Repair her Armor Blog

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Abomination said:
Blow_Pop said:
~Snip~
I mean I love my demon hunter in diablo 3. I mean look at how badass she looks. But to me, those heels look uncomfortable as hell. And they are at least 5 inch heels. This coming from someone with no fashion sense whatsoever and confirmed by those with a fashion sense and the ability to judge heel height.

and yes I know the size quality of some of the photos sucks. Can't help what my phone decides to do.

and that was a gif I made off of a website using my webcam set to show my desktop. It was a pain in the ass to do as my laptop doesn't like doing much of anything. If photo doesn't work, original can be found here: http://gifyo.com/GamerBunny/9279669/
Did you just take a PHOTO of your screen?

You do know there's a printscreen button that does that for you, so you can paste it straight into... I dunno... Microsoft Paint, right?
Except for the fact that my printscreen button seems to not work when I'm in Diablo. It will take a photo of my desktop but not my Diablo screen so yes. That is exactly how I had to do that. And it was a while ago. Cause that was back when I was like level 15/20 ish. And now I'm almost 60 (of course if I played more I'd already be at 60 but oh well). Point is, I'm not an idiot like you're implying. My laptop just hates me and hates doing things I want it to do.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
This is all very well with the whole upholding progressive womens values and such but sometimes I just want to see a naked woman in a giant washing machine where the water is replaced with semen.

There isn't anything wrong or grotesque about that, no matter what they say in Iceland.

Gaming is about fantasy and I worry sometimes that our concerns about whether or not games are portraying women as anything other than fuck-toys or victims may segue into a movement to take away my chainsaw themed splatter thrills.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Dr. Cakey said:
Areala? MORE LIKE AREOLA LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
*snicker* What? no I'm not laughing. I'm far to mature for that. <.<

Lieju said:
I especially like it when they show how the male equivalent looks like in the game.

Many are just recolourings, or people drawing on top of an existing picture, so it doesn't fix the silly posture, but not everyone is an artist. I like it that you can submit reworkings too, in case you aren't talented enough to draw it yourself.
Escher girls is the one that fixes posture and some of the artist that submit are quite good and give anatomy tips (though lately not so much). The comments are often funny though that can get a little over bored at times.
http://eschergirls.tumblr.com/

Posture tends to annoy me more than costume, You can still be bad-ass while not wearing much but breaking you back to show of your tits and ass at the same time with vacant expression on your face makes you look like an idiot. You would be forgiven for think some heroines have an ass made of titanium and are trying to use it as a shield. But this is getting off topic and someone will likely interpret this as angry ranting (it's not) so I should probably stop.

Anyway what are some examples of guys who need their armor repaired?
There's

But Tera's rather low hanging fruit.

I vaguely remember Thor also rocking the chain sleeves but no shirt at some point but I can't remember what issue and think he was lounging around although that's still wtf.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Aaron Sylvester said:
Although I'm somewhat liking one or two examples from an artistic perspective...but if I wanted to see quality art of beautiful "non-offensive" females I'd just go to DeviantArt >_>

I have seen people complain about armours such as them. Because the chest plate is clearly designed to show she has breasts, rather than being a single flat piece like a males.

I am being entirely serious. It was on this forum and they said they wrote to the developer to suggest they change it.

In fact, somebody has done one similar on that blog:

I can get why people find the pictures in the OP eye-rollingly bad, but things like this just irk me. The person who made it did mention that they weren't bothered by the original armour that much, but they still chose a rather pathetic example.

Not that I dislike the altered image, I just don't like the way it was used and why.

I also don't mind when people use the "overly-sexual" line of complaint, but it really gets on my nerves when people use the "it's unrealistic" argument. You can rip any piece of fiction to shreds based upon how realistic or believable it is.

A lack of realism should only be an issue if it's jarring, and that only really happens when it stands out from other parts of the fiction.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
I don't understand how people can see this and still say there's nothing wrong with the portrayal of women. How they could look at this and think that ALL of these clothing designs were just...a person trying to tell a story? It was in no way to say "LOOK! TITS! ASS!! PUUUUSSSSSYYYY!!!! WE HAVE IT! BUY US SO YOU CAN LOOK AT MORE WOMEN'S BODIES!!"

