, the witch doctor looks to play almost identically to hellgate londons summoner). god the barbarian was boring.
that other guy in this thread is probably right, the paladin is one of blizz's signature classes, and has appeared in most of their games.
The necromancer was always a favorite of mine. I'd start every ladder with one because, but the most popular characters were the "Infinity sorceress" and the hammerdin once high runes could be produced by unrestricted botting.