Remember Me Could Have Been So Much More

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
What are you talking about, "bat an eyelid"? I was in shock and awe! That sounds like a horrible thing to do.
Also, fun fact: thinking that you're dead is also known as Cotard's syndrome.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
the thing yatzee complains about here i feel is just the production time, given unlimited time there would be more exploration of all the features, but games are made on a schedule and to keep a decent quality you have to
'kill your darlings' as they say to make sure the game is working to a decent level on release

there are some cool ideas, for sure but i have to wonder about this one..

"at the start of the game she staggers out of oppressive future prison where she underwent mistreatment to the point that she can barely stand, and you can't just walk that off."

I have to say, I disagree.. as someone who has been poisoned ( holly berries look better than they taste. ), sedated ( surgery ), suffocated by deep muscle oxygen debt 'collapsed due to overexertion' and put into thermal shock ( in a cold room then i went outside in the 36* direct sun, for MASSIV da.. er.. instant heatstroke ) and you absolutely can and do walk these things off because if you didn't they'd never go away and you'd just die.

if anyone's been drunk off their face and slowly recovered, coming out of shock is that but 1000x faster and with all the general wobbliness everything hurts, burns and stings ( you're slowly recovering your nervous system... it hurts. trust me your soul is on fire. ) you can't see properly and you stagger around or collapse and twitch on the floor for 20-30 mins.
seems quick? not when you're suffering is isn't!

personally i'm completely satisfied with the portrayal of 'generically mind%*"$*"' at the beginning of the game, but obviously I can't comment on what she's supposed to be recovering from if it was drug induced, a nice long vomit might have been in order as that shit will make you queasy too, if they really wanted to play it up she should have collapsed for a while in a corner somewhere and woken up later but that might have seemed overly melodramatic for an intro..

"Thirdly, we could simply kill the guard inside their own memories. This leaves them in a temporary state of existential uncertainty, creating the same effect as a stun attack."

THIS I like, allot. and it has so many variants depending what the guard fears or cares about..
if you were being less evil, you could make a memory of them tripping and falling down a flight of stairs and smashing their face on the pavement or something and have them stunned and then panicked like waking up from a particularly violent daydream.

perhaps you make the ceiling crack, and bits of plaster fall on them and they run away from their posts so you can run past.

You could make a giant spider appear and crawl into an air vent and watch as a guard stares at nothing, agog or starts shooting the wall and all their friends run over and shake him to try and snap him out of it.. as you creep past.
and the guards get creeped out and commit suicide or all begin to go insane as all the other guards start experiencing these unexplainable hallucinations.

Mentally trained toughguy? no problem..
you could erect a 'mental projection' of the area that simply excludes you from it and jaunt on past like they were blind.

ect ect..

did i mention i love this idea?
it's good. go and make thief 3072 and put that in it kay.

Niccolo

Dec 15, 2007
Y'know, I loved Remember Me. I consider it one of those odd little gems that you trip over in the Steam Store. Not perfect, but uniquely cut to catch the light in a way you've never quite seen before.

And I will remember Remember Me for a very long time.

That being said, I would love to have had more fun with the memory-altering thing. That was crazy fun.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
I wholeheartedly agree to these ideas and suggestions. Using the provided special powers to actually evade fighting and stay undiscovered would have been sweet, but they also would have made this a whole different game.

While I did enjoy playing through the game, it is definitely not one of those titles one keeps coming back to. The combos reminded me of Panza kick boxing, another splendid title that allowed for pretty much that customization mechanic, what, twenty years ago? The fighting in Remember Me is clearly inspired by how other titles handle it, and it's alright - it isn't really bad, but it's also nothing to write home about.

The most innovation and work clearly went into the memory rewriting scenes, and they are fun, entertaining and quite special. However, it's also rather obvious that the whole rest of the game is pretty much written and constructed around them. I'd like to learn how many man-hours went into creating the memory-alt-hacks, as I am certain the effort was considerable, if not ludicrous.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Therumancer said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Ah man, he took my idea!

My plan was a cybernetic implant that lets you "see" the future through billions of probability calculation per second. In gameplay terms, you can rewind segments of time an avoid mistakes.
Maybe I miss the intentional joke, but that sounds pretty much like doing "Prince Of Persia" but justifying the rewind mechanics with technology instead of temporal magic.

Also to be honest, if they ever wanted to do a video game starring some obscure comic characters like "Sage" or "The Midnighter" (Wildstorm, recently brought into regular DC apparently) with computer brains who can pretty much play out any fight they could potentially get into a billion times before it even starts and predict everything their opponent does before they do it... a similar mechanic to this would make sense as well.
I realized the goof, almost as soon as I hit the post button.

kaioshade

Apr 10, 2011
Niccolo said:
Y'know, I loved Remember Me. I consider it one of those odd little gems that you trip over in the Steam Store. Not perfect, but uniquely cut to catch the light in a way you've never quite seen before.

That being said, I would love to have had more fun with the memory-altering thing. That was crazy fun.
Pretty much the same here. Remember Me was definitely not perfect, but i enjoyed the combat, the scenery was gorgeous, and the soundtrack was also very pleasing to me. Well worth the 30 dollars i spent on the title.

If it ever gets made, all of the memory remixing scenarios Ben mentioned could very well make their way into a sequel.

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
The way you were going on about how much you liked the memory alteration mechanic and subtly changing things in the past to affect the present, Yahtzee, I'd highly recommend you check out Ghost Trick.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
Not all games get it right the first time. Sometimes the first game is merely a stepping stone for the sequel.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Niccolo said:

same here. sure its far from perfect but a fun game. i played it twice and i still enjoy it a lot.
i was also thinking of some stealth elements and altering someones memories to either help you or deceive them. but well, maybe part 2 (if we get a second game) might change these (if they listen to customers) and we will have a really fun game.

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
I just find it sad that Remember Me gets about a score of 70% in all reviews, while you know the next CoD modern warfare of blops will get 99% by everybody, while doing jack shit different than the last instalment...

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I certainly hope Capcom allows a sequel to be made with more time, and resources. It doesn't have to be a huge amount more, but time to really make a more fleshed out game.

The game was a refreshing change of pace on many levels, and it deserves a sequel.

It was definitely a good first game from a developer that came out of nowhere.

Being an errorist sounds like interesting game play. Stealing memories, and changing people's outlooks to prevent corruption, and more.

The game laid a fantastic foundation.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
So, basically, having the power to rewrite a person's memory and subconscious, which in turn crosses many moral and ethical boundaries but also opens up new gameplay opportunities while also raising questions as to whether or not the actions the player avatar takes are morally correct in itself, painting his/her's actions as morally grey as the very people he is trying to bring down.

What an interesting and dynamic idea to add to the gameplay and story of a game. Let's sit back and watch the Triple A devs subsequently never think of anything that deep ever again and instead focus on giving CoD Ghosts more guns.

... Sorry for being pessimistic, but we've been through, what, five years of this nonsense? I think I have the right to not assume things will change now.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Stomping goombas took away my sense of morality and ethics long ago. I'm a real monster, I know.

The memory altering mechanic is pretty neat, and really deserves its own game entirely.

But it's also quite complicated, and "complicated" is a dirty word in an industry that relies on pandering to the lowest common denominator. Don't expect another attempt to be made again.