This isn't about trying to make all women cover up. Real women can and should be able to wear what they like. But these women are all designs that very much look like they were designed by men FOR MEN. I have absolutely no problem with eye candy...in moderation and spread out equally among men and women.

These characters, though possibly near and dear to their creators hearts, or at the very least their clothing are very obviously only meant for one thing: to show off their bodies. It doesn't matter if they're dynamic, interesting, strong, cowardly, shy, outgoing, silly, serious, smart, idiotic...all that matters is "how can we position her so that she shows more of her ass?" "Oh make certain you can see her nipples...though shouldn't she be wearing a bra? well that's not sexy enough so who the hell cares?"

If a female character is very much in charge of her sexuality and flaunts it and likes being skimpy, GREAT! Or if a female character is simply not bothered by her nudity or is somehow socially inept that she doesn't realize or care about modesty? GREAT! If a character is somehow in tune with nature and therefore doesn't feel the need for restricive clothing? GREAT! But ALL of them being like that? That's ridiculous. And that's pretty much ALL I see.

I'm certain you all know Harley Quinn. Just about every nerd does. And guess what she's REALLY sexy. I may be a straight female, but I know it. She's got nice breats, long legs, a thin body, a really pretty face, and gorgeous blue eyes....but you didn't notice that because she was always wearing a bikini, she was often covered up and otherwise in shorts and a t-shirt. If a character is sexy, she's sexy, she doesn't have to bear all to portray that. And guess what else? She was compelling! You got to learn about her. She was FUNNY! Oh God she was SO fucking funny! She was a little air-headed. She was dangerous. She was needy and had abandoment issues, to the point where she would stay with an abusive, psychopathic criminal to be cared for. I loved her...and now they're redesigning her to wear a badly fitting corset and shorts so short that you can probably see some ass cheek. That's not Harley Quinn.

Like I said, if a character is comfortable bearing her body for a GOOD and NATURAL reason that fits into who there are I am ALL for it. But when a very shy and quiet character is wearing nothing but a couple of scarves...that's blatant "we have to make certain her body can be seen." And when a women has no personality, no alliance, does nothing, says nothing, doesn't help, doesn't hinder, and then has her tits and ass out, that's blantant "you serve no purpose than to make men want to purchase this because that's all your good for."

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Legion said:

I can get why people find the pictures in the OP eye-rollingly bad, but things like this just irk me a great deal. The person who made it did mention that they weren't bothered by the original armour that much, but they still chose a rather pathetic example.
I don't think she was really using it as an example. From sounds of it she just likes the redesign. I prefer it too though there is nothing wrong with the original.

Although I don't think Tifa needed a redesign either.

Legion said:
I also don't mind when people use the "overly-sexual" argument, but it really gets on my nerves when people use the "it's unrealistic" argument. You can rip any piece of fiction to shreds based upon how realistic or believable. Realism should only be an issue if it's jarring, and that only really happens when it stands out from other parts of the fiction.
I agree that armor doesn't need to realistic just consistent with the internal logic of the piece of fiction. It's why I'm ok with "boob plate" (though I think having it rounded rather than molded to the boobs looks better a lot of time) because few fantasy things are actually realistic with how plate works and don't take into account how the shape effects the way force distributed. If they did it would really restrictive with what you could do with the design. Unfortunately a lot time guys end up in decently protective looking stuff while girls end up in stuff that looks like underwear and it is jarring.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Abomination said:
Wouldn't naked women have double the effect as a naked man? Not only are they willing to fight naked but they're also WOMEN fighting naked.

Any opponent is bound to either underestimate a naked female or at least be somewhat confused by the scenario.
Well, I just brought it up because historically there were some cultures that had men who fought bare-chested or completely naked. Some Gaul tribes featured this. While the majority of warriors would still don armour or clothes to battle, some would neglect them and go bare chested/naked to display their heroism and fearlessness, so the Conan thing isn't quite so far-fetched. Women on the other hand, have no such historical example. The only culture I can think of where women played an active role in warfare as equals alongside men are the Scythians, and even then, they fought from horseback and wore pretty covering garments, and sometimes completely protective armour. So no naked barbarians there. Haha.
I don't think it matters whether or not there's a historical basis for it since we're talking about fictional fantasy works. Just cause it hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't be applied to women as well. "Fighting bare chested shows off how confident I am," could reasonably be applicable to either gender regardless of actual historical instances, and has been said, could serve as a distraction of sorts.

