[Removed Post]

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Find a hobby, preferably one outdoors. I live near a modest body of water, so time willing, I go paddling for 6 hours. It's quiet and the most drama I run into is racing from one shore to the other without having to dodge boats.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
How big is your Steam library? If it's hundreds of games, then consider getting rid of a LOT of them. If opening up your library fills you with a sense of dread, exhaustion, or the feeling you get when you see how much homework you have for the weekend, then that's a huge part of your problem.

Otherwise, as has already been said, find another hobby. If you pull your brain away from it to experience something else, eventually your mind will start to miss gaming and you'll get excited to play again.

Or, you could just be hitting that point that a lot of people hit with games--it's just losing its appeal. You're growing up, or growing tired of it, and there's really no way to change it.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Good sir, do I have the product that is right for you! guarentted to increase your penis size by ten inches Get you back into games... Maybe.... Hopefully

I was in the same rut a month ago. I was then loaned a Vita along with Persona 4 Golden, which is a JRPG(a genre I don't play too often). To my surprise once I started playing this game. I couldn't put it down. Turns out playing a game that was out of my comfort zone of Action/Adventure, Shooters, and RTSs was able to rekindle my interest. So yeah, pick up a genre you don't play too often and see if it helps!

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
You really need a change, I would actually recommend something that is boring like schoolwork, or a second job. The amount of free time you have will be dramatically reduced, and consequently you'll enjoy gaming (and any other hobby) much more. It sounds counter-intuitive but it actually works.

HybridChangeling

Dec 13, 2015
If your just tired of games and want to get back into it, play your old favorite/comfort game. Something with a positive memory. If you need something to take your mind off gaming and make it more a hobby and less of a time filler, pick up some books or movies for a bit. Free time isn't the problem, how it is being used is.

Musou Tensei

Anti Censorship Activist
Apr 11, 2007
I dunno, never been in that situation outside of being actually ill.
I guess you could try to try out genres you usually don't play.
Or since you enjoy watching LPs so much, ever considered making one of your own?

Ronald Nand

Jan 6, 2013
Try doing something else, like watch a bunch of Movies or TV Shows, read comics, just get into a new hobby and the spark to play games will come back. You could also try replaying some of your favorite games, something you know you can get into.

Ronald Nand

Jan 6, 2013
Try doing something else, like watch a bunch of Movies or TV Shows, read comics, just get into a new hobby and the spark to play games will come back. You could also try replaying some of your favorite games, something you know you can get into.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Sadly you just got to hope to find that game that grabs you. Maybe just try to think what you want in a game and look for that. Do you want to lay a linear story? An open world with lots to do? Something competitive? I go in and out of such ruts, and am in one now myself, mostly cause I got a new laptop after not having any PC for 3 years, so getting my Steam library back is a bit overwhelming. Though I'm having some success with Terraria (which has a lot more than the console versions I've been playing) and Skyrim which I 100%'d trophy-wise on PS3, and now am trying the same on Steam.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I ran into this about a month or so ago after finishing FFX and giving up on X-2 pretty early on. I tried playing different games then what I've been playing before.

Usually it's a matter of looking at my list of games and basically going into with a single question in mind "What kind of game would I like to play? What interests me at this moment?". Ok, that's really 2 questions but you know what I mean.

Trying shorter games you can finish them in a few hours isn't a bad idea, either, if you're burnt out on longer games. You do get a little sense of accomplishment without having to sink a few weeks into it.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
This happens to me actually. I spend more time on this website and on YouTube watching gaming videos than I do gaming.

And is it really a bad thing? 30 minutes to an hour is the recommended amount of time spent sitting on your ass (this is considering the one hour you would use browsing the interwebz). At least, so says my doctor.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I don't do anything to break out of it, it tends to just happen naturally. One day you just get the itch to play again.

I'm in a bit of a rut ATM but it's let me whittle down my anime backlog so it's all good.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Whenever I felt burned out on games, which tended to happen when I have too much free time on my hands and end up playing all day everyday I simply stopped playing them for a while so that when I returned to them, they will feel fresh again. And I don't mean not playing for a couple of days, I'm talking several weeks here.

Nowadays I have works, so that's less free time with multiple hobbies to fill it with, so fatigue doesn't happen anymore. So, that's another thing to consider: hobbies besides videogames.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
I've never been in your position in my 25+ years of gaming, but I think that's because I play so many different genres. And have hobbies like crazy too (but that just means I'm not exceptionally good at anything).

I like to play FPS, TPS/action, open world, racing/driving, RPG (hack'n'slash and Turn-based), horror, and a few indies here and there. What I'd start by doing is maybe expanding your gaming horizons, getting out of your comfort zone like some have said. Talk to people to see what it is about the kind of games they like makes them tick, and you might just catch the same bug.

Another thing you can do is organize your gaming library. Well, in Steam at least, you can make folders. Games that you want to finish first and foremost. The ones you don't want to see again, just put 'em in a FINISHED folder. The rest, just categorize however you want.

And lastly, yeah hobbies do draw your interest this way and that - I've been torn between games, martial arts, music, movies, comics, and racing/car scene for as long as I can remember. Whenever I spend too long away from anyone in particular, my itching to get back to it grows. I believe it's probably healthier, too.

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
Don't know your situation but when I got a job my intrest picked right back up. Like others have said, absence makes the heart grow fonder