Remember Me was Misunderstood Says Creative Director

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Damn those pesky consumer reviews. It's clearly the fault of the buyer my product performed poorly. I have zero responsibility for this outcome.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
"I think it was not perfect by any means, but to some level it was misunderstood,"
And like most people who claim their work was misunderstood, they make zero effort to explain why they think it was misunderstood. Probably because they're full of shit.

Briantb

Feb 6, 2014
It was an interesting game that could of been much better. It just felt lacking from start to finish.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Silentpony said:
I'll give them Last of Us overshadowed the entire game. That's fair, and that's a failure in their product launch calendar. They should have planned better.
But misunderstood? That's a lot hard to quantify and prove. Or, more accurately, its IMPOSSIBLE to prove. Anything Maxime says about what was intended has to be taken with a grain of salt because it could have been made up on the spot as an excuse.
This is my thought as well. Once you roll out "misunderstood" you're treading on some pretty thin ice. Granted, I didn't play the game myself but in all the impressions I read/watched of it, I didn't see anything that could have been interpreted as a "misunderstanding." There was a lot of direct mention of elements that were pretty obvious flaws and that was about it.

I'd love for them to revisit the IP at some point as it really seemed like it had potential but them saying the game was misunderstood actually turns me off more than had they just said they made mistakes.

Rabbitboy

Apr 11, 2014
I once did a math test and the teacher gave me a 4. So take comfort in the fact that you are not alone in producing something that other people failed to understand.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Remember Me is one of those games that should have been LONGER.
More of those memory puzzles, a bit more story fleshing out, and some polish on the combat...

It COULD have been THE GOTY.
But, it was not met to be.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
They made a mediocre, lacklustre game and were greeted with a mediocre, lacklustre reception.

I'd say that they were understood pretty damn perfectly.

And this is coming from someone who bought and played the game.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I'm not sure how I feel about this. The developer understands that these are not excuses, and is at least happy that people will remember the game.

On the other hand, I think the game was shit and didn't do anything with a fairly cool concept.

Either way, "misunderstood" is another way of saying the hated "it wasn't for you" bullshit that seems to be getting rolled out every other day.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Well, you have to give them credit, they're standing by their product and not being EA-stupid about it saying it was too far ahead of its time. Though saying it was misunderstood and giving no reasons why has its own pretentious connotations, but this is their first game, pretentiousness is pretty much expected, and there's not much of it thankfully.

Kudos to them for indirectly saying it was their fault though, some amount of responsibility is better than none.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ProfMcStevie said:
I also hear that traversing the landscape was irritating and inefficient, but it DOES look good when it comes to detail, clearly the love was put in by the artists and not the designers.
This is the one thing I really took away from Remember Me. It reminded me of some of the worst elements of the PS1 days, where you would have to guess which of the pretty scenery pieces were actually accessible. There is some sort of parkour vision, IIRC, but it's insufficient and doesn't change issues like bad fixed camera angles and so on. There were some positive elements, but there were overall issues.

Combat was lacking, but the camera and scenery were what killed it for me.

And I could have forgiven that with a better story, or better action, but it was just...It's almost 100% meh.

The last thing I'll point out is that my opinions are 100% independent of TLOU. I still have not played TLOU, so it's a given I played RM first. I got it for free with PS+, so it's not a pricing issue. This is a game that really did have promise, but that I think fails on its own merits to deliver.

Abomination said:
Damn those pesky consumer reviews. It's clearly the fault of the buyer my product performed poorly. I have zero responsibility for this outcome.
Well, yeah, I mean the only think that made this a bad/mediocre game is that people didn't enjoy it. People wouldn't have hated it if only they hadn't hated it.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Got Remember Me from PS+ and decided I wasn't going to skip it and play it at some point soon *Is immediately buried by more interesting games*.
The hate it got has at least made me give it a chance though as I will play it, its just there is so much good stuff around I simply must play.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I think it can be said that he and the team made an interesting novel, but made it worse off by shoehorning a game into it.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
erttheking said:
Ugh. I want to support the devs, but the "we're misunderstood" defense never fails to come off as pretentious.
You aren't the only one. I got what they were trying to do but it just was a mediocre and...well...forgettable game. Doesn't help saying that they got overshadowed by another game. That might be partially true but it still comes off as making excuses to me.

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
I thought Remember Me was a decent game, but did not live up to it's potential. I think this would have been so much better as an open world game.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
I played Remember Me. It was decent. Combat was not really to my liking but I have seen worse.
Overall I think they did not get all out of the premise, it had way more potential than they actually utilized.
I?m glad they survived the less than stellar reception. I?m not into episodic stuff (it never ends worthwhile so I prefer complete experiences) but if Life is Strange turns out well I might have look at it. Got at least an interesting look and premise again.

GamerKT

Jul 27, 2009
Goliath100 said:
Do Moris ever explain why Remember Me was "misunderstood"? Is this like Metro 2033 where there is a hidden mechanic?
What was the hidden mechanic in that game? I'm curious now.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Unless there's a full account of a) how you wanted it to be interpreted b) how your audience misinterpreted it, and c) why the particular communicative techniques you chose were supposed to lead to a) but actually lead to b), then any 'it was misunderstood' excuse is pure horseshit.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
GamerKT said:
Goliath100 said:
Do Moris ever explain why Remember Me was "misunderstood"? Is this like Metro 2033 where there is a hidden mechanic?
What was the hidden mechanic in that game? I'm curious now.
There were certain events that acted as a morality meter, some positive, some negative. you had to get a certain amount of positive ones (with the negatives counting against you) to be given the option for the Good Ending. (though the standard ending was more a 'bleak' ending than a 'bad' ending)