Remake Retake

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
i was really happy that they were remaking FF7 until i remembered what i went through to get cloud underwear in his drag queen sequence and then i shuttered at the image of a nude man pile in full 3D rendering

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
008Zulu said:
I wonder if it might be the voice acting that has some people concerned. Yeah FF7 didn't have it, but now it will. And now there is a very real chance that Cloud could sound like that annoying kid from the recent games.
More than likely they'll use his KH/Advent Children Voice.

nyysjan

Mar 12, 2010
my first reaction: remake of FFVII? how nice
my second reaction: yeah, they'll fuck it up somehow
my third reaction: fuck it, i'm not buying a console *stops caring*

FFVII was the best final fatasy i've played (played all but XI from VI and up), VIII was great as well, IX was kinda meh, but playable enough for few play throughs, X was decent but horribly linear, XII had plenty of potential that never went anywhere (the game pretty much stopped at what would have been the mid point of the game in earlier FF's), and XIII sucked.
Sure, XIII had great graphics, some interesting characters, but the gameplay, and constant corridors, were so fucking boring (and Lightning sucked as a character imo), that i could not play it past 17 hours (and this from a guy who has spent 10+ hours levelling in VIII before even entering the first dungeon).

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
iblis666 said:
There's quite a bit of material Square got away with because chibi. I wonder how the massacre of Shinra HQ is going to go over? Final Fantasy VII was the first T rated FF game, will its remake be the first M rated FF game?

Also I guess I need to break out the chocobo inbreeding chart.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
iblis666 said:
i was really happy that they were remaking FF7 until i remembered what i went through to get cloud underwear in his drag queen sequence and then i shuttered at the image of a nude man pile in full 3D rendering
This thought only made me happier as I thought on it more. Different strokes different folks.

I demand longer crossdressing cloud scene!

Halbert

Jul 13, 2008
I never attached to FF7 the way other folks did, but I played it on PC; that version was ridiculously unstable, so I never finished it. At one point, it caused a crash so bad I had to restore the PC to factory settings. I hadn't even made it to disc 4 yet.

Batadon

Jan 17, 2008
CaitSeith said:
I don't know. The remakes of FF III and FF IV for the Nintendo DS were pretty descent.
IV was okay if you'd played FF4 before.

III is hot garbage and broken as hell and sucked all the fun out of the NES version.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Someday people will learn that it is the people that make the game and not the company. If you don't know which individual developers were responsible for your game, you can't trust the developer's company to do it justice just because it is the same company. Leadership changes, employees change and often times that means what is left is just a shell of its former self.

In a way, it is a little misleading for gamers that aren't aware. They see their favorite game getting a sequel or a remake from the same developer and are super excited! They just never realize that everyone who worked on the original no longer works for that company.

An FF7 remake is one of those things, like many remakes, that I don't understand the appeal for. Often times part of what makes a game great is when it is released and what it does for a genre at the time. If you release FF7 now, it just becomes another mediocre JRPG. You'll always have FF7, go play it, and enjoy it. Let developers focus on new games instead.

And lastly, even if this weren't the current Square Enix, that can't do anything right. It is dangerous to remake a game that is so popular because it threatens to become consumed by its own popularity. It ends up coming out pretentious and even more poorly made, like fanfiction. Maybe that is what the fan's want though.

nyysjan

Mar 12, 2010
Eclipse Dragon said:
iblis666 said:
There's quite a bit of material Square got away with because chibi. I wonder how the massacre of Shinra HQ is going to go over? Final Fantasy VII was the first T rated FF game, will its remake be the first M rated FF game?

Also I guess I need to break out the chocobo inbreeding chart.
I don't think there's anything more serious in FFVII than you can find on average FPS these days.
Apart from, maybe, the cross dressing part (which should totally be still included in all its glory).

