Remake Retake

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
As someone who never played FF7 I don't quite get this comic. What's up with that reaction?

Rylee Fox

Queen of Light
Aug 3, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
As someone who never played FF7 I don't quite get this comic. What's up with that reaction?
When FF7 was made, the company was simply Squaresoft. Back then their games were almost always really good. Ever since the merger with Enix, they haven't been nearly as good anymore.

The reaction is that the current square-enix will completely ruin the game.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
As far as i can work out, its a general consensus among FF fans that the series was better before the Square/Enix merger.

Even so, i dont see whats up with theese reactions. They have the script pre-written, and lord knows Squeenix loves its excessive HD pixie dust. Seems like as good a match as any.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Cowabungaa said:
The merger happened shortly after Final Fantasy 10 was released which was regarded as the last good game in the series. FF11 is an MMO, 12 underperformed, the less said about 13 the better, etc. The idea is squaresoft can make a good Final Fantasy game, square enix however, can't.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I should be the first to admit, it took a little longer than usual to get this. Silly brain! Stop doing all those anti-brain activities!
So FFVII is really that good then? I never experienced it, so the nostalgia isn't there. Only more modern angsty teen games are what I know. Is 7 like,that?

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
Well, FF7 is quite good and a lot of people remember it fondly.
After the companies Square and Enix merged they drove Final Fantasy into the massive hole it is in now.
And now that company decides to drive the massive bus that FF7 is again and nobody knows if their driving licence is still valid

Joshroom

Oct 27, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
I think the joke is that the company Squaresoft who made FF7 back in the day and the company Square-Enix as it stands today are very different. So the reaction is "yay, the games being remade! All my childhood nostalgia and joy!" and then the realisation "wait a minute, weren't they the guys who also made FF13, FF13-2, FF13 bloody 3 and messed up FF14 the first time they tried it? Ah shit! All my childhood nostalgia and joy!"

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
LordLundar said:
Cowabungaa said:
The merger happened shortly after Final Fantasy 10 was released which was regarded as the last good game in the series. FF11 is an MMO, 12 underperformed, the less said about 13 the better, etc. The idea is squaresoft can make a good Final Fantasy game, square enix however, can't.
Don't forget Sakaguchi, the creator of the series and Nobuo Uematsu, the musical director for almost every Final Fantasy both left to form Mistwalker Studios and produce games like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, both of which play more like traditional FF games.
I personally feel Lost Odyssey is the last great Final Fantasy, just with a different name.

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
Xsjadoblayde said:
I should be the first to admit, it took a little longer than usual to get this. Silly brain! Stop doing all those anti-brain activities!
So FFVII is really that good then? I never experienced it, so the nostalgia isn't there. Only more modern angsty teen games are what I know. Is 7 like,that?
Too an extent, the main character has sorta (unfairly imo) become the poster child for angsty emo protagonist. In the game, Cloud (protagonist) has the tendency to brood but is able to crack wise at times, after some of the spin-off/sequel material came out he sorta defaulted to the angst ridden emo image.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I don't get the second half of this strip. The only reactions I've seen are everyone going nuts in celebration. ...except for mine which is a very sarcastic "whoopty shit."

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
LordLundar said:
Cowabungaa said:
Don't forget Sakaguchi, the creator of the series and Nobuo Uematsu, the musical director for almost every Final Fantasy both left to form Mistwalker Studios and produce games like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, both of which play more like traditional FF games.
I personally feel Lost Odyssey is the last great Final Fantasy, just with a different name.
I have not playe Blue Dragon however I could not agree more in regards to Lost Odyssey. I loved near everything (the kids got on my nerves a bit) about that game. Along with Valkyira Chronicals it was my favorite jrpg of the last gen and far better than anything Square Enix has ever put out.

OT:
I am not going to lie, this is esactly what happened to me. I was super excited for about 5 mins before I remembered that the Square that made 7 is dead and all we have is Square Enix.

gigastar said:
Cowabungaa said:
As far as i can work out, its a general consensus among FF fans that the series was better before the Square/Enix merger.

Even so, i dont see whats up with theese reactions. They have the script pre-written, and lord knows Squeenix loves its excessive HD pixie dust. Seems like as good a match as any.
Can't speak for others of cause but I don't trust SE not to change things.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
gigastar said:
They have the script pre-written
And retconned to death in all the rest of the compilation, in Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus and Crisis Core. It seems incredibly unlikely that they'll stick to the original script; the best we can hope for is that the changes they make are good instead of stupid.

P.S. Thanks.

P.P.S. If they replace the new combat with something that isn't turn-based, I'ma flip my lid.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
its the end of the world as we know it and i still like ff even the after merger ones

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Rylee Fox said:
Cowabungaa said:
When FF7 was made, the company was simply Squaresoft. Back then their games were almost always really good. Ever since the merger with Enix, they haven't been nearly as good anymore.

The reaction is that the current square-enix will completely ruin the game.
Interesting. I never knew that. That finally explains the extreme change in style and quality after 7. I'd always thought the overwhelmingly positive response to 7 simply changed what Square thought their customers wanted.

llubtoille

Apr 12, 2010
I'd question whether Enix is to blame for the general downfall of final fantasy, given the Western (Enix) side of the company has released numerous well received games since the merger, whereas the Eastern (Square) side has shat the bed numerous time and basically relied on the West to keep afloat.
As for who's to blame re. the direction FF has taken, look to the games director(s) and their upper management.

That said, I have almost no faith that fans of the old game (who have been put off by the newer releases) will even remotely be the target audience for this new FF7.

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
To be honest this was EXACTLY my reaction to the news. The issue is SE has only internally developed garbage since FF10 and most of the people from square soft are gone. I don't trust square enix to remake this game... They probably will end up shoving Lightning in it or some stupid crap. I can also see them trying to "innovate" the battle system by ruining what made it fun. SE is just a company that makes one bad choice after another.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
That does kinda leave the question about the gameplay, now that I think about it.
While the turn based combat was solid, It's pretty basic compared to what kinda stuff we have now.

They will either change nothing or they'll try to update it, can't figure out which one might be worse.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
I don't get the second half of this strip. The only reactions I've seen are everyone going nuts in celebration. ...except for mine which is a very sarcastic "whoopty shit."
Basically, Erin just realized that Square Enix is remaking FF7 and how that might be a bad thing.

Personally though, considering the amount of shareholders in the world that like to make money and Sony most likely chipping in like they did for SF5, I think that would be enough to keep them on the leash.