Remedy Blames Stiff Competition for Poor Alan Wake Sales

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
I think part of the problem was the overall concept. It was geared towards a more niche market with the plot and concept. It breaks down really easy:

1) Your character has a name
2) You are not a Space Marine
3) You are not trying to save the worl
4) You don't need no stinking cover system.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
coldalarm said:
Dear Remedy,
If you want sales, don't shaft your customers by dropping a whole platform close to release.
Thank you.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Maybe because almost up till launch a PC release was promised and when that was suddenly canned Microsoft crippled the hype machine as millions of highly active internet users moved on. Pro Tip; if you want more sales, release the PC version we ALL know you have ready and waiting.

Also LOL at the DLC, it's like Microsoft: "well we didn't get many sales, lets milk them for all they are worth with premium DLC."

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
ciortas1 said:
coldalarm said:
Dear Remedy,
If you want sales, don't shaft your customers by dropping a whole platform close to release.
Thank you.
Thank Microsoft for that.
Well, some blame should come on the company. I guess pissing all over PC gamers is a lasting fad.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Moriarty70 said:
I think part of the problem was the overall concept. It was geared towards a more niche market with the plot and concept. It breaks down really easy:

How bout a few more like....
5) Console exclusive
6) No multiplayer
7) Cardboard Characters
At best, this game is good for a rent, at worst people are pissed that this isn't Max Payne 3.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
coldalarm said:
Dear Remedy,
Thank you.
I hope Microsoft compensated them for all the lost revenue.

WrcklessIntent

Apr 16, 2009
Wow I'm really dissapointed. This was a great game and deserves a sequel. I can highly recommend it to anyone here who hasn't played it yet.

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
Remedy was on the limelight after Max Payne 2, and they should've taken the hammer to the iron while it was still hot. Max Payne 2 was good, but it wasn't giving people orgasms to the extent that they'd foam at the mouth for seven years, waiting for a new Remedy game. Their hiatus was too long (7 years, no games), and they probably lost a lot of their less-committed fans.

So in my humble opinion, I think people just got bored of waiting, and moved on. It doesn't help that it was once "Vista Only", needing DX10 and all that jazz, and turned out to be a 360 exclusive.

I've only tried the game for a few hours, it was pretty good, but nothing amazing.

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
Apparently the concept of "console exclusives" is lost to many of these people. I'm not saying y'all are wrong, but if Microsoft releases all of their big Xbox 360 games on PC then they drop all incentive to ever own the system.

Anyway, I wouldn't consider Alan Wake worth buying since you can beat it within a rental for only a fraction of the price. That said, I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the game, so it's a shame it didn't sell better.

Anyone else think the poor sales can be attributed, as least partially, to the bland title?

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I knew several people who picked this up and just didn't know what to make of it. I avoided grabbing it new but I might pick it up used (that is, used and half off, not used for a few bucks less), since it sounds intriguing enough.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
I remember reading about the game back before Vista was out and it was still called Longhorn. I instantly decided to buy it, even if I knew nothing of the game. I figured that when it was Remedy it would be awesome. I mean, they made Max Payne 1+2. I was hooked. And I had every intention of buying the game. Right up until they decided to not release it on a proper platform.

I blame bad sales on themselves. I have a suspicion that a lot of PC gamers was looking forward to the game, based on Remedys earlier PC games. And then they shot themselves in the foot.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I think everyone who's surprised at the sales of this game need to step back and take a look here. There are a few points as to why this games garbage sales make a lot of sense.

1. It's a single player linear story based game on the online multiplayer console. Unless it's a big multiplatforn IP, most linear story driven games on the 360 tend not to sell.

2. It's basically Resident Evil. Story as good as it was coul not stop that comparison. That's like trying to say that the stat menu designs of Alpha Protocol look almost exactly like Mass Effect's by sheer coincidence.

3. (The Obvious Point). Red Dead Redemption.

4. Word of Mouth didn't really help sell this game like it did for Heavy Rain & Demon's Souls. Word of Mouth was almost the sole reason that Demon's Souls sold over 1 million copies. That game had one freaking trailer. I personally think that word of mouth only helps out a games sales if the game is doing something different or bringing back an element that worked, but hasn't been touched in a while. Demon's Souls with it's difficulty, Heavy Rain with it's heavy reliance on Quick Time Events and game changing player driven events. It's too easy to compare Alan Wake to Resident Evil 4 and Silent Hill. That and it reallt brings abolutely nothing to the table.