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Not getting how Square Enix will screw up a FF VII remake, if half of them used to be Squaresoft. I never played the original, or any other FF game, because they just don't seem like my cup of tea. The last Squeenix game I played was Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and that was so good I can't wait for Mankind Divided.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Alex Baas said:
LordLundar said:
Cowabungaa said:
As someone who never played FF7 I don't quite get this comic. What's up with that reaction?
The merger happened shortly after Final Fantasy 10 was released which was regarded as the last good game in the series. FF11 is an MMO, 12 underperformed, the less said about 13 the better, etc. The idea is squaresoft can make a good Final Fantasy game, square enix however, can't.
How was 12. From what I have seen of it I am intrigued
It was Return of the Jedi without Lightsabers. The bad guys are called the empire, a rebellion is led by a arse kicking princess, there is a guy who looks like a fantasy version of Vader and there is a sky pirate who is literly Han Solo except instead of chewie he has a 7ft bunny girl for a side kick. There are even more things they took from Jedi but they would be big spoilers and as you have not played it I will not spoil anything. But personaly I found it to be very bad.

w23eer

Mar 13, 2014
I think the main thing I don't like about it is how long we're gonna have to wait. I highly doubt this will arrive before KH3, and I highly doubt KH3 is gonna arrive anytime soon.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Xsjadoblayde said:
I should be the first to admit, it took a little longer than usual to get this. Silly brain! Stop doing all those anti-brain activities!
So FFVII is really that good then? I never experienced it, so the nostalgia isn't there. Only more modern angsty teen games are what I know. Is 7 like,that?
FF7 is not like that, no. It's cast is quite colorful and interesting, and the protagonist is more of a cocky asshole. It works really well. I believe it was the last game the original creator of FF worked on. It's his swans song, so to speak. It came out at the perfect transition between modern FF and classic FF. The result is that it has the style of modern titles, but the substance of the classic games is still there. There are certainly sad moments, but you have to remember the game was written by a man who had just buried his parents. The result is a funny, heart felt game that also dwells on themes of loss and mourning. It strikes a good balance, and is not reminiscent of the teen angst the franchise is known for today.

Afterwards the original veterans left, and were replaced by Nomura and the FF13 guy. They didn't understand what made FF6 and FF7 great, so the company has been floundering ever since. Unfortunately every version of Cloud outside of the original game has been an emo kid, since he wasn't written by the original creator. They essentially did to FF7 what George Lucas did to Star Wars. Like Star Wars, however, the original still stands on its own merits.

The original game is quite good. The battle system is one of the best turn based systems ever created, and the story is both subtle and well written. However, the graphics haven't fared too well, and some of the design choices are archaic. The result is a flawed masterpiece with one of the best casts I've ever seen. I would certainly recommend it. Don't listen to the people who say it's the best or worst game ever made. They're both wrong. Just walk in with no expectations and experience it for what it is.

Fox12

Jun 6, 2013
Darknacht said:
Joshroom said:
Cowabungaa said:
As someone who never played FF7 I don't quite get this comic. What's up with that reaction?
I think the joke is that the company Squaresoft who made FF7 back in the day and the company Square-Enix as it stands today are very different. So the reaction is "yay, the games being remade! All my childhood nostalgia and joy!" and then the realisation "wait a minute, weren't they the guys who also made FF13, FF13-2, FF13 bloody 3 and messed up FF14 the first time they tried it? Ah shit! All my childhood nostalgia and joy!"
The slide in quality started much sooner, after FFVI.

You mean when Xenogears, Parasite Eve, FF7, Vagrant Story, Dragon Quest 8, and Kingdom Hearts came out? Their golden age was during the ps1, early ps2 era. They increased in both critical and financial success. Honestly, I think people remember FF6 with a nice heavy dose of nostalgia, because while it was good for the time, it doesn't hold up by modern standards at all. Especially the writing.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I like how like, 20 people (exaggeration, obviously :p) responded with the same answer to the first comment...just read down a little bit, folks...no need to flood the poor guy's inbox. :p

OT: That was Jim Sterling's reaction to this news...and I must say it was pretty much mine as well.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Fox12 said:
You mean when Xenogears, Parasite Eve, FF7, Vagrant Story, Dragon Quest 8, and Kingdom Hearts came out? Their golden age was during the ps1, early ps2 era. They increased in both critical and financial success. Honestly, I think people remember FF6 with a nice heavy dose of nostalgia, because while it was good for the time, it doesn't hold up by modern standards at all. Especially the writing.
Not quite. Last year (I think) I did an official survey in which I tried to sort out the demographics of who like which FF's. I created this survey because honestly I find FF9 to be obscenely boring...and yet on this forum I see constant praise of it being the best in the series.

