Renaming Earth, because its a boring name.

ED-Tw0 ZeRo N9nE

Jan 12, 2012
Pinkie-Pie-Party said:
Ectoplasmicz said:
Keith.

Lets name our planet 'Keith'.
Haha, thanks, best laugh I've had all day. I agree, lets make this happen: Planet Keith.
"Tim, Tim.... terrible name, it implies a weak character, I'm going to call you Keith"

Captcha: heavens to betsy
*Taps foot* Why exactly do you have a problem with my name? It's worked perfectly fine for me going on 26 years now.

Unrelated: I also get slightly irritated whenever I see the "little Timmy" thing get used whenever someone brings up children doing things they're no supposed to. There are so many names that could work there, yet for some reason mine gets to be default for bad/lame/immature. This is merely a slight pet peeve of mine, you just happened to provide the opportunity to express it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Regnes said:
The Earth's proper name is Terra, just like The Sun's name is actually Helios.
The Sun's name is actually Fred. I can't believe how hurtful and disrespectful you guys are to Fred.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Terra? That sounds just as boring as Earth tbh.

Call it "Tyrannical Licky Spoon 4", with the collective race being called simply "spoons". It has two advantages:

1) Its fun to say out loud.
2) If we're ever invaded by an alien fleet, they may waste time looking for the first 3 planets (Tyrannicl Licky Spoon 1, 2 & 3).

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
OhJohnNo said:
Bob.

Anyone who gets my reference wins a lifetime's supply of nothing whatsoever.
God damn it. Well there goes my idea.

While I can agree that Earth is a boring name, we should at least try to come up with something more creative than another way of saying dirt. Kind of make you wonder what aliens call our planet.

Moridinice

Feb 4, 2010
Sol 3 is what we will use. that is my guess when we are hanging at the citadel with Garrus at the pub and chatting where we are from

Ifrit7th

Apr 14, 2009
It's only boring because you heard it since the day you were born. In a way though, it doesn't really jive with the rest of the planet's names. Terra would be a good choice, but I've always been a fan of Gaia. Still though, Will Smith punching an alien and saying "Welcome to Terra" isn't nearly as amusing.

The Night Angel

Dec 30, 2011
Doc Slingblade said:
Oh sorry, that was a reference to my favourite show, 'the life and times of tim', his boss says that when they meet for the first time:) sorry if I offended, have absolutely nothing against your name.( I also quite like your username :p )

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I say we just wait until a first contact, and when the aliens tell us what they call our planet... we just say "that's the oddest thing, that's what WE call it."

Or simply Sol III

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
I think it's quite a good name, Earth. The other planets in sci-fi are all named like Zoron or Selius or whatever. Ours name is a little different, but if I were global emperor, I guess I'd name it Batman or Rowan Atkinson or Feargus Urquhart or something.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Richardplex said:
I'd prefer Gaia to be honest. The moon needs to be called Luna more commonly too, luna is such a pretty name.
Well, technically, it is called Luna, we just call it 'moon' because its a moon, and its our moon.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
OP: I'd rename Earth... Nirn.

I like Nirn. Nirn is a fun word to say.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Jaeke said:
Richardplex said:
I'd prefer Gaia to be honest. The moon needs to be called Luna more commonly too, luna is such a pretty name.
Well, technically, it is called Luna, we just call it 'moon' because its a moon, and its our moon.
Hence why I said more commonly, ala I can call it such without being given queer looks by everyone in the vicinity.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Jaeke said:
OP: I'd rename Earth... Nirn.

I like Nirn. Nirn is a fun word to say.
Europe gets to be Tamriel, we called it. We get to be Tamriel. Everyone else can decide what they are between Yokuda, Aldmeris, Akavir, and Atmora. Have at it.

I'm a diplomat.

ED-Tw0 ZeRo N9nE

Jan 12, 2012
Pinkie-Pie-Party said:
Doc Slingblade said:
Oh sorry, that was a reference to my favourite show, 'the life and times of tim', his boss says that when they meet for the first time:) sorry if I offended, have absolutely nothing against your name.( I also quite like your username :p )
Oh, well if that's the case, then don't worry about it. I haven't seen that show and therefore didn't catch the reference. I wouldn't say I'm offended persay, it just bugs me a tad is all. Much like stubbing your toe, it does no real damage, but it is a little frustrating. Like I said, it's just a pet peeve of mine, most of us have at least one. So, with that under the bridge, is the show good? Should I check it out?

RagTagBand

Jul 7, 2011
Naming it Terra in spite of Earth is pointless - They mean the same thing. "Terra" means "Earth" in latin, and Likewise Terra means Earth in English.

You're literally not changing the word at all, only changing the language you're taking the noun from.

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
I kinda like it being Earth, being Earth-born and all..

However I would much prefer to be a Terran of Holy Terra, the heart of the great human empire, we shall rule..