Benjeezy

Dec 3, 2009
Oh, wow, I love it when this happens. Every time a huge, big-name game bombs it warms my heart.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Only terrible games and developers blame their competition for the reason their product haven't sold. <.<

guess Alan Wake is just that bad :p

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
bue519 said:
Moriarty70 said:

How bout a few more like....
5) Console exclusive
6) No multiplayer
7) Cardboard Characters
At best, this game is good for a rent, at worst people are pissed that this isn't Max Payne 3.
5) Just because somethings exclusive doesn't void it's sales. Halo, Heavy Rain, Diablo 2.
6) This game wouldn't have worked multiplayer and would compromise the core single player to fit. Assassin's Creed 1 & 2. I'm terrified about Brotherhood.
7) Don't tell me Master Chief and Marcus Pheonix are well rounded, deep characters.

I still think this all comes down to mainstream marketing, or lack thereof, and not defining what kind of game it was to the public.

I will concede the Max Payne 3 point though.

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
wastaz said:
I can't believe it didn't sell better than that. I'd have thought that this game would sell -really- well, because it is -really- good and I enjoyed it _a lot_. This is easily one of those games on my "give me a sequel to this or I will go postal"-list....

It was a long time since I laughed as much at a game as I did
when Barry was waving the cardboard cutout around and imitating Alan outside the viking-brothers barn of awesomeness.
It was epic. This game deserves a sequel. Everybody buy it so I can get my sequel damn you! :D
This++

I keep telling people to play it, and I get back unenthusiastic "I'll have to check it out sometime." WTF, my raving about it apparently isn't enough to override the fact that the game doesn't have boobs or machine guns.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I think the big problem with "Alan Wake" was simply that they changed the plan in what seemed to be the 11th hour. I don't think people were intrigued originally by the whole "Flashlight combat" aspect of the game or the "light against darkness" theme, but the idea of a sandbox survival horror game... which is not what they wound up producing. I think when it became known that the game was not going to be a sandbox title a lot of the interest went elsewhere.

Also I think a lot of the problem has to do with a very limited bestiary (I mean you can only kill the same axe wielding shadow-logger so many times before it gets old, they needed a few more models at least), when your dealing with a game this linear it becomes really noticible.

I also think that "Deadly Premonition" had something to do with it's poor sales as well. While I haven't played it much yet (though I have goofed off with it), DP *IS* a sandbox survival horror game, and arguably the style of game that "Alan Wake" was supposed to be. DP suffering from very dated (PS-2 era) graphics, and a lot of bugs, but it was also a FAR more ambitious project and sold for only $20. It's been called the ultimate cult-sleeper hit of this console generation by a number of people. Honestly, I think "Alan Wake" got upstaged by a game that was one third the price and technologically inferior, largely because it was serious about at least trying to do what Remedy decided they couldn't pull off.

Also I think one of the other problems with "Alan Wake" is that it's ridiculously derivitive despite the story being told well. Most other horror games have some wierd twists you don't nessicarly see coming. Even at it's worst "Silent Hill" almost always has a cool angle, and "Deadly Premonition" had some interesting bits involving the voice in the protaganist's head (and let's be honest, our hero in DP was a lot more creative than Alan was).

"Alan Wake" pretty much took half a dozen fairly popular horror stories ("In The Mouth Of Madness", "Twin Peaks", and unapologetic theft from Steven King where they even admit this themselves during the game as sort of a joke) tossed them into a blender, and then fired it out of a shotgun. The pretentious quoting of Steven King in the first 15 seconds of the game about how "horror is scariest when it doesn't make sense" came accross ultimatly as being a cop out for the fact that they weren't even going to bother to try and explain themselves and just shoot out wierdness for the sake of wierdness, and not worry about reconciling things at any point. Being unable to come up with a consistant plot and satisfying conclusion does not cease to be a problem just because you admit it and quote a well known author (who himself is increasingly criticized for exactly the same thing... ).

Don't get me wrong, the game is a noble concept, and honestly it has some moments of pure genius (I especially like the 'Night Springs' segements) but in the end it wasn't anywhere near what it could have been, and arguably should have been given the lofty promises and enough development time where we should have seen those promises delivered on.

I've played it a bit, and while it is a good game (do not misunderstand that), it's not an "OMG, this is so amazingly awesome it defies belief" game... and really that is what Remedy set their sights on producing and the expectation by which they are defining their success.