Remedy Blames Stiff Competition for Poor Alan Wake Sales

syndicated44

Apr 25, 2009
I would still say it is almost probably worth a rent eventually. It was probably a bit of competition and but probably mostly being one of those games you eventually pick up when its 15-20 dollars at the store.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
coldalarm said:
Dear Remedy,
If you want sales, don't shaft your customers by dropping a whole platform close to release.
Thank you.
Pretty much this. I've had enough of exclusives myself. Sure it might increase production times to get games to each platform at sufficient quality. But I can wait.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
I wonder if they still feel it was worth it to snub their PC fans now. Alan Wake looks like a good game that is just really out of place on the Xbox, it could have sold a lot better if it also were released on PC (through Steam).

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
Or don't release a game with such poor controls and repetitive button mashing for simple tasks

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
What was the reason why it wasn't released on PC again? You (supposedly) couldn't get the full experience or something?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yeah... keep telling yourself that, Mr Hakkinen.

I'm guessing that the disappointing sales had something to do with Alan wake being a disappointing game.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
I blame the fact its on one console, a game like this needs to be on more than one format since horror isn't as popular as say shooters which can sell well on one thing, if it was on PC i'm sure it would have doubled its sales.

Tanzka

Jan 7, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Shame. I quite enjoyed it. Enough to do pretty much 2 playthroughs in a row. (One playthrough, then a whole lot of replaying certain episodes to find manuscript pages)

What the hell were they thinking, putting it out next to R* and Mario?
It's Microsoft. They don't think, they just do.

But ah, the sales are quite disappointing. I have no appeal to get an Xbox for this game and only this game but I'm Finnish so I would've liked to see this game succeed, if only to persuade Microsoft to allow Remedy to release it for the PC as well.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
I'd blame your publisher, and their confict of interests in trying to [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101550-Microsoft-Pledges-to-Save-PC-Gaming-Again"]"save PC gaming"[/a]. I seriously would have bought that game, but I won't because it's now an exclusive.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Considering word of mouth seems to be Hakkinen's new primary sales strategy, and he's using the word 'still' when taking about the game having life in it, I can't help but think it's a massive misfire of a game with a desperate man at the helm, in denial.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
I was going to pick it up when it got cheap.

The game just sounded so much more interesting a year before it was released, before it turned into a linear action game. The talk about episodes pretty much killed my interest in picking up the game on launch day.

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
"Well it would have sold better if our competitors didn't have better products."

Do you think thats what they said about the avatar game?

Freshman

Jan 8, 2010
Yea, nice excuse. maybe you shouldn't have released it next to 2 monster titles. or maybe you shouldn't have made a game that is a better rent than buy. (I say this because after one, maybe two playthroughs, you're done. You know the whole story already, so that can't really carry the game on its back anymore, and nobody bought that game for its innovative combat system)

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I'll admit I really enjoy this as an IP, and, would love to see a second game follow on from it.

The format of it was brlliant, and, the story although cliche in parts, is still strong to me