Plus since we're these sorts of things revolve around practicality (like when people discuss the viability of boob armor) just cause it happened in the past for men doesn't necessarily mean it's practical, so I don't think Conan's look is justifiable on those grounds.

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
Legion said:
Aaron Sylvester said:
Although I'm somewhat liking one or two examples from an artistic perspective...but if I wanted to see quality art of beautiful "non-offensive" females I'd just go to DeviantArt >_>

I have seen people complain about armours such as them. Because the chest plate is clearly designed to show she has breasts, rather than being a single flat piece like a males.

I am being entirely serious. It was on this forum and they said they wrote to the developer to suggest they change it.

I can get why people find the pictures in the OP eye-rollingly bad, but things like this just irk me. The person who made it did mention that they weren't bothered by the original armour that much, but they still chose a rather pathetic example.

Not that I dislike the altered image, I just don't like the way it was used and why.

I also don't mind when people use the "overly-sexual" line of complaint, but it really gets on my nerves when people use the "it's unrealistic" argument. You can rip any piece of fiction to shreds based upon how realistic or believable it is.

A lack of realism should only be an issue if it's jarring, and that only really happens when it stands out from other parts of the fiction.
... But real armor for women did have boob shapes to accommodate for said boobs. Because we have boobs, and squishing those buggers is really damned uncomfortable and they move all over the damn place when you're swinging your arms! Not to mention the sweat under them, and in a metal chestplate at that, fighting for hours on end getting soaked in blood and sweat... Okay, so a metal bikini makes a little more sense now in that regard.

I wonder how many soldiers literally got cooked alive in their armor throughout history?

Sometimes I don't even understand my own gender.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
Mid Boss said:
So I came across this just now. It's an art blog where artists can submit outfit redesigns for girls from anime, gaming, and comic books. The intent is to remove the string bikinis and fetish fap material and put them in outfits you.... might actually wear when heading into a fight? I guess the intent is to show that, with the smallest amount of effort, you can make a female character look sexy AND ready to fight.

http://repair-her-armor.tumblr.com/

Here's an example

Before:

After:

I would contend that they rename the blog to Repair Their Armor and include guys in this because... This guy right here

needs some clothes... some actual armor would be even better. Arnie is one arrow away from being 250 pounds of very manly fertilizer.
Oddly enough, the re-design of Avengylne's outfit (she's the one with the sword) is pretty close to her original fighting clothes in the comic (bicycle shorts, crop top & short jacket over the top). She stated in the comic that it was to give her freedom of movement.
I stopped reading the comic when they changed her costume to the monstrosity shown on the un-modded cover, and the story went from pants-on-head stupid to beat-your-head-against-a-wall-for-reading-it stupid.
More armor isn't always better--remember that a retarius was given 5 to 1 odds over a secutor,
but yes many of the costume designs for female comics/games characters are beyond ridiculous.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
Legion said:

I like how in that particular example even if that girl actually had breasts large enough to fill the original armor, they either massively reduced her bust and/or pancake-squished her poor breasts to the point where that could be very uncomfortable :S

It is pretty sad when people play the realism card (out of all thing to pick on lol).

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
Miyenne said:
I wonder how many soldiers literally got cooked alive in their armor throughout history?
Actually makes me think of the old comic 'Warlord' where all the characters, male & female wore skimpy
outfits because the world that they were in had a tropical climate, and you'd pass out if you tried to
wear armor all of the time. I think it was even once stated that in any scene where
a character had full armor on they put it on *right* before the battle.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Little Woodsman said:
Miyenne said:
Actually makes me think of the old comic 'Warlord' where all the characters, male & female wore skimpy
outfits because the world that they were in had a tropical climate, and you'd pass out if you tried to
wear armor all of the time. I think it was even once stated that in any scene where
a character had full armor on they put it on *right* before the battle.
Crusades got a bit like that, was often a dilemma for the knights and men at arms, wear it a lot and cook, or hope that your pickets and out riders got word in time for you to don it in case of attack.

