Rename the game(s) you just played or completed.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
That Card Game From The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - The Game

Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
AAAAAAHHHHHH! THERE EVERYWHERE! BULLETS EVERYWHERE! GOD HELP ME! - Crimzon Clover EX
Black and White - Ikaruga
Reverse Looper or The OG Bullet Hell Shooter - Radiant Silvergun

Reactions: NerfedFalcon

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I'd rename Yakuza to Ex-Yakuza. Granted the original Japanese title is Ryu ga Gotoku rather than Yakuza.

But basically the guy(s) you play are hardly ever in the Yakuza. In Yakuza 0, Kiryu is basically in the Yakuza for bugger all before he gets roped into the whole story/conspiracy which leads to him being expelled at the very beginning. Goro Majima who is the second protagonist you play is also technically not part of the Yakuza, having been expelled and one of his goals is trying to get back in.

Kiryu does get back into the Yakuza at the end of 0 and is part of it at the start of 1/Kiwami, but also due to story related reasons ends up getting kicked out yet again but has to punch his way through yakuza-related plots. In Kiwami 2, he's basically a civilian but also gets roped back into more yakuza related plots and conspiracies and has to punch his way to victory.

I'm not really complaning, but I do find it vaguely amusing that you don't actually play a yakuza member for most of Yakuza 0/1/2.

Reactions: BrawlMan

DJShaddycat

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
United States
Or Glorified Steam Shitpost.
The biggest issue with criticizing the game is how many people come out of the woodwork and think it has something to do with politics or morals or something. I love violent video games, but they have to be a good video game first, a violent video game second. Hatred skipped the first criteria hoping the second one would fulfill it.

Crystal Violet

2020: I have not gotten over the scarf thing
Legacy
Sep 22, 2020
Paris
Country
France
The biggest issue with criticizing the game is how many people come out of the woodwork and think it has something to do with politics or morals or something. I love violent video games, but they have to be a good video game first, a violent video game second. Hatred skipped the first criteria hoping the second one would fulfill it.
The problem is that it was obviously made by grifters so all the reviewers climbing on each others to condemn just played into their hands.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Thomas Wayne was an A$$$0L3... the re imagining.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Ok, I haven't played the Telltale batman games yet. Thanks.
Sorry for the spoiler!
I enjoyed the game. This aspect of it bothered me a lot. It isn't canon. And I'm sure this sort of thing has happened in Batman comic books and the mission became to clear his dad's name. But thankfully, it isn't the most important thing in the game. I hope you get a chance to play it.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Sorry for the spoiler!
I enjoyed the game. This aspect of it bothered me a lot. It isn't canon. And I'm sure this sort of thing has happened in Batman comic books and the mission became to clear his dad's name. But thankfully, it isn't the most important thing in the game. I hope you get a chance to play it.
Don't worry about it. If I was really worried about spoilers, I would have played it by now. And I think I did read something like that when it came out anyway.

I used to be really into telltale but I just kinda fell away from it by now. Can't remember when exactly I lost interest. After The Wolf Among Us(which I really liked)? I know I didn't play Game of Thrones or the Walking Dead: New Frontier because I heard they were disappointing.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Don't worry about it. If I was really worried about spoilers, I would have played it by now. And I think I did read something like that when it came out anyway.

I used to be really into telltale but I just kinda fell away from it by now. Can't remember when exactly I lost interest. After The Wolf Among Us(which I really liked)? I know I didn't play Game of Thrones or the Walking Dead: New Frontier because I heard they were disappointing.
They are a very particular flavor of game. I've got Wolf and Walking Dead 1 and 2. I think I even have Game of Thrones. Got them all from PS+ and/or Gold.
I'm kinda in the mood to shoot things. Would you believe I haven't finished Metro Last Light yet? Onto that.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
They are a very particular flavor of game. I've got Wolf and Walking Dead 1 and 2. I think I even have Game of Thrones. Got them all from PS+ and/or Gold.
I'm kinda in the mood to shoot things. Would you believe I haven't finished Metro Last Light yet? Onto that.
Yeah, I haven't been in a TT mood for a while. Other games in the same kind of dynamic ended up coming along and grabbing my attention when TT was winding down and I think that's what happened(I played the first Life is Strange which feels similar to that whole vibe, though obviously with the Time Travel gimmick). Nightschool studios(which did Oxenfree and Afterparty) has similar dynamic of "more visual novel then puzzle solving adventure" .

Also, the Adventure game genre is healthy again(which TT helped revive with their early Sam and Max games, so props there) so I've been more likely to jump into one of those instead. Wadjet, for example, has a pretty solid lineup, either developed or published. Clifftop is also showing promise with Kathy Rain(which I liked and it very much reminded me of the first Gabriel Knight game in all the best ways, but with a dash of twin peaks tossed in) and Whispers of a machine(which I've heard is good).

I've played the first Metro(and liked it, aside from the fucking Library which can go fuck itself hard) and have both of the sequels. I just haven't gotten around to them yet, which I keep thinking I should.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Yeah, I haven't been in a TT mood for a while. Other games in the same kind of dynamic ended up coming along and grabbing my attention when TT was winding down and I think that's what happened(I played the first Life is Strange which feels similar to that whole vibe, though obviously with the Time Travel gimmick). Nightschool studios(which did Oxenfree and Afterparty) has similar dynamic of "more visual novel then puzzle solving adventure" .

Also, the Adventure game genre is healthy again(which TT helped revive with their early Sam and Max games, so props there) so I've been more likely to jump into one of those instead. Wadjet, for example, has a pretty solid lineup, either developed or published. Clifftop is also showing promise with Kathy Rain(which I liked and it very much reminded me of the first Gabriel Knight game in all the best ways, but with a dash of twin peaks tossed in) and Whispers of a machine(which I've heard is good).

I've played the first Metro(and liked it, aside from the fucking Library which can go fuck itself hard) and have both of the sequels. I just haven't gotten around to them yet, which I keep thinking I should.
LOL, I am liking Afterparty but bought it accidentally (Thought I needed to to apply a $15 coupon so it would cost me $5... long story short, it cost me $20 on Epic). I didn't know anyone on Earth even knew it existed :) . I never finished Metro as I have the sequel, Last Light, and it is better. Hope you get a chance to play it.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
LOL, I am liking Afterparty but bought it accidentally (Thought I needed to to apply a $15 coupon so it would cost me $5... long story short, it cost me $20 on Epic). I didn't know anyone on Earth even knew it existed :) . I never finished Metro as I have the sequel, Last Light, and it is better. Hope you get a chance to play it.
I played Oxenfree a couple years back and dug it. When the same studio announced Afterparty I knew I was gonna be getting it at some point. If you like Afterparty, check out Oxenfree. I've yet to play AfterParty but it looks very similar to Oxenfree in.....well, a lot of things.

I'm not going to say I'm the "Obscure games guy" on the Escapist, because I'm pretty sure there's others who also play the less well known games, but I do feel like a tend to play more obscure, off-beat indies then a number of people on the forums. Granted, this is pretty much an informal impression based on the forum posts I've seen so yeah, pretty anecdotal.

I just started DS3 so I'll probably wait til after I finish that before trying Metro, assuming I'm not Apocalypsed out.

Last edited: