Remedy: No Alan Wake on PC Unless Microsoft Says So

Filtertip

Jan 30, 2009
Maybe its time devs started making there games for linux :p microsoft have no say what happens there.

but really PC support these days is wouldright crap. so many games have gone to the 360 and the ones we do get are now CRAP CONSOLE PORTS.

So much anger.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Kollega said:
but there's less and less decent games on PC. How about SHARING THE LOVE FOR ONCE?
Without mentioning Halo, Killzone or Gears of War tell whats so great about console releases?
There tons of gold on the PC, you just have to look harder as nthe massive marketing hype doesnt exist to such an extent on the PC, since PC games can sell on quality alone.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
As long as it comes eventually I'm not concerned. I expect this game to be an experience years from now, like the Max Payne-games are.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Ugh, I hate it, but business is business.

Royas said:
The PC is potentially the most powerful gaming platform in existence, yet it continues to get treated like the redheaded stepchild of the gaming world. Never mind that the PC is where the modern gaming trend really started and where it lived for years.
Broken Wings said:
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
I hate how microsoft squanders it's potential with the PC as a gaming platform. You know, the PC platform, something that NINTENDO AND SONY DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO!
This is a good point why doesn't Microsoft support it's own freaking product.

Edit: They're effectively not making money by not putting this on the PC.
Microsoft have two gaming platforms. The first is something that everyone has, a PC. The second is an xbox 360, which has sold 30 out of a potential 150 million units. If they release Alan Wake on the PC, they could be potentially losing out on moving more consoles than they could if they didn't, because while everyone doesn't have a high end PC, everyone has a PC. While people are teetering over the edge of whether or not they want to buy a console or not, if a possible console mover is on a console they already have, what's the point?

If this wasn't the case, timed exclusives between the 360 and PC wouldn't exist. More consoles out there means a larger install base.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
all those years ago I looked towards alan wake as the next step of PC graphics but its been so long, now its just going to be a console title, no longer interested

lets hope now Intel deson't screw around with project offset

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Broken Wings said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Ugh, I hate it, but business is business.

Royas said:
The PC is potentially the most powerful gaming platform in existence, yet it continues to get treated like the redheaded stepchild of the gaming world. Never mind that the PC is where the modern gaming trend really started and where it lived for years.
Broken Wings said:
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
I hate how microsoft squanders it's potential with the PC as a gaming platform. You know, the PC platform, something that NINTENDO AND SONY DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO!
This is a good point why doesn't Microsoft support it's own freaking product.

Edit: They're effectively not making money by not putting this on the PC.
Microsoft have two gaming platforms. The first is something that everyone has, a PC. The second is an xbox 360, which has sold 30 out of a potential 150 million units. If they release Alan Wake on the PC, they could be potentially losing out on moving more consoles than they could if they didn't, because while everyone doesn't have a high end PC, everyone has a PC. While people are teetering over the edge of whether or not they want to buy a console or not, if a possible console mover is on a console they already have, what's the point?

If this wasn't the case, timed exclusives between the 360 and PC wouldn't exist. More consoles out there means a larger install base.
Lets be honest Alan Wake looks good but it's not "move console" good.
Perhaps not on the same scale as say, Halo 3, but it could still move a couple thousand consoles methinks. Probably in conjunction with some other titles, maybe a 'straw that broke the camel's back' situation.

Outamyhead

Feb 25, 2009
Malygris said:
The future is now, apparently, and PC gamers aren't going to like what they hear: Alan Wake on the PC is essentially dead unless Microsoft says otherwise.

"Thank you for your continued interest in Alan Wake. It is accurate that we are currently working exclusively on the BrightFalls.net [http://www.xbox.com]. "PC plans are currently open, and therefore it's safe to say that at least a simultaneous launch with the Xbox version will not happen at this late stage. Remedy has a deep heritage in PC gaming and would love to see a PC version available to its PC followers, ultimately however this decision lies with our publisher."

but it does cast a certain doubt on their professed commitment to PC gaming.
So much for the frikkin' PC gaming alliance, yet again proving they don't give a shite unless it suits their wallet!

Although it is Alan Wake, from what I have seen of the game footage I couldn't give a shite myself, waiting for max Payne:)

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Broken Wings said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Perhaps not on the same scale as say, Halo 3, but it could still move a couple thousand consoles methinks. Probably in conjunction with some other titles, maybe a 'straw that broke the camel's back' situation.
Maybe but Microsoft is still stabbing the back of the community that helped get them started, and if I dare say made their company what it is.
As a huge business, Microsoft don't need to keep their fan-base happy, they already have them, and the third parties are keeping them there. I doubt they could lose customers or anything like that after this move, as a PC is for life, but consoles can be sold.

It's probably going to be more profitable to move consoles and bring the number of satisfied customers up on the 360 and edge away from the PS3, than it would be to satisfy PC gamers, a large number of which are very likely to pirate it and lower the number of sales somewhat, or (the majority) not care. A quality title will sell 1 to 3 million copies on the 360, that's where the money is, and where Microsoft needs the money to be.

rohit9891

Jan 21, 2009
Oh...great,another great game where the developers have negelected the PC users.
Now all we're gonna get is a poor port of the console game or Maybe we wont even get Alan wake for the PC at all.
Good thing Microsoft isnt publishing Max Payne 3.

Firenz

Jul 16, 2009
I used to view this sort of thing as another nail in the coffin of the PC as a gaming platform. Then I realised that in the last two years some of the most innovative games on the market have been from indie developers using the PC as a platform.

And I'm not using the word innovative in a cliched way meaning "quite cool, a bit arty and niche" (like The Path for example)but rather using it to try and encapsulate the different ideas that have been created by games that are not tethered by worries such as cost and deadlines.