Though loose fitting full length outfits not dissimilar to a dress for both sexes are common in Arabian and North African cultures for a reason.

Allowances for female form in chest-pieces, even a certain stylization/idealization of whats underneath is hardly out of keeping with what men have worn in the past. Roman officers at least certainly went through a phase of having stylized muscles on their breastplates.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Some people in the thread that are complaining about how the revamps sometimes get rid of the boobshaped plate, here you go: [link]http://martwhim.tumblr.com/post/40061546009/why-do-you-hate-the-shape-of-breasts-in-plate-armor-so[/link]

A nice explanation how in real life boob plate might actually kill you. I personally don't mind boob plate all that much, although it wholly depends on the setting. It bothers me a bit in games like Skyrim and Mass Effect, but not so much in JRPGs where skinny-ass dudes can wield swords bigger and wider than themselves. I will say that out of these two...

Legion said:

... I totally think the second one looks a lot cooler. But then I'm an ancient a thirty-something straight female, lol.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
Ooh, looks like an interesting blog! I already follow eschergirls, so this is right up my alley.

Miyenne said:
I just wish it was realistic. I can't even lift my arms above my head without my bra trying to pop off, and I have average sized boobs. It's just not realistic. Doing even something simple like yoga in underwear? Bits everywhere.
Sorry, this is really off-topic, but I have to say that this sounds like you might be wearing the wrong size. I used to have similar issues (= having to always readjust my breasts back in the cups after picking up something from the floor, etc. ughh!) before I finally measured myself and bought better fitting bras.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
trollnystan said:
A nice explanation how in real life boob plate might actually kill you. I personally don't mind boob plate all that much, although it wholly depends on the setting. It bothers me a bit in games like Skyrim and Mass Effect, but not so much in JRPGs where skinny-ass dudes can wield swords bigger and wider than themselves. I will say that out of these two...
Skyrim I can certainly see but...why is Mass Effect such a stickler? The shields kinda take the brunt of the damage in that universe.

darlarosa

May 4, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
It remind me of that blog (was also a thread made about it months ago) who redesign various comicbook girls (mainly Marvel, DC and Vampirella) for fun, that is until he took it off when some people took way too serious about it.
I had a look at the blog itself and I got to say it's impressive that she even took on that scandalous game Scarlet Blade.
that's the eschergirls tumblr I think.

All the redesigns are pretty great.

I've always had an issue with the lack of putting females in more believable armor. It's like there is this compulsion to emphasize a woman's femaleness for no apparent reason half the time. It's one thing when you have a sexual character, but its another thing to take a character and make her near naked for no real reason. People can design what they want, but the problem is that the overwhelming number of females tend to be sexualized in certain genres when compared to men.
Sometimes I look at things and I just roll my eyes and think "can we just have a female character not be sexy?"...it just feels awkward when an avatar is near naked or her boobs are nearly falling out. At times it feels almost like a bunch of porn has popped up on my computer or tv screen. It's like a reminder that a particular game wasn't necessarily made with the intention of someone like me playing, at worst it's almost like being outright told my patronage isn't needed, regardless of if its true that's what it ends up feeling like. In short it's a pretty shitty feeling.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Gatx said:
Of course it isn't practical. In history, the warriors who chose to go to battle naked would have been cut down all the more easier. I was simply citing some history. To them, it wasn't about being practical. It was about being fearless, courageous, a banner of heroism to their comrades and a show of utter resistance to their enemies. You could well apply these traits to Conan and the Hyborean Age, as it is quite a barbaric world where such warriors would have been common had it existed. As far as practical goes, in Howard's books, Conan wears armour more often than not anyway, as he does in the first movie too.

As for the whole 'distraction' thing, I seriously doubt it. No seasoned warrior would drop his guard just because a pair of breasts is in front of him. He might show some admiration to the bravery, or contempt for the foolishness, but no real distraction would be caused. If a warrior was distracted by such a thing, he was a dead man walking anyway.