While I left out a crucial question that tainted the results (else I would have actually posted them), the general consensus was - surprise-surprise - the first FF someone played is generally going to be their favorite. Older fans (those that were with the series from the beginning or close to it) generally prefer the "classics" (1-6) while younger fans (those that joined up in the PS era and beyond) like the "newer" ones more (i.e. 7-present). Evidently FF9 was the first FF that many people played, hence it's popularity. My hypothesis is that - since the "younger" fans grew up playing with PS or better graphics, they can't appreciate the pixelated sprites of the "classics", while the "older" fans believe that SE has traded in good writing for breathtaking graphics/cinematics.

For example, I personally would disagree strongly with your statement. I make a point to play through FF6 at least once a year, and I love it just as much as the day I first picked it up on my SNES when it originally came out as FFIII. I'd argue that it's writing could easily stand up - and in most cases surpass - the writing of any FF from 8 to present. FF7 was a lot of fun and had a good story, but I don't think it was god's gift to the series like everyone makes it out to be.

Please note: there's no sense in bickering over this as it's clearly all based entirely on opinion, all I've done is simply express mine.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Diablo1099 said:
canadamus_prime said:
I don't get the second half of this strip. The only reactions I've seen are everyone going nuts in celebration. ...except for mine which is a very sarcastic "whoopty shit."
Basically, Erin just realized that Square Enix is remaking FF7 and how that might be a bad thing.

Personally though, considering the amount of shareholders in the world that like to make money and Sony most likely chipping in like they did for SF5, I think that would be enough to keep them on the leash.
What? Because Square might fuck it up?

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Fox12 said:
Darknacht said:
Joshroom said:
Cowabungaa said:
I think the joke is that the company Squaresoft who made FF7 back in the day and the company Square-Enix as it stands today are very different. So the reaction is "yay, the games being remade! All my childhood nostalgia and joy!" and then the realisation "wait a minute, weren't they the guys who also made FF13, FF13-2, FF13 bloody 3 and messed up FF14 the first time they tried it? Ah shit! All my childhood nostalgia and joy!"
The slide in quality started much sooner, after FFVI.

There SNES era was just as good as PS1 and imo better than PS2. Sadly most of there great game never made it here. Bahamut lagoon, rudora no hiou, live-a-liva and seiken densest 3 all deserves re make just so they'd bring them west side.

But yeah, comic reaction was spot on for me. My greatest fear is really what they'll do with cloud, he's really not a broody emo in the game but they'll probably make him into one. After FF13 I really don't trust SE, and the fact they made 2 sequel just confirm my belief.

Fox12

Jun 6, 2013
RJ 17 said:
FF is a weird series, in that it's so diverse that multiple camps have developed. I got into the series pretty late, starting with ten. Seven still stood out to me the most, but I thought 4 was quite good as well. For whatever reason I grew away from the series, with FF7 being the only one I'll replay. I thought 6 had a great concept, but I could never quite get over the villain. Kefka was just too...needlessly demented for me. I can understand why people love it, though, the middle section was a stroke of genius. Honestly, most of my favorite Square games fall outside of the FF franchise.

Meiam said:
I can't imagine anyone recapturing the lightening in a bottle that was FF7. They need to hire a team of professional writers to do the series justice. Bloated budgets and indulgent pandering has left the series sterile. Worse, their money has been totally mismanaged. Their old CEO was fired, thankfully, and the new ones trying to pick up the pieces of the series. He's the one that set KH3 and FF15 on track, and started the FF7 remake. Unfortunately, while the CEO may be competent, it doesn't matter if they don't have the talent. And they don't